Is freight slow for cargo vans or is the company I

pairofjacks

Seasoned Expediter
Hey fellow expediters! I am currently leased on with a company that I have been very happy running with, but recently we haven't been getting loads to even cover our fuel charges. I drive team in a cargo van. All we are getting offered is small loads that we have to deadhead over a 100 miles to go pickup the loadand then the load only maybe goes a little over 100 miles to drop. We are in an extremely large frieght line but recently never seem to get the better runs. Are we doing something wrong or did we question too much about what is going on with the company and we are getting shoved out the door?

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
RE: Is freight slow for cargo vans or is the compa

It is July but I'd check with any other drivers you may know with your company. I'm sitting here growing moss and second guessing my company myself. Maybe they're just keeping their long term drivers busy at the expense of the newer ones. That is a commendable loyalty stance for them to take. Unfortunately, it does'nt help you or me. July is supposed to be one of the slower months though.

Rollo

Seasoned Expediter

You may hear lots of answers to this general forum question, but I feel that we are seeing changes that may be short term. Nonetheless, it seems that too many o/o's with cargo vans are making a mess out of the business. I hope that this is temporary. As a fellow cargo van operator, I have experienced much the same at times.
Recently, I changed company's to get with a much smaller one because management did not want to acknowledge favoritism or "pay-olla's" to dispatchers, or even a well documented case of recreationa drugs being used to buy favoritism from dispatchers. I have been in this business long enough to experience all of these when things get slow. As soon as management thinks you are up to something you get "black-listed" and soon are on the way out! That's our chosen career "culture." Be aware!
As soon as o/o's are in short supply the culture "tighten's-up" again!
Don't be naive to this.......it is real in my experience!

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Yep it's July,

Ahh... summer... where the kids are agitating my dogs..... where the neighbors are having their BBQs..... when the auto workers are on vacation and bragging about all the money they made.... when you know it is July by all the commericials for the employee discounts for cars trying to take all that money to away from the auto workers who bragged

Yep it's slow.......

randy123

Expert Expediter

i know what you mean about payola...its happening to me right now....and the drugs and booze are a big part of it to....seems if you dont play the game your on the bottom of the list.....