looking for answers to a couple of questions that

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sitting in Memphis,Tn.. bored and I have a couple of questions that I have wanted to know the answers to.. 1st question, there is a sign in Kentucky on I-75 south of Lexington that says something like, no STAA trucks next exit. what is STAA... 2ND question have you ever seen a tanker truck hauling helium , what keeps the trailer on the ground.. as you can tell by these post I have way to much time on my hand but maybe I will sleep better knowing these answers.. thanks and be safe

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
RE: looking for answers to a couple of questions t

While this term has never been defined, it is used to denote vehicles for which the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 (STAA) provided width and length requirements. These are principally truck tractor-semitrailer combinations with 48 feet or longer grandfathered length semitrailers and twin trailer combinations where neither exceeds 28 feet in length, plus specialized equipment such as automobile and boat transporters. STAA vehicles must be accorded reasonable access between the NN and terminals and facilities for food, fuel, repairs, and rest.

They have cement in their tires to keep from floating.

-charlotte

p.s now get to bed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I always thought the tankers hauling helium have to fill the bottom of the tank with those little weights they use for bunches of balloons....:+

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's what makes E/O the best source for information on the webb. it only took 8 minutes after I posted and had my answer.. {yawn} now I can get some sleep.. thanks for the such a fast reply.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter

I always thought helium was transported by the Goodyear blimp. I figured they had plenty of time to deliver the stuff that they just hovered over the race tracks and ball games just cause they pilot liked to watch the action below.
:+ :+

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter

I saw on the news this week that there is a severe helium shortage right now (I really did). I guess there has been some tankers floating away...

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

How do you contain and clean up a helium spill?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Gravity doesn't exist, the Earth sucks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I too was told about a helium shortage. I was told this at a Praxair depot when I was picking up a load. The guy there told us that the helium mines in Texas were drying up. I had no idea the stuff was mined. He said that if they did not find new sorces soon they would run out. Since helium in the only thing cold enough to cool MRI machines this will be a big problem. He said that the people that make MRI machines are looking into a re-design to cool them with other gasses. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Helium is not mined it is a bi-product of natural gas. Bob worked at a Helium plant in Kansas that was situated next to a gas plant.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Linda, we were having so much fun with the mining of helium thing.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Greg I am such a spoil sport!!

I was trying to imagine this cavern sealed off with a pipe stinking out with a valve. Then when the blimp would arrive you could open the valve and fill her up!

Then I realized my imagination was going over board.

roadweazel

Expert Expediter

What Bill Nye The Science Guy would Say(in high pitch voice)

Helium becomes liquid at about 4 Kelvin (minus 269 Celsius). Solid helium exists at even lower temperatures but not at atmospheric pressure. It has to be twenty atmospheres to be solid.

Here is a great link [http://www.zyra.org.uk/helium.htm]

It symbol on the Extended Periodic Table is "HE" and is the 2nd element on the table.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter

>
>How do you contain and clean up a helium spill?
>

Well, DuH, you put it in balloons!

Rex

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>Helium is not mined it is a bi-product of natural gas. Bob
>worked at a Helium plant in Kansas that was situated next to
>a gas plant.

Sometimes my wife and codriver thinks she also is situated next to a natural gas plant.:7

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

>>
>>How do you contain and clean up a helium spill?
>>
>
>
>
>Well, DuH, you put it in balloons!
>
>
>Rex

Or, you bring in the clown car. :+

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!