I really need a geek

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've been struggling with my computer for weeks - it will not allow me to choose from a drop down menu, [either scrolls through the choices at hyper speed, or returns to whatever it was on to begin with], or move the contents of the window horizontally [will move, but only as long as the cursor is held down], or adjust the volume [keeps dropping to 0].
I've uninstalled Java and Firefox, downloaded the latest versions of both, applied every update I can find, [including plugins], tried IE as well, with no luck.
Today I tried the Geek Squad. The choices are leaving the laptop for 'a few days' while they run a diagnostic [which can take 16 hrs] to determine where the problem is, or I can buy a Tech Support package that's good for a year on up to 3 computers, which would "most likely be a faster fix". I can't do the first, and really don't need the second [the price is steep!], so does anyone have any other suggestions?
It's really getting to be a problem, [can't get reimbursed for tolls, cause I can't print the page, dammit - it won't let me select the correct printer] and I'm out of ideas. :(

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do the first the next time you are home and can take the time for it?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If I haven't got it done before then, next time I'm home I'll try a small shop I know - I wasn't real thrilled that Best Buy offers 'Tech Support' only if you buy it for a year.
Considering the importance of computers, it's awfully hard to get one fixed when they act bizarro! :mad:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I've found a few of my computers to be disposable after they started messing up, what I mean is it would have cost more to fix it then to buy a new one.
Knock on wood, this Toshiba Laptop has been a good one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is there by any chance a Logitec Wireless Mouse involved here?

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Could be the computer has a key on the key board that is partially sticking. Best solution, most Wal-Marts have a new laptop waiting for you for about 300.00….. You should get a backup, don’t you think? Less stress, more profits.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
HOLY CANNOLI!!! Switched to my targus corded mouse, problem solved!

Turtle, I owe you - at least a good steak dinner, ok? I still want to know why it makes such a difference, though....who'da thought?!:eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Could be the computer has a key on the key board that is partially sticking. Best solution, most Wal-Marts have a new laptop waiting for you for about 300.00….. You should get a backup, don’t you think? Less stress, more profits.

You mean a backup laptop? It's a good idea, though it uses money, space, and time [setup, the learning curve] that I haven't got an overabundance of.
Maybe a netbook would work for that purpose.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
HOLY CANNOLI!!! Switched to my targus corded mouse, problem solved!
Hey, you asked for a geek, you got a geek. :D There's so much crap rattling around in my head I don't even know where some of this stuff comes from.

Turtle, I owe you - at least a good steak dinner, ok? I still want to know why it makes such a difference, though....who'da thought?!:eek:
The wireless radio signal, like any of them, is subject to interference, but mainly it's just the signal and how the receiver and the computer are interpreting them, in combination with internal communications stuff on the computer. It can happen with all wireless mice and keyboards, it's just that Logitec is particularly susceptible to it. What's weird is that it'll be working fine for weeks or months, then all of a sudden go haywire. If you play with it long enough, sometimes days or weeks, it'll suddenly start working fine again.

I could explain all the variables and combinations that can cause it and what you can do to fix it, like forcing a different IRQ or IO Req address for various combinations, but your eyes would glaze over before I got a tenth of the way into it. Suffice it to say, that you can try the receiver in a different USB port, or often, just changing the battery in the mouse will solve the problem. Or, use a wired mouse or a MS wireless mouse. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice to have an in-house geek around...now if we could find a doctor turned driver...we'd all get that Free HC we have been hearing about....LOL:p

Brisco

Expert Expediter
.......it's just that Logitec is particularly susceptible to it. What's weird is that it'll be working fine for weeks or months, then all of a sudden go haywire. If you play with it long enough, sometimes days or weeks, it'll suddenly start working fine again.

Yep....if you're going to go with a Wireless Mouse, stay the hell away from Logitech. Fought mine for a good year or so after purchasing it. It would work great for a while, then make my life hell for a while, then work great, hell, and so on.

Finally, after one battle with it, I had to touch up some paint on the wall here in my home office, and get the dust pan out to collect the 27 pieces it exploded in to when I finally "Had It" with it!!

Went and got me a $40 "Gigaware" wireless mouse (Logitech was $15) and have not had any problems since.

just a thought but how many hours on the battery in the mouse?

I can go about 3 months on a 16 pack of Duracell "AAA" batteries. And, I am probably on the computer a heck of a LOT longer than most here. So, a $9.99 pack of 16 "AAA" batts might last you guys for quite a while.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm on the computer quite a bit. My MS Mini Mouse uses a single AA battery. The mouse is always "live" because I never insert the receiver into the mouse to save the battery. I get about a month out of a battery, but I use rechargeables. AA batteries for the mouse, camera, and an 8-battery bunk light, and rechargeable AAA batteries for the satellite dish remote and satellite tuner remote. I bought and extra set of four AAs a few months ago, and before that it was 4 or 5 years. Good rechargeables and a quality charger can pay for themselves very quickly if you burn through batteries very often.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had no problems with my Microsoft wireless mouse, but it is one of the more expensive ones. It's also color coordinated to my Gateway laptop.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If this had happened a couple months ago, I'd have twigged to the cause pretty fast, because the Logitech mouse fell into the dog's water dish [don't ask]. I used the corded one for a few days while it dried, then switched back, liking the cordless better.
So it survived dunking, but not being run over by a truck, which happened yesterday.:D
Then the &#%@# printer wouldn't print, or reinstall, either. [Says I'm not the admin, and can't run the program - WTH? Am too! I checked, lol.]
So I bought another one [$38 @ Wallyworld!], installed it, and am happily printing away to my heart's content again.
Till next time.....