Just ask for 20, one dollar bills and get over it...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree with Greta. This is just stupid. I don't have a problem with Harriet Tubman being on currency. Personally, I'm fine with rotating out the people on the paper currency every 10 years or so. Or even putting the President on the front of, say, a 5 Dollar bill and the Vice President on the back, every 4 years (just so people will know who the Vice President is <snort>).

The $20 began in 1861 with Lady Liberty on the face, and over the years it's had many people and things on the face, including a depiction of the Battle of Lexington, Pocahontas, Alexander Hamilton, James Garfield, Stephen Decatur, Daniel Manning, John Marshall, Hugh McCulloch and even George Washington. An 1861 Liberty $20 bill in "fine" or "excellent" condition is worth upwards to $20,000, by the way.

But replacing Jackson with Tubman is nothing more than one more in a long string of efforts of the Obama administration to divide the country. It's an over-reaching attempt at black reparations and women appeasement, and coming up with something that's just stupid.

A brilliant and brain-dead simple idea is to put Harriet Tubman on a $25 bill.
We need a $25 bill, anyway.

It's also worth noting that Jackson was vehemently against a National Bank and against paper money. He belongs on that bill just for the irony.

It should also be noted with great iron that Andrew Jackson founded the Democratic Party and he is being replaced by Harriet Tubman, who was a gun-toting Republican.

In any event, it's not just the $20 that's getting a change. Other Women and Civil Rights leaders will be added to the back of the $5 and $10 bills.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree with Greta. This is just stupid. I don't have a problem with Harriet Tubman being on currency. Personally, I'm fine with rotating out the people on the paper currency every 10 years or so. Or even putting the President on the front of, say, a 5 Dollar bill and the Vice President on the back, every 4 years (just so people will know who the Vice President is <snort>).

The $20 began in 1861 with Lady Liberty on the face, and over the years it's had many people and things on the face, including a depiction of the Battle of Lexington, Pocahontas, Alexander Hamilton, James Garfield, Stephen Decatur, Daniel Manning, John Marshall, Hugh McCulloch and even George Washington. An 1861 Liberty $20 bill in "fine" or "excellent" condition is worth upwards to $20,000, by the way.

But replacing Jackson with Tubman is nothing more than one more in a long string of efforts of the Obama administration to divide the country. It's an over-reaching attempt at black reparations and women appeasement, and coming up with something that's just stupid.

A brilliant and brain-dead simple idea is to put Harriet Tubman on a $25 bill.
We need a $25 bill, anyway.

It's also worth noting that Jackson was vehemently against a National Bank and against paper money. He belongs on that bill just for the irony.

It should also be noted with great iron that Andrew Jackson founded the Democratic Party and he is being replaced by Harriet Tubman, who was a gun-toting Republican.

In any event, it's not just the $20 that's getting a change. Other Women and Civil Rights leaders will be added to the back of the $5 and $10 bills.
That's all fine and dandy, however, we have more important things to deal with than a face on a $20 dollar bill.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's all fine and dandy, however, we have more important things to deal with than a face on a $20 dollar bill.
Thanks for completely dismissing my thoughts as unimportant. I really appreciate it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know.

I think.

But if we have more important things to deal with than a face on a $20 dollar bill why change it in the first place?

Why does it take 14 years to get the Tub $20 into circulation?

Why do we still have pennies, since it costs 1.7 cents to manufacture each one? It won't be long before people start (illegally) melting them down.

(Last one is rhetorical. We still have pennies chiefly because of the lobbying done by Jarden Zinc Products of Greenville, TN through their astroturf lobby organization Americans for Common Cents. Jarden produces the copper-coated zinc blanks that are then stamped into pennies - they pay more than $1 million a year so they can keep that $55 million coming in.)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why was that important? How much did it cost so far and will it cost in total? Why are we wasting money we don't have on this?

On another note, I wonder how much certain people are going to like the change after they find out a Democrat is being replaced by a gun toting Republican woman.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Treasury officials announced that other depictions of women and civil rights leaders would be made public in 2020 – in time for the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment securing women’s right to vote. Caitlyn Jenner will grace the front of the new 3 dollar bill. Next year Grant will be replaced on the 50 dollar bill by Prince.