Is Detroit a safe place to relocate if in right neighborhood?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been looking at houses in Detroit, prices are under a 100k for a decent maintained home in a decent area.
I met a client who just bought one for under 20k in a ok area but I'd rather spend a little more to be surrounded around neighbors who care about their homes.

Do you think Detroit is coming back or is a long ways away, good place to invest? I'm not worried about high property taxes coming from places like Tx and plan to have a tenant or two to keep a watch over while gone. For under 100k I can be in a home that would cost me around 300k in Tx or CO even more. I'm ok with the winters, and I really like the proximity to Ontario. I'm considering Rosedale Park or the East English Village, if you know anything about those areas please drop a comment. Thanks!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would stay away from Rosedale Park. While it is a solid neighborhood, it's beginning to suffer from the creepy crud of blight.

The East English Village is one of the few bright spots in Detroit.

As far as Detroit's come back...... The downtown area is booming. However, cities can't survive just on downtowns. Detroit still has a long way to go. IMO of course.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look at suburbs with high rated school districts. They may cost more but generally are better bets and have stronger resale values.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other than being asked for gas money by guys driving Cadillacs, I've never been bothered, and I sleep with the windows down. Now the police in Willoughby Ohio "the courtesy city" thats another story...

I say buy. And buy a gun too. Then you're covered

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other than being asked for gas money by guys driving Cadillacs, I've never been bothered, and I sleep with the windows down. Now the police in Willoughby Ohio "the courtesy city" thats another story...

I say buy. And buy a gun too. Then you're covered

Willoughby Ohio is friendly, except to Canadians, but the will kindly follow you out of town!

Undisputed King of Short Runs

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You got a lot more guts then me. I don't even like to drive through Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I do agree, and I live here. However, with that said, we very rarely drive thru the East Village or Indian Village. These neighborhoods are like a different world from the rest of Detroit.

East English Village - Wikipedia

Indian Village, Detroit - Wikipedia

Last but not least is the West Village.

West Village, Detroit - Wikipedia

West Village is such a small neighborhood adjacent to Indian Village.
There are some dangerous areas around there.

East English Village still has good bang for the buck,

Any other recommendations in the city you would suggest Ragman?

Corktown definitely over hyped and expensive.

It will be interesting to see these neighborhoods slowly come up.

Legalized Rec MMJ certainly would have stimulated the economy like it has done everywhere else.
That won't be a option until 2018 I hear. If they vote to legalize now is certainly a good time to buy.
Real estate will shoot up 20-40%!

It's not about having the guts it's about adapting to the environment you're in to have the opportunity to live the American dream. I can't even afford St Louis. These homes of this historical value would sell for over 200k in most cities. The potential is there, some say the politics and corruption could hinder the come back.

By expediting standards you're pretty close to some east coast states as well as a short drive from Ontario (Toronto) and Chicago, not to mention Grand Rapids and the Michigan Coast Line. Ohio not worthy of mentioning :D sorry guys I hear they have good Sprinter mechanics down there lol

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Been looking at houses in Detroit, prices are under a 100k for a decent maintained home in a decent area.
I met a client who just bought one for under 20k in a ok area but I'd rather spend a little more to be surrounded around neighbors who care about their homes.

Do you think Detroit is coming back or is a long ways away, good place to invest? I'm not worried about high property taxes coming from places like Tx and plan to have a tenant or two to keep a watch over while gone. For under 100k I can be in a home that would cost me around 300k in Tx or CO even more. I'm ok with the winters, and I really like the proximity to Ontario. I'm considering Rosedale Park or the East English Village, if you know anything about those areas please drop a comment. Thanks!
Anything ever come of this?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah still watching from far away, just bummed out about the killings there... too many for my liking. It seems you have to spend 300-400k to be in a good neighborhood where you will only here gun shots in surrounding neighborhoods. All the neighborhoods with the real deals are getting kinda dangerous. I wouldn't mind something off the NW end off Grand River. Been watching houses in University District and Sherwood Forest but they are quite expensive. Also EEV seems to be too much crime and low inventory. Gross Pointe looks nice but also expensive. I did see a real nice place in Indian Village other day for around 450k its more bang for your buck then you will get in any other city the place was one of a kind! 3000 SQ FT but that is about 150k-200 over price range. Check it out here

3415 Iroquois St, Detroit, MI 48214 - realtor.com®

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah still watching from far away, just bummed out about the killings there... too many for my liking. It seems you have to spend 300-400k to be in a good neighborhood where you will only here gun shots in surrounding neighborhoods. All the neighborhoods with the real deals are getting kinda dangerous. I wouldn't mind something off the NW end off Grand River. Been watching houses in University District and Sherwood Forest but they are quite expensive. Also EEV seems to be too much crime and low inventory. Gross Pointe looks nice but also expensive. I did see a real nice place in Indian Village other day for around 450k its more bang for your buck then you will get in any other city the place was one of a kind! 3000 SQ FT but that is about 150k-200 over price range. Check it out here

3415 Iroquois St, Detroit, MI 48214 - realtor.com®

I don't know about more bang for the buck. I'd need a really good reason for wanting to live in Detroit.
If I wanted to stay in the Port Huron area, and had $450K to spend.
I could get one hell of a house for half that, and not be in Detroit ;)

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you want to live within Detroit's city limits. There are cities just on the outskirts that have less crime and have modesty priced houses.