Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent on GMC Vans

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent On Cargo Vans

There's been a lot of conversation, and a bit of consternation, both here and on other forums about DIY installation of a roof vent in wide-ribbed roofs like on the GMC/Chevrolet and Ford cargo vans.

I've seen people go to great lengths to raise platforms or add metal panels or fiberglass etc to provide an even flat surface on which to install a roof vent so they don't have to deal with the high and low spots of a ribbed roof. None of that is really necessary if you follow the vent manufacturer's simple instructions and use some simple, common, sense.

I installed a Fan-Tastic 6000RBTA recently in my GMC van and documented the process. All images below are clickable to view the larger size.

Special thanks to Moot for reminding me of the Adohen Supply Co. website, from which you can order a variety of Fan-Tastic roof vents in various configurations (flat or dome lid in various colors, high and low profile bases, vent lock, etc). You can also add your roof thickness measurements to help ensure a better fit and less hassle in installation of the interior garnish.

As of this writing (May 2013) Adohen no longer stocks the fans in-house but sends your order directly to Fan-Tastic (who evidently does not sell directly to the public) along with any special dimensions, requirements, and add-ons. Scott, at Adohen, is a good guy to deal with, with fast response to any email inquiries.

If ordering from most suppliers other than Adohen, you pretty much get what they have in stock and have far less choice as to flat or dome, color of lid, depth of interior garnish, or lid lock, etc. You can find out more about all this on Adohen's Pictures and Dimensions page. Scroll down for the additional info.

0a-fromthebox02.jpg
I chose the flat lid instead of the more typical dome, as well as the low-profile base and lid-lock, because I like the lower overall profile and will be able to still take my van through my favorite car wash, as well as get into more parking garages than I might otherwise. I'd advise, though, to know your exact overall height before entering a parking garage.

You can see the interior garnish still in the box in the image above. Having carefully measured my roof thickness--from interior ceiling through insulation to van roof--I was able to order the garnish pre-cut to desired depth at no extra charge. Some have said cutting the garnish to the right height yourself is as much trouble as installing the whole vent.

0b-fan-n-garnish01.jpg
Vent with interior garnish

0c-fan0n-garnish02.jpg
Vent with garnish in place

Now to figure out where in the roof to install the vent. In cargo vans there are interior cross-ribs that support the roof. There is one more cross-rib and potential roof space for your new fan in the extended bodies than in regular vans, I believe.

The cross-ribs are easy to avoid. When installing my ceiling insulation and headliner, I marked the width of all supporting cross-ribs at the top of each side wall on the reinforcing band that encircles the van. I also took pictures of the roof and walls before insulation and lining so I have a clear record of all structural and support pieces. These marks and images come in handy for future van modifications.

I chose the space between the rear most cross-rib and the back doors, as in my interior configuration, and with no rear door windows, having the vent as far to the rear as possible will create the most cross-air flow through the van when the driver and passenger door windows are opened even slightly. If you have rear door windows that open, you may want to consider a more central placement for your fan, to bring air in from either or both directions.

As Fan-Tastic indicates on the included Installation Directions & Operating Instructions, slightly opening a window on the shady side of the van with the roof vent set on exhaust can create a comfortable ambient temp, even on hot days. It pays to put the vent in the right place.

0d-mark01.jpg
Once you know where in the roof to put it, there are lots of ways to determine exact placement and where to cut the hole. The way I did it was to use the interior garnish upside down against the ceiling, so I could better gauge spacing, how far the flange would go, and the overall way it would look upon finishing. If I'm going to spend a great deal of time inside the van, I like things to look and feel balanced.

I had also placed the vent assembly with flange on top of the roof to see what kind of space it would take up, and was pleased to see there was only one "valley" I would have to bridge.

I marked the center of the van width on the ceiling inside and marked the center of the garnish, then held the garnish flange side up against the ceiling so it was even to each side and square to the rear. Then I marked the inside corners of the garnish, knowing I would have to add to the dimensions to make the hole large enough for the vent to slide in from the top. The industry standard for RV type roof vent openings is 14". The Fan-Tastic is no different, as it is made both for new installs and to upgrade older model vents.

0e-mark02.jpg
Garnish lines with added dimension to equal 14" for hole size.

0f-drill.jpg
Drilling at the corners. Use a large enough bit to create a hole large enough to accept your jig-saw blade.

0g-readytocut01.jpg
Ready to cut. In retrospect, I could have just drilled two holes, at opposing corners, and been able to cut the hole just fine.

The above image can be a bit of an illusion, depending on how your mind sees it. The shadows can be deceiving with no reference point. The drilled holes are actually in the high parts of the roof, with only one valley between. As you can see, my interior measuring paid off, as the holes I drilled are evenly spaced from the edge of each roof rib.

0h-newhole01.jpg
I have a hole in my roof. Again, your eyes may say otherwise, but the valley is dead center, with a raised section to each side.

0i-dryfitgarnish-abv01.jpg
Dry fit the garnish from below. Looks good.

0j-newskylight.jpg
View from inside, with garnish in place, just dry fit, not screwed in. I like the new skylight and abundance of fresh air, but will reluctantly install the fan.

0k-dryfit-fanassy.jpg
Dry fit the fan assembly without the interior garnish to check fit and clearances. The garnish piece slides up into the space between the control plate and the outer edge. Its flange will easily hide the rough cut edge of my ceiling liner. The wires will be placed up between my ceiling liner and insulation over to the side I want for future hook-up.

0l1-wire01.jpg 0l2-wire02.jpg 0l3-wire03.jpg
The interior garnish piece needs to be notched for the wiring, so it fits well when put in place from below. Easily done with a fine toothed jig saw blade or coping saw.

0l4-dryfitgarnish.jpg
Dry fit garnish from below. I'm happy with the fit and look.

Time to dry fit the fan from above to check where I will need to fill with putty before screwing it down. I put the fan in and pre-drilled for the corner screws and only marked for the side screws with a slight push of the drill bit. The corner screw holes are not exactly in line with the side screw holes, they are a tad further out. Simply marking the side screw holes now, then pre-drilling them once the fan is removed ensures you don't mark up the vent cover with your drill chuck.

Note: the fan comes with standard zinc #8 flat-head screws. I put those aside and purchased stainless steel screws of the same size to prevent possible future rust stains. Some prefer to use self-drilling screws. I opted for regular and to pre-drill smaller guide holes.

0m-dryfit-screwed-rear.jpg 0n-dryfit-screwed.jpg 0o-dryfit-screwed-hinge.jpg
Fan is now screwed down only at the corners, without any putty or sealant, so I can see how well it fits to the roof surface and where I will have to fill. Back end view, side view, and hinge view.

Note: Scott at Adohen says in some pop up campers these fans are installed with the hinge to the rear, for some reason. For cargo van installation, you want the hinge to face into the wind, that is, towards the front of the van, unless you have some other specific reason to do otherwise. Otherwise you're likely to rip the lid right off if driving when the vent is open.

As you can see, it fits rather snugly against the roof, with a minimum of space in the valley, fore and aft, to fill. That space is only about 3/16", certainly not insurmountable. Along the sides, there is next to no gap to fill as the high flat parts of the roof taper into the valleys.

I marked the outside corners and mid points along each side of the flange to guide the placement of the putty, which I want right along the outside edge of the vent flange. Then I pre-drilled the rest of the holes.

To be continued in Part Two: Installing the Putty... (next post, as it appears EO limits the number of images per post)

Attachments

• 0p-puttypkg.jpg
    0p-puttypkg.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 0q-puttybridge01.jpg
    0q-puttybridge01.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 0r-freshputty01.jpg
    0r-freshputty01.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 0s-installedonputty.jpg
    0s-installedonputty.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 0t-puttytrimmed.jpg
    0t-puttytrimmed.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 0u-centerputtytrimmed.jpg
    0u-centerputtytrimmed.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 0v-caulkfinished.jpg
    0v-caulkfinished.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
(cont) Part Two: Installing the Putty and Cleaning Up...

0p-puttypkg.jpg
Here's what I chose to bridge the gap and to put under the entire edge of the fan. Use putty tape for metal surfaces, and the butyl tape for fiberglass roofs. The package I bought from Amazon had 8', I think; more than enough. You can also purchase it at most good RV Supply stores. I threw aside the screws that came with the putty, too.

0q-puttybridge01.jpg
First fit of putty to bridge the valley. Takes a double thickness. You can see the marks from where I placed a straightedge to see where I needed additional fill to ensure a leak-proof fit. Do this for both rear and front valleys, of course.

0r-freshputty01.jpg
Fresh putty all the way around. It is good sticky stuff, with a paper liner that is easily removed. Overall it is very easy to use. It's about an inch wide, and having already marked the outside edges of the fan flange, I knew right where to put it.

0s-installedonputty.jpg
Fan assembly screwed down all the way around. You only need to tighten the screws until the putty starts squeezing out. Over-tightening will both stress the plastic flange and run the risk of stripping your screw holes. Press the putty in all the way around to ensure a good seal. The sun was going down and dusk was upon me.

0t-puttytrimmed.jpg 0u-centerputtytrimmed.jpg
Clean things up by trimming excess putty with a utility knife. You can see from the 2nd image above it makes a nice, clean, seal in the valley.

Once the putty is trimmed, use a good caulk like Dicor, or similar, all the way around to cover the putty, seal the edges, and cover all screw heads for a nice, clean, watertight finish.

Fan-Tastic recommends silicone for metal roofs, but I prefer a good RV lap sealant, as silicone caulk often yellows and will sometimes harden, depending on choice. The Dicor forms a good skin but stays more flexible. It's sticky stuff too, and can be very messy, but makes a really nice job if you're careful. Here's several Dicor Lap Sealants at Amazon. There are other good RV type sealants, too. Just check your local RV Supply house or Camping World.

0v-caulkfinished.jpg
Finished vent install. I'm happy with it, and more than confident that I have a good, watertight, leak-proof seal.

Wire it to a positive lead with 10amp fuse.

Doesn't really take that long to do, actually. Writing this post and trying to be clear with it, and the images, took longer than the install, to be honest. Probably three-four hours to install, without the picture-taking, if you're handy.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I installed a vent on a Ford like that. I never was able to get a good, leakproof seal, and since at the time I delivered paper products that was a bit of a problem. I always carried plastic drop-cloth material for the purpose of protecting the freight in case of rain.

These days, the high-mount brake light can create a leak, and so help me I doubt if the people responsible for placing it there even give weatherstripping a thought.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Great post, thanks!

Thanks a ton!!

I installed a vent on a Ford like that. I never was able to get a good, leakproof seal...

These days, the high-mount brake light can create a leak, and so help me I doubt if the people responsible for placing it there even give weatherstripping a thought.

You're welcome, you're welcome. It's fun making posts like this.

mjm, no reason to not get a good seal around anything one installs in a van roof if you have the right materials at hand. Sealing between the flange and metal with the appropriate putty, then sealing the edges with the appropriate caulk (not regular silicone caulk as most do) will ensure a long-lived leak-free seal.

As for the high rear brake light, it's off-topic for this Sticky, but I never had mine leak in either of the GM vans I've had. I've had bulbs burn out, though, because of water getting in around the red plastic lens. I can tell it's water that made the bulb blow from the white haze and one tiny hole. No leaking into the van interior though. Was never a problem in my older van, which just had a much better seal.

What I do now to prevent water getting into the bulb area--which usually happens after going through a high-powered car wash or a really bad thunderstorm where moisture is practically forced in--is use the dielectric grease you can get at auto parts stores in tiny packets at the check-out, or in small tubes like at Amazon. Though made for protecting electrical connections from dirt and corrosion, it makes a nice non-permanent lens sealer. I reapply it every 6-10 months or so, depending. Or when one of the two bulbs up there finally burns out again.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
This has nothing to do with a Fan vent. I saw a promo? for the new GMC pick up with a Duramax Diesel saying that it will start within three seconds @ 40 below zero. Quite a claim.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Re: Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent On Cargo Vans

Thank you again for this instructional post. I should be able to tackle this very soon. I found a 5000RBT Smoked Insulated online that ships from close to my house for $155.99. I can even pick it up. Now I just need to locate the putty tape and sealer you mentioned somewhere between AL and OH. Unless my next stop is Laredo. But I plan on watching every detail of your installation the next time I get stationary and awake long enough. Thank you!!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Thank you again for this instructional post. I should be able to tackle this very soon. I found a 5000RBT Smoked Insulated online that ships from close to my house for $155.99. I can even pick it up. Now I just need to locate the putty tape and sealer you mentioned somewhere between AL and OH. Unless my next stop is Laredo. But I plan on watching every detail of your installation the next time I get stationary and awake long enough. Thank you!!

Murray - you're in Dayton, right? Check Couch RV in Liberty TWP OH on Rt 4, five-six miles I think from I-75 off the exit for 63 at Monroe. That's between Cinti and Dayton. They have the lap sealant and may have the putty tape. Just order the putty tape from Amazon (should be a link in my post) for home delivery if you can't source it locally. Then it will be sitting home waiting for you.

Home base for me is SW OH too. If we're both around when you get ready to install, I'll be happy to help out.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
This has nothing to do with a Fan vent. I saw a promo? for the new GMC pick up with a Duramax Diesel saying that it will start within three seconds @ 40 below zero. Quite a claim.

Yeah, pretty off topic, though I can vouch for the Duramax diesels vastly improving cold weather starting ability.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Excellent, 21c!! I've bought gas at exit 63 a ton of times over the years. And I've seen Couch RV. I think there's even an IRP office at that exit where I used to buy SSRs. Thanks!!
And my wife just surprised me and bought the 5000RBT for me at the distributor in Centerville. I may be able to knock this out soon!!!
Thanks again!!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Just to be clear for others looking for Couch's Camper & RV, it's about 5.5 mi from I-75 off Exit 29, which is Ohio SR-63:

Here's their contact page: http://couchscampers.com/contact.php. They're at the old LeSourdsville Lake amusement park.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Opinion please.....
Will this fan be able to draw enough "make up air" through the vans vents? Or will I need to open the windows a bit? I certainly don't want to strain the motor.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

On the higher speeds it moves stoopid amount of air. You don't have to, but you'll generally want to crack a window a bit. An inch or two gives you some good airflow. 6-12 inches gives you quite a little breeze in there.

Reactions: 21cExp

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'll have to do this fairly soon, but the thread might sink out of sight. Can this thread be stickied, please? :)

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

I'll have to do this fairly soon, but the thread might sink out of sight. Can this thread be stickied, please? :)

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

Already is, unless its been recently un-stickied. Not always easy to see what's stickied or not, I know, on some devices.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Yeah, I do NOT want this thread to disappear. At least all the instructional stuff.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Opinion please.....
Will this fan be able to draw enough "make up air" through the vans vents? Or will I need to open the windows a bit? I certainly don't want to strain the motor.

On the higher speeds it moves stoopid amount of air. You don't have to, but you'll generally want to crack a window a bit. An inch or two gives you some good airflow. 6-12 inches gives you quite a little breeze in there.

Yep, creating a good through-flow of air with either or both front windows open to whatever degree makes a big difference. Even with the vent off, but open, with a front window open can make the inside a lot more comfortable.

Fan-Tastic, in their Operating/Installation instructions, mentions that operating the fan with the front window open on the shady side only of the vehicle often produces the best results. Always helps, too, to park judiciously, with an eye to how the sun will be moving throughout the day, or where it will be rising if parking in the dark, and pointing your vehicle the best way for however you have things set up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Also, I should add, sometimes having the fan on intake keeps things cooler than having it on exhaust.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Good hints!! Almost makes me look forward to Laredo, McAllen & Dallas!!!