Is expediting profitable?

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Hello everyone, new here and somewhat new to expediting. I did about a 1 month stretch, really enjoyed it but unfortunately the fleet owner wasn't well regarded in the industry and we had an inside glimps as to why.

I'm looking at possibly getting back in but I had a few questions regarding the realities.

1. Can expediting be profitable as a fleet owner? (Seems like a dumb question but I've seen mixed answers)

2. Can a person get started and do ok as a solo driver?

3. Any other advice you would give someone that was interested in getting into the industry this time of year?

Thanks everyone!

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It can be profitable if you know what you are doing. Solo drivers are OK but the money is in a team. Call expediter services they are always looking for drivers but I think they are all teams now, I could be wrong!

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Go to a str8. WAAYYY to many sprinter vans out here. And yes the best would be a team in a str8.

You can profitable as a fleet owner but it's hard in today's economy. But your waayyy too early in the game to be thinking about that. Get into a str8 as a driver and test that first.

Last edited:

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
I appreciate the lifestyle. But the money isn't fantastic, at least in vans. And forget about having much of a social life.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You need to approach it as a career, not as a job. You wouldn't step into a career in plumbing, paralegal, dental technician or anything else without a significant education and preparation. This deserves and needs the same. You can get a major portion of it here. Read back 5 years in the General, Newbies and Recruiter forums, every single thread title. Take a few moments to decide if it sounds remotely educational for you and/or applicable to your situation. If the answer is yes, read every single word of that thread.

Make notes as you go in a proper notebook, both the information side as well as the questions side because it will make you have questions. You'll find answer to some of them as you go along. The ones left when you finish the 5 years of reading will be part 2 of your expediting education. You'll do further research and talk to other expediters to answer those.

That much study and education and preparation will make it much more likely you'll succeed and do well. Or you can do like so many others do and figure I've got a driver's license so I'm ready and in a few weeks/months you can dive into something else after this doesn't work.

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for all of your replies everyone. I've done the truckload driving stuff but I really want to go into a more niche market. I did the expediting thing for a short time but the fleet owner I drover for was not very respected or highly regarded in the industry. Even though my manager at FCC couldn't comment much on this, he did drop several hints as far as making the wrong decision about the fleet owner I went to. Upon doing further research I found noting but terrible opinions on this fleet owner, my final straw was when he wanted me to drive a very unsafe vehicle that wold have eight gotten me or others hurt etc. Essentially he was not very ethical and wanted me to run illegally. I plan on starting a new thread in order to really get some detailed information, if it is ok I will post the link here as well. I am truly coming at this as a business opportunity and a long term career. I really hope to get some help.

Lifesbeachy

New Recruit
Researching
What would you guys say is the key to profitability in this industry? Also, how can I average out operating expenses vs average miles per week?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
1. Can expediting be profitable as a fleet owner? (Seems like a dumb question but I've seen mixed answers)

2. Can a person get started and do ok as a solo driver?

The answer to your first two questions is yes, for some people and no for others. That's pretty much like any other business opportunity in any other industry is it not? Some people make it, some don't. It's more about what the person brings to the table and/or what the person is willing to learn and do than it is about the opportunity itself.

You are asking general questions and it appears you wish to apply the answers to you. I suggest reversing the process. Ask questions of yourself and then apply them to the opportunity.

1. What does it take to succeed as an expediter?

2. Do I have what it takes? If not, am I ready, willing and able to develop it?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
things have changed in 20 year's of doing this, but this is not my only income coming in, retired navy, sold things on the side , lap top's, pc's , mason shoes , Mary kay, new and used truck's, pro heat gen set's , truck consultant for expediting industry
if your going to start here how much money do you have, need down payment for truck, for every thousand dollar's you put down, lower 's your truck payment by $20.00 a month, (ball park figure), if you lease can start out in new truck you want track lease, unlimited miles
need money for about 2 weeks before start having money coming
how much back up money in bank to cover for slow times
for some team is best, if it is husband and wife keep money in family

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can push it into the late night hours driving. :) I just did a team load as a solo driver tx to cali in about 25 hours (total stoppage time was 3 hours) is not easy. I had to prove to dispatch what I was capable of. You gotta find a way to push and keep the wheels spinning. It takes years of spinning them to see a decent profit with rates as low as they are. Getting a shower and hot meal contending with hot and cold temps depending on the season, finding decent fuel prices. Keeping the truck well maintained for optimum longevity. There are battles out here to fight in the survival process.

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can push it into the late night hours driving. :) I just did a team load as a solo driver tx to cali in about 25 hours (total stoppage time was 3 hours) is not easy. I had to prove to dispatch what I was capable of. You gotta find a way to push and keep the wheels spinning. It takes years of spinning them to see a decent profit with rates as low as they are. Getting a shower and hot meal contending with hot and cold temps depending on the season, finding decent fuel prices. Keeping the truck well maintained for optimum longevity. There are battles out here to fight in the survival process.

So you proved to dispatch your willing to run unsafe?

Undisputed King of Short Runs

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
your putting a lot of people at risk , and remember the Walmart driver in nj is going to jail for something close to this
The poster did say Texas to California. Two large states with no mention of cities. I once did a Michigan to Ohio in about 90 minutes but nobody brags about a Detroit to Toledo load.