Insurance coverage and the "multi" carrier model

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I posted this under the Load One forum but I had a number of drivers request I post it in the general forum so that it could be discussed:

Chief Executive Officer at Load One, LLC
Insurance coverage and the "multi" carrier model

I am forwarding this out to help educate brokers, 3PLs, direct shippers and my carrier's customers on a major industry update. This is very serious and applies to what is commonly referred to as the multi carrier model:

In the event of a terrible liability accident… the belief was always that it would be ugly and drawn out but that the MCS 90 would force the carrier insurance policy to pay out to cover a liability accident. Recent court case law has now struck down that false belief and there is potentially NO COVERAGE or PROTECTION for the broker, 3PL and actual shipper. Which then opens up the whole ugly world of NEGLIGENT HIRING exposure.

As Published by TEANA (The Expedite Association of North America).

Of the many topics that were covered at the TEANA meeting in Nashville there is a hot topic that the board thought was worth emailing on. For those who attended the meeting you will recall we had Rob Mosley, transportation attorney, do a piece on insurance in conjunction with Tommy Ruke. During the presentation Rob advised of an interesting and very important legal matter. Rob noted that there is case law to support that the MCS-90, which you will find attached to those auto liability policies that make federal filings, will not respond to a vehicle with less than 10,000 GVW. It will be interesting to see how future case law responds but the precedent seems to have been set with Rob agreeing with the ruling. The lack of the MCS-90 not responding to units less than 10,000 GVW presents a real challenge for Motor Carriers and Brokers in our industry due to the amount of units that are under 10,000 GVW. See information provided by Rob Mosley below on the specific court case mentioned above:

Canal Indem. v. Williams Logging and Tree Services, 714 F. Supp. 2d 654 – CourtListener.com

What the above is saying is we can no longer assume that a motor carrier's insurance company will be held responsible to pay a claim on a unit that is not properly insured under the motor carriers authority they are running for. Or more simply put, even if the motor carrier has a federal filing there is no guarantee that the insurance company will be forced to pay a claim on a unit under 10,000 GVW. Brokers and Motor Carriers need to verify proper coverage is in place for all units and especially for those units under 10,000 GVW.

The Board members continue to look for ways to make TEANA and its members better. If anyone has a topic they would like to see more information on at the next meeting please let a board member know.

Thank you,

TEANA Board of Directors

Written by

John Elliott
Chief Executive Officer at Load One, LLC

Reactions: Mike99

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always had to tote my own cargo insurance; early on it was$10k, nowadays $100k & a million in liability. I think that's reasonable, but it's a challenge to pay Flo $550 a month when there's people trying to get you to run for chicken feed! I am a multi, two companies, and at least one of them belongs to TEANA. I think TEANA should encourage owner-operators for their member carriers to maybe do a little bumper sticker evangelism for proper insurance. I'd do it :)

Reactions: ShellyB007

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
TEANA has a number of carriers that use the multi structure. The organization works to educate its members. It can't discriminate or dictate how company's run their business. I see them as focusing on educating carriers and trying to push for carriers to adopt "best practices". Bumper stickers or whatever it takes, spreading the word and educating shippers on carrier selection and ensuring proper coverage is in everyone's best interest ultimately.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't most shippers rely on some sort of logistics aka broker company to handle their shipments?....
and as you've said yourself...insurance verification is next to impossible to do...

shippers expect X to show up the guy/gal on the dock have no inclination to check which carrier actually showed up and has proper insurance...they rely solely on said broker/logistic/3PL/4PL/5PL....to do there job...shippers pay YOU and your kind, to do your job to ensure thier shipment is safe and legal...

so you saying every shipper should be saying...."papers please?" and that just means he has papers..

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Many large shippers do rely on brokers or 3PLS. It isn't impossible by any means to monitor a traditional structured insured motor carrier as third party services are available and generally do a good job. Because the units are covered under federal filings it makes it much easier.

A unit for a multi that had their own insurance is not able to be monitored and is really invisible to the shipper or broker insurance wise. The only exception I have seen is where one agent writes the primary and writes all the contractors and takes on the burden of monitoring and has insurance in place.

No I don't see shippers ever asking for papers and without electronic monitoring papers are pretty worthless.

We had a multi the other day trying to get on with us. When we got the agent to provide the list of vin numbers the policy covers.....well one 2014 Toyota Prius. SMH.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And IF everyone was covered what exactly would that do for us out here? Would it put maybe another .05 in our pockets?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I run more than 100,000 miles a year that extra .05 would amount to more than $5000 a year. I would gladly take it.
Many factors are contributing to the declined rates
Over supply of vehicles
The double brokering of loads
How many times I've seen a load listed and not gotten it, only to see it resurface at an even lower rate...
And this issue

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking of a Toyota sitting here a guy in a Kia SUV bags up and delivered 20 boxes he does local work in the area

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
OVM to be honest it is hard to say what would happen if everyone was properly covered. Would it benefit the industry.... I think so without a doubt. It levels the playing field. Why anyone in this industry would not want to see the vehicles around them (that they compete with) carrying the same insurance and financial responsibility is beyond me. My gut tells me it would take a lot of players out of the market who are only in the market because running roque is profitable. That would in turn effect supply and demand. Which in turn effects everything. You are fully insured properly...a guy like you should be fighting instead of saying oh well. IMHO

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM to be honest it is hard to say what would happen if everyone was properly covered. Would it benefit the industry.... I think so without a doubt. It levels the playing field. Why anyone in this industry would not want to see the vehicles around them (that they compete with) carrying the same insurance and financial responsibility is beyond me. My gut tells me it would take a lot of players out of the market who are only in the market because running roque is profitable. That would in turn effect supply and demand. Which in turn effects everything. You are fully insured properly...a guy like you should be fighting instead of saying oh well. IMHO
I'm far from saying oh well... I'm saying the insurance issue is not the only issue of concern .
The fact that carriers before you were even on the scene Have completely raped and pillaged this businesswith no meat left on the bones

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We are fully insured with CIS, preferred insurers and it hasn't helped us any to get more loads or $. In truth I think the brokers DO NOT CARE all they are interested in is their bigger piece of the pie.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We are fully insured with CIS, preferred insurers and it hasn't helped us any to get more loads or $. In truth I think the brokers DO NOT CARE all they are interested in is their bigger piece of the pie.

I feel your struggle, but that is hard to measure. I know carrier/brokers such as ourselves will not knowingly use a carrier operating with the multi structure. I am pretty sure C&M, Barrett, Bolt, Try Hours and others do not use carriers with that structure as well. So even if 5 or 10 percent didn't use a carrier like that, it is still 5 or 10 percent more opportunity. But it is hard to see or know what you missed or never got the chance to see.

I agree some brokers, shippers, and 3PLs have turned a blind eye to this issue. As the issue grows and case law continues to build it gets harder and harder for them to do so. It also increases their risk for negligent hiring exposure as they can not say they really didn't know. Personally we continue to work with and work to educate many of these companies as to their exposure. Change is slow....but more and more are getting it.

On the other positive side....you are protecting your business and your family by doing it right. That is just good smart business. Someone who knowingly doesn't insure correctly, clearly is not a smart long term business owner. They rolling the dice and hoping it all works out. DON'T BE THAT GUY!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When brokers and carrier brokers have people whose only job is to sit there and bid on Loads they have no intentions of running and turn around and resell it as a source of income ....that is my money

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I feel your struggle, but that is hard to measure. I know carrier/brokers such as ourselves will not knowingly use a carrier operating with the multi structure. I am pretty sure C&M, Barrett, Bolt, Try Hours and others do not use carriers with that structure as well. So even if 5 or 10 percent didn't use a carrier like that, it is still 5 or 10 percent more opportunity. But it is hard to see or know what you missed or never got the chance to see.

I agree some brokers, shippers, and 3PLs have turned a blind eye to this issue. As the issue grows and case law continues to build it gets harder and harder for them to do so. It also increases their risk for negligent hiring exposure as they can not say they really didn't know. Personally we continue to work with and work to educate many of these companies as to their exposure. Change is slow....but more and more are getting it.

On the other positive side....you are protecting your business and your family by doing it right. That is just good smart business. Someone who knowingly doesn't insure correctly, clearly is not a smart long term business owner. They rolling the dice and hoping it all works out. DON'T BE THAT GUY!
By the way John... Sam and I are getting to be on first name basis LOL
Crossroads and I being properly insured..just keep those loads coming

guido4475

Not a Member
Many large shippers do rely on brokers or 3PLS. It isn't impossible by any means to monitor a traditional structured insured motor carrier as third party services are available and generally do a good job. Because the units are covered under federal filings it makes it much easier.

A unit for a multi that had their own insurance is not able to be monitored and is really invisible to the shipper or broker insurance wise. The only exception I have seen is where one agent writes the primary and writes all the contractors and takes on the burden of monitoring and has insurance in place.

No I don't see shippers ever asking for papers and without electronic monitoring papers are pretty worthless.

We had a multi the other day trying to get on with us. When we got the agent to provide the list of vin numbers the policy covers.....well one 2014 Toyota Prius. SMH.

I'm surprised you would even waste the time of researching a multi's credentials in consideration of possibly hiring him.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm surprised you would even waste the time of researching a multi's credentials in consideration of possibly hiring him.
Just because of a few bad apples..I believe they found a couple supposedly well known carriers lacking proper ins.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We research everyone. I assure you they always say they are not a multi as they know we won't even look at them if they say they are.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I get my insurance for my sprinter van thru ceva it is easier do it that way, plus they have a great insurance co they work with
always wonder about some of uber company drivers for delivery how do they insurance there unit