Laredo texas bans plastic bags, kinda

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope they do a nationwide ban eventually! They are really a bad thing.IMO. If you've ever been around a landfill site...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As convenient and useful as plastic bags are, I've been against them back since they first replaced paper bags at the grocery store. Plastics, like diamonds, are forever. It was a little jarring at fir when I got down there 3 weeks ago and went into the TA and bought several things which required a bag. "We done give bags anymore." You'd think they would have replaced them with paper bags, but no, that would be too much of a convenience for the customer. Next time I went in I simply brought my own bag. I'm fine with that.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the HEB in Laredo checking out a few food items...the woman looked at me and asked if zi brought my bags.
I looked surprised "bags?, nope" and she said "Oh, you're not from around here!" She Edumacated me.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . Next time I went in I simply brought my own bag. I'm fine with that.
mqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Before I had gone to the TA I had gone to Walmart to get a prescription filled. I didn't buy anything else when I was there. But I noticed a remarkable number of people in the parking lot loading their purchases into their vehicles using those cloth resuable Walmart bags they have for sale in there. I also noticed like everyone leaving the store pushing carts that had stuff in those and similar bags. I usually see just a scant handful of people engaging in that practice. I though, "Wow, these people down here are some hard core ultra-responsible environmentalist all of a sudden." I then went in and filled the prescription and didn't give it another thought.

Until I got to the TA. And it all made sense.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Or if this a new way to cut cost
In a round about way, yeah. But it cut costs for the city. Too many plastic bags getting caught in the sewer drains and water treatment plants that have to be dug out. Too many of them littering the beautiful scrub brush.

When I found out about the plastic bag ban, I went online and read news reports about it all.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
l have spent a lot of time on the gulf of Mexico off of Florida. You would be shocked at the amount of wildlife l have seen injured or killed from plastic grocery bags. Fish, turtles, birds and dolphins all are affected by those bags getting loose and flying around. it's tragic.

Reactions: vandriver2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, plastic to plastic. The sooner we get rid of plastic bags the better.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before I had gone to the TA I had gone to Walmart to get a prescription filled. I didn't buy anything else when I was there. But I noticed a remarkable number of people in the parking lot loading their purchases into their vehicles using those cloth resuable Walmart bags they have for sale in there. I also noticed like everyone leaving the store pushing carts that had stuff in those and similar bags. I usually see just a scant handful of people engaging in that practice. I though, "Wow, these people down here are some hard core ultra-responsible environmentalist all of a sudden." I then went in and filled the prescription and didn't give it another thought.

Until I got to the TA. And it all made sense.
?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
l have spent a lot of time on the gulf of Mexico off of Florida. You would be shocked at the amount of wildlife l have seen injured or killed from plastic grocery bags. Fish, turtles, birds and dolphins all are affected by those bags getting loose and flying around. it's tragic.
Same happens with livestock cattle especially .... Eating the plastic against the fences

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Washington DC and some counties in Maryland also charge 5 cents for bags. They say it not for revenue, but give it time and they will figure an excuse to use it for something stupid. It supposed to be to keep down on the waste into waters and streams.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure the logic is sound. 5 cents per bag does nothing to keep those bags from ending up in the sewers and landfills. For a dollar, I could feasibly throw 20 bags in a sewer, and that $1.00 that I paid makes it alright?