It's a Team's Life Interesting Place to Eat The Big Texan

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Truck Parking and one of the best steaks we have ever enjoyed. When in Amarillo and hungry for a steak The Big Texan is hard to beat.

Located in Amarillo, Texas and pretty hard to miss due to the many signs advertising the "Free 72oz STEAK". There is a hotel, a horse hotel, RV park, as well as truck parking behind the restaurant. The hotel also has a swimming pool in the shape of Texas.

The outside looks like a gaudy roadside attraction and even though we used to travel to Amarillo often to shop we never ate at the Big Texan. Finally by accident and on a whim we decided to see what all the fuss was about and it did not take us long to figure out that we had been missing out all of those years.

READ MORE...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've eaten there a few times. Great steaks. Never did try for the 72oz.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Molly Schuyler not only ate one of the 72 ounce steaks, plus the side salad, baked potato, dinner roll and shrimp cocktail, in under one hour, she did it three times. Thirteen and a haf pounds of steak, plus a pound and a half of sides.

And she did it all in 20 minutes.

It's crazy, but true.

Here's the full 20 minute video that shows her doing it. It's mesmerizing.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never been but I've heard an awful lot of good things about it. It's on the bucket list, not for the 72oz steak, ever, but just to go.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it's only equivalent to driving from Detroit to Hunstville, AL. to eat. :)

Reactions: tknight

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it's only equivalent to driving from Detroit to Hunstville, AL. to eat. :)
Think of it as going from Detroit to see the Space Center, and you'll eat while you're there. In your case, you're going to take a weekend road trip to see Cadillac Ranch, a rootin' tooton' Texas tourist attraction if there ever wuz one. Then, as long as you're in the neighborhood, ya gotta eat, right? And if the Cadillac Ranch isn't enough to get you there, if you haven't seen the Grand Canyon, the Palo Duro Canyon State Park just a few minutes south of Amarillo is the next best thing, literally. It's the second largest canyon system outside of the Grand Canyon. It's quite impressive, actually, and worth seeing.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Too far? That's unAmerican, lol. The US is a place that doesn't think 200 miles is a long distance, [while the UK is a place that doesn't think 200 years is a long time]. :D
In all fairness, when I'm at home and need to to go Walmart or Kroger or Lowes, "It's aaaallll the waaaayyy on the otherrrrr side of toooowwwwnnnn!"

It's like 2 miles. Maybe.

Reactions: cheri1122

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's not too far if and when I decide to go but there are other steak places closer I enjoy. Now Palo Duro Canyon is definitely something worth seeing but there are only a few hundred other places also in the first half of a third of my list. And the Prius makes any of them a relatively economical trip, at least prior to any of the costs after the getting there. :)

Reactions: Turtle