Load 1 newbie straight truck

Budda52

New Recruit
Driver
Hello, I am sure this has been asked sevral times but I just can't find the info,
I am looking to come on with Load 1 as a contract driver starting in a straight truck, my question is as a solo driver what is a typical week money wis? I realize that may be hard to answer but I'm just looking if I can support my family before making a bad decision.
Thank you guys,

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
First thing to do is Monday morning call Load One and ask for Brian in the recruiting department. He's the best and won't BS you. He tells you the truth!

Budda52

New Recruit
Driver
I spoke with Brian and he has put me in touch with two different fleet owners. One with straight trucks and one with a tractor and or straight truck. I get conflicting dollar amounts from both. I'm all set to go just need to decide.

Reactions: DollarSign

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning, I understand your concern about income. But that is hard answer to give anyone. Their are numerous variables that effect how much you can make. I can tell you this, I've been with Load 1 for over 5 years as a Solo, Owner/ Operator.I also own a second truck and that driver has been with Load1 even longer.

You have weeks that this is the best move you ever made, and others that make you thing about flipping burgers down at McDonald's. Overall though if you are willing to put in the effort and stay out long enough, you should be able to make it

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We are fleet owners at load one also. While putting a number on things is hard to do, we generally see that our solo driver are averaging a range of 5/6 to 800 a week depending. That number can go up or down but when you average all the weeks that is about where it falls.

Reactions: jelliott

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you had a solo do $25,000 last year and your other solo driver did $40,000 then your drivers averaged $32,500 per year.
An average of $625 per week.
My point is an average should be a number, not a range.
One is a fact, the other is quite possibly a guess.
You can qualify it to our high guy did almost $800 and the low driver did almost $500.
And when you state $500 to $800 per week is that week's worked or averaged over the year ?
I wonder how many people say I can make it on $800 per week but then as the bill collectors come realize they only work 40 weeks per year.
EDIT: 40 weeks per year figures working 3 weeks and taking a week at home. This is reasonable and typical.
Also, any week with a holiday has the potential to be a short week. A 3 or 4 day work week.
The conflicting answers may be the same income, just reported differently.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Although SWTexas always gives good answers, I do ok so you should do ok tells the OP nothing.
Budda, you need to say I need $20,000 per year after taxes or I need $55,000 per year after taxes or whatever the number is.
Also, how much hometime do you require ?
Then people can guess if this is a good fit for you.

Edit: corrected typos

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
this is expediting, you cant put one figure on weekly income, it is always a range in average over the weeks worked in a year. a year for our fleet is 4 weeks on and 1 whole week off !!!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So a solo for you makes from 5 to 8 hundred per week.
And that could 40 weeks per year. Or 52 weeks.
So between $20,000 to $41,600.,
Pretty easy for the OP to work off that answer.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there a reason the OP couldn't get an answer like "We have two solo's. We 1099'd one $xx,xxx and the other $xx,xxx." ?
Then maybe give the OP clues like "the higher guy worked 5 more weeks or lives near a major shipper.....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Guess we could have but with the info given and a little simple math you get to the answer. We rarely get that question posed that way to us by perspective drivers, its most always, what is the average weekly income.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well if you take A or B or C times D, or maybe E, you get the answer.

I think I'm probably as good at math as you.
Good info is needed.

When a newb, who doesn't yet understand expediting asks about potential income, he often gets smoke and mirrors.

Garbage taken out.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always tried to stay away from a hard numbers, there are just to many things that differ from driver to driver.
Is this person and Owner / Operator.
If they are going to drive for an owner what is the pay program.
Where do they live.
How much home time do they need.
Is there home time flexible.
What kind of truck.
Do they run all 48 or local, Canada, haz-mat etc....
And thats just some of the things that can effect money.
I've found it's easier for me to let them tell me what they are looking for, and then answer if I think that it's a workable situation

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums