Looking into start expiditing

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
I'm currently driving a bus shuttling frac crews and I'm looking into getting into expediting with my class b cdl. I'm green to this so any and all information would be greatly appreciated. First am I an employee or contract? Who covers insurance? What is dead head? Am I paid by miles or by load? In the 60/40 split if I take the 40 what is a ballpark of pay that I would be bringing home? Is solo or team better? What kind of medical benefits are offered and by who? Do I pick how long I am out and how long I'm off?

Not sure if I've covered all the areas but those are the questions I have. If anyone else has more information that I have not covered please, please do not hesitate to tell me.

neilblack

Rookie Expediter
When the library at Alexandra was destroyed the world lost the knowledge grained by civilizations.
We don't have that problem here,
Are library here is called FORUMS.
Please read them for enjoyment, educations

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Those are the million dollar questions everyone wants to have answers to, here it is: "it depends"!

Almost all expedited is via contractor (with few exceptions), so self employed, if you don't own a vehicle, then sub contracted to someone who does, so still self employed, you pay ALL the taxes and buy your own health insurance any any other things you want or need. Most of your other questions can be answered by a specific fleet owner. The easy question is what is deadhead; deadhead is miles traveled to pick up freight, it may or may not be paid depending on carrier and your contract with a fleet owner, if not specifically paid then you need to figure that into the paid freight rate to see if it is worth the deadhead miles before you accept the load.

Reactions: vandriver2

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
"if not specifically paid then you need to figure that into the paid freight rate to see if it is worth the deadhead milesbefore you accept the load".
What is an example of that? I'm new to the expediting world.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
An example where deadhead isn't offered to be paid: You get offered a 300 mile load for $2.00 a loaded mile, it is 300 miles away from your current location, so now you have to drive 600 miles to deliver the load, your all in miles rate just went to $1.00 per mile. What may have been a good deal may not be a good deal now with the deadhead miles added in. Of course if you have been sitting still a few days you might still take the deal, especially if the delivery puts you in an area with lots of potential load offers. Simple example but shows the effect of deadhead miles on your settlement check.

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
Like any new industry you go into, experience will educate and that education will help you make smart financial decisions.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
An example where deadhead isn't offered to be paid: You get offered a 300 mile load for $2.00 a loaded mile, it is 300 miles away from your current location, so now you have to drive 600 miles to deliver the load, your all in miles rate just went to $1.00 per mile. What may have been a good deal may not be a good deal now with the deadhead miles added in. Of course if you have been sitting still a few days you might still take the deal, especially if the delivery puts you in an area with lots of potential load offers. Simple example but shows the effect of deadhead miles on your settlement check.
What are examples of good area loads? How do I get loads? Do I choose a from dispatch etc? What is Qualcomm?

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
Stay east of the Mississippi and North of I-40. That is unless you ge offered enough to get yourself out of that not so good area.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are examples of good area loads? How do I get loads? Do I choose a from dispatch etc? What is Qualcomm?
You asked "How do you get loads?" If you are currently 'In Service', meaning Available, a Load Dispatcher calls you up and offers you a Load, telling you all of the details of the load. What City and State it Picks up in and where it Delivers. Also, the Empty Miles (or DeadHead), Loaded Miles, How Many Pieces (skids aka wooden pallet with freight on it), the weight of the freight, the time you need to pick it up and the time it needs to be delivered, the Amount of Money the Expediting Company is Offering you.
I'm wondering if much of the written info is foreign to you and hard to understand what's even being talked about....should you perhaps call an Expediting Company's Recruiter and just say..."can you please tell me generally about expediting for someone who has a Class B Endorsement". But yours is for Passenger. Are you familiar with or have you ever driven a Tractor with double-clutching and high gears?

Last edited:

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm currently driving a bus shuttling frac crews and I'm looking into getting into expediting with my class b cdl. I'm green to this so any and all information would be greatly appreciated. First am I an employee or contract? Who covers insurance? What is dead head? Am I paid by miles or by load? In the 60/40 split if I take the 40 what is a ballpark of pay that I would be bringing home? Is solo or team better? What kind of medical benefits are offered and by who? Do I pick how long I am out and how long I'm off?

Not sure if I've covered all the areas but those are the questions I have. If anyone else has more information that I have not covered please, please do not hesitate to tell me.
Hi Kim, I'm Curious....how did you learn of Expediting? Why are you interested in it as opposed to driving a Bus?

Reactions: RoadTime

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Qualcomm is like a small ON Board Computer in a sense that is installed in your Truck. The Expediting Company and you can communicate on it. You can type into it. You recieve your load and pay info on it and more. Satellite transmission.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I would write all of your questions down like you did above and make an appointment to speak with a or several local Expediting Recruiters.
Kim, Many of your questions are answered here throughout this Online Site but you need to spend lots of time reading past posts and maybe Google Searching a few new words or Terms that you don't understand.
You will learn a lot if you persevere and have patience in your daily reading.

Reactions: quadflyer1

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
Hi Kim, I'm Curious....how did you learn of Expediting? Why are you interested in it as opposed to driving a Bus?

The oil and gas is slowing down and my paychecks have been getting smaller and smaller. Currently I've been off over a week when it used to be 2 and a half days and working 6 days at a time. And I've seen the straight trucks on the interstates that I drive on taking the frac crews home because they're going on their days off.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
A Qualcomm is like a small ON Board Computer in a sense that is installed in your Truck. The Expediting Company and you can communicate on it. You can type into it. You recieve your load and pay info on it and more. Satellite transmission.

Ok nice thank you for that info.

Kim

New Recruit
Driver
I would write all of your questions down like you did above and make an appointment to speak with a or several local Expediting Recruiters.
Kim, Many of your questions are answered here throughout this Online Site but you need to spend lots of time reading past posts and maybe Google Searching a few new words or Terms that you don't understand.
You will learn a lot if you persevere and have patience in your daily reading.

I've been reading through the newbie area posts etc. Where would you suggest I start to get familiar with things? I know many have asked is there good money to bed made and from what I gather it just depends. It seems there are highs and lows as there is with any industry etc.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The oil and gas is slowing down and my paychecks have been getting smaller and smaller. Currently I've been off over a week when it used to be 2 and a half days and working 6 days at a time. And I've seen the straight trucks on the interstates that I drive on taking the frac crews home because they're going on their days off.
So you are thinking of driving a ST (straight truck) for a Fleet Owner? Your take home will be half of what you could be earning if you bought your own...BUT! it would be EXTREMELY wise on your part to drive someone else's vehicle FIRST, whether it's a ST or Van before you decide to purchase. You will have less control, less say not being an Owner Operator. I'm sure you have good common sense and know that. You will be States away, sometimes more than 1500 miles away from Home at times. If you have children, husband, boyfriend, grandchildren, doctors appt.'s, a lot of Debt.....things you must be present for frequently....this type of otr (over the road) driving may not be for you.
With a Class B, you could find a steady local delivery job or dump truck job earning probably $12-16 /hr. and be home every night.
In Expediting there are Weeks and Months where you are VERY lacking in $ and Weeks and Months where you are earning A LOT of $. So you would have to have a chunk of money to Pad those dry times. You would need to be a VERY Patient Person who doesn't mind sleeping in Parking Lots, Truck Stops and be great at Navigating and like Roughing it. In a Straight Truck as a Team, you would have more opportunity to drive long hauls as you would be under HOS Laws (Hours of Service). But keep in mind, you and that person had better get along and REALLY be considerate of each other....someone will be driving the Night Hours. There's a lot to consider in an otr profession.
DON'T BUY ANY VEHICLE UNTIL YOU'VE DRIVEN OTR a MINIMUM of 6 mos. to a YEAR in someone else's VEHICLE. Just my thoughts.