Is the 7.3 reliable in a Ford Straight truck?

Dave Johnson

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey all,

Looking at a 2000 Ford F650, 16 foot box, 72 inch sleeper, 7.3 Powerstroke. We have had 2 E350 Cutaway box vans with this motor, and they ran forever seems like. Just wondered how this would do in a heavier application tho. I know it's made by International, but how is it for over the road?

The company I'm going with has a lot of C - Unit freight, and I can get this a lot cheaper than a comparable D Unit. Truck runs real well, and is comfortable.

Thanks

Dave

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe that engine is the old tried and true DT 466.International has been producing that engine forever and it is virtually bullet proof.Just get enough Horsepower for what you think your worst applications will be and you should have many miles of trouble free driving.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
This is the International 444 series engine, used in a lot of the previous 4000 series truck. good engine +- 450 K with good maintenance friend of mine has two, each over 300 K keep cooling system clean as the right rear cylinder has had a history of overheating when worked hard.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The 7.3 Powerstroke is the International built T444 V8, and it has a great reputation as a reliable mill for medium duty trucks.
-Weave-