Ice less coolers

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Shock is bad. Maybe Turtle has a cushioning idea. But you WILL be surprised how much space that seat takes up and how well you can stack & pack there. Plus there are for mounting bolts you could use for maybe some kind of securing.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I did mean the coolers. OVM suggested a refrigerator. I don't think it's portable enough to work around in my c/v. I like your idea of taking it inside so it always stays cold. No waiting for it to cool down that way. I think the box also says that you need to put cool items inside, it won't cool down from a warm temp.

Yep, I often use a technique I used to use with regular coolers, that of freezing a bunch of small spring water bottles and using them to both pre-chill my 12v cooler and fill up empty space. As indicated in other threads, keeping it full keeps it cooler. Thermal mass. It will cool down from a warmer temp, though. I do it all the time. The pic with the lint/dirt shows the heat sink (I'm assuming that's what it's called) that the fan pulls air through from the cooler, which lets it escape. If putting anything on top of these guys you have to leave room for that air to circulate freely. Some drivers keep these units on their back as a chest cooler.

The one pic I att'd earlier shows where I keep mine, passenger seat gone. Here's the back view, from outside with the passenger door open; just one way to do it. Small easy to build shelf in front of the fridge holds my printer and organizer for everyday stuff on top, with room underneath for whatever, all below the bottom of window opening:

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1370546929.045597.jpg

Lousy image, pretty dark, but hopefully you get the idea.

It is where I'll put my 12v/120 AC Truck Fridge too, which are built for the rigors of truck life. I had a dorm fridge in one of my old vans, but rarely powered it unless I had park power, so can't really speak as to how well they hold up. A lot of guys use them though, and as OVM said, they're pretty cheap at the big box stores.

Having your fridge/cooler there is handy as hell. When van camping I just turn it 90 degrees and have easy access to it from the side doors while standing outside.

Hope you figure something that works well for you!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I like this one because when home, instead of running a cord to the van, I just pick it up and put it in the garage and plug it into a wall outlet. The guy that gave it to me used it constantly, and I've had it going pretty much constantly too, at home, campgrounds with power, and on constantly while running. Only off if parked for extended times with no park power.
WQhen I carried mine, before expediting, I was in a motel room every night. I'd have it plugged into the 12-volt outlet in the car and then I'd take into the room and use the 120-volt adapter for it. So it ran pretty much 24/7.

The Coleman draws 4 amps at 12 volts, so it'll definitely kill a cranking battery in a hurry, and needs a 200 Ah house bank just to handle the cooler alone for 24 hours of constant draw.

Once upon a time they made that cooler with an optional thermostat, and it worked great. It cut the power draw in half over the course of a 24 hour period in most cases. But, alas, they don't make it anymore.

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
Has anyone tried those ice less coolers that they sell at truck stops? They cost between $40 - $99 and only claim to keep the temperature about 20-35 degrees cooler then the ambient temperature around them. Do they work or are they kind of useless? With the truck sitting in 100 degree temps for hours, only 30 degrees cooler might still allow your food to spoil.

You may want to go by Georgetown,KY and see the Fridge man Has some nice small chest refriges. These are the real thing I bought one last year set it on 34deg plug in to the dc while working when home do the ac at home. Also it will not drain your battery has a cutout circuit. Hope this helps.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The Coleman draws 4 amps at 12 volts, so it'll definitely kill a cranking battery in a hurry, and needs a 200 Ah house bank just to handle the cooler alone for 24 hours of constant draw.

Once upon a time they made that cooler with an optional thermostat, and it worked great.

Yeah buddy, I killed my starting battery one night by forgetting to unplug the 12v. My stuff was nice and cold in the morning, but I had to get a jump to get moving. I keep it plugged into the lighter socket not the other 12v outlet, as its closer to the steering wheel and I always remember now when turning off the engine to pull it, too, if I'm going to be away from the van for a bit.

I've often wondered about rigging a thermostat, or if it's possible with current models. That'd be great.

Like I said, all in all, for the money and if used wisely, I consider it well worthwhile , even in summer heat.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Until a few month ago I used a 12 volt Igloo cooler and a 12 volt Kooltron cooler. The Igloo is larger and I kept that up front next to the driver's seat. The Kooltron stayed in back. When at home I did the bottled water freezer thing. I would put 4 frozen bottles in the Igloo along with any food, water and canned pop. I would fill the Kooltron with frozen water bottles only and had a 1" piece of foam insulation cut to fit inside, under the cover.

I only ran the coolers while driving, and then usually only the Igloo. The frozen water bottles in the Kooltron lasted several days as long as I didn't open it up. Once the bottles melted I would drink them. When all my ice was gone, I would buy cubes from a C-store and double bag them in gallon Ziploc bags.

A couple months ago I bought the small Engel refrigerator/freezer. I wanted the small one because it fit next to my seat. What I didn't realize with the small unit is that it requires 4 inches of open space all around for ventilation. I ended up putting it under my bunk and use it as a freezer for freezing water bottles. It will freeze 6/16oz. bottles in about 5 hours. I have it switched so I control it from the cab. I still have the Igloo next to my seat up front in easy reach. This setup has been working well for me. On hot days I sell my extra frozen water bottles to drivers of ex Penske trucks.

Photo on left is the Igloo next to driver's seat. Photo on right is Engel under the hinged bunk.

Attachments

• Igloo (478x640).jpg
    Igloo (478x640).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Engel (478x640).jpg
    Engel (478x640).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 15