Litte known threat.. "Dry Drowning"

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
This was on the news yesterday, blew my mind.. I'd never heard of it. We've all had kids, grandkids etc swimming, and they breathe a bit of water and come up sputtering. Well, apparently there are cases when water can sit in the lungs and slowly drown them. They can breathe well enough that it doesn't affect them quickly, but it slowly makes the lungs stop working.

‘Dry drowning’ claims 10-year-old’s life - Health - MSNBC.com

Definately worth knowing the signs of it.

Dale

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I called my daughter in law and told her to go read this story.
She has signed my Grandkids up for swimming lessons in a couple weeks. Just wanted to make sure she knew about this.
Kinda scary to me..makes me a might nervous for them to
go learn to swim now.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I called my daughter in law and told her to go read this story.
She has signed my Grandkids up for swimming lessons in a couple weeks. Just wanted to make sure she knew about this.
Kinda scary to me..makes me a might nervous for them to
go learn to swim now.
Yes, it's really scary, because the symptoms are so vague, and easily overlooked. On the other hand, not knowing how to swim, is even scarier, IMO. I took my granddaughter to learn to swim classes, when she was 3 yrs old, because I think every kid should at least be able to avoid drowning because they don't know how to dogpaddle, even.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
We are still going through with the swimming
lessons. I just wanted her to know about this. When my son was about 6 I had him
go through 2 sets of lessons. The second set was just to make sure.. he is a very good
swimmer. Hope all my grandkids get to be
also. they are all crazy about water..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Many people will tell that you most children under the age of 5 can't handle formal swimming instruction. Horse hockey. They can.

And considering the number one cause of death for children 4 years old and under is drowning, every kid over the age of 6 months needs to learn how not to drown.

Go here, watch the video.
Infant Swimming Resource | Home

Watch this one, too.
Home

They teach infants how to "right" themselves onto their back when the fall into water. That's important because water attracts kids like crazy. These kids learn progressively, starting in diapers, then until they can do it with ease while fully clothed, then as they get a little older they learn how to actually swim (1 year old and older). But initially, the important thing, is Drowning Prevention, as Cheri notes, and these folks are the real deal.

I have a friend who was bathing her 8 month old son when she had a seizure (her first one ever, and hasn't had any since) and passed out onto the bathroom floor for somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes. Her son had been through the at least the first stages of the program, and when she regained consciousness she found him happily floating on his back in the tub, eyes open, breathing, smiling. The kid's 3 years old now and swims circles around 12 year olds.

As soon as I (and my two younger brothers) started crawling my parents started us in swimming lessons. To this day I am just as comfortable in the water as I am out of it. Granted, I didn't learn under the same program as the Infant Swimming Resource program, but I do have pictures of me at 8 months old floating on my back in a pool, grinnin' like a little idiot, so whatever the program was, it worked. :)

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I've seen those shows where they teach infants to float like that. It's pretty neat. I took swimming lessons when I was little....my Dad let go of me in the deep end of the pool...Lol.

I'm scared of water.