I need advice on becoming a O/O Straight Truck Expediter

Islam Elfarra

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Howdy,
I'm looking to become a O/O straight truck and i'm currently 22 years old and have been in the trucking industry several years now. I've towed several mobile homes ranging from 30-70 foot long, i've driven straight truck for a moving company for 2 years (Mercedes M2). I need a steady income job, that pays decent. I am seriously thinking straight truck O/O expediting. What is the average pay for this job per mile and month? What expenses do i have to look at other than truck maintenance? Does the company i work for, say FedEx, pay the insurance or? What truck, year and engine (Mercedes, cummins cat, etc) is the best for this job (Hino, Mercedes, Freightliner, etc)? I don't mind OTR or Regional as i'm single.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll let the straight truck people respond with better information than I can as a moron van driver, but it may depend on whether or not you plan on doing cross-border expediting, since you are from London, Ontario, which may be an important context.

Islam Elfarra

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you and yes i plan on doing cross-border as well (i'm an American and Canadian citizen). Why do you call yourself a moron thats not nice

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a long running joke, since you have to be a moron to drive a van in expediting. Lol

With dual citizenship, you can do point to point runs in both countries, so that'll be a big benefit.

Reactions: Islam Elfarra

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ok thank you, why don't you do straight truck O/O? just curious
Because I'm a moron. Did you not pick up on that?

Having to log. I want to be able to sleep where and when I want/need to, rather than be pounded into a mold created for the general trucking industry by a group of pencil pushers with their own job-justifying agendas, most of whom have never been in a truck.

ChaplainSteve

Rookie Expediter
Researching
This thread reinforces my decision to enter this field in a Van!! Given that I often describe my self as a stocky dimwitted balding man, aka idiot by some close friends...
Yes will definitely be driving a van.
Love Costanza off of seinfield

Reactions: scottm4211 and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This thread reinforces my decision to enter this field in a Van!! Yes will definitely be driving a van.
Would you care to join the BAN THE VAN movement? It costs nothing to join. All that is required is for you to own a cargo van and occasionally post BAN THE VAN or shout out BAN THE VAN in a movie theater or crowed elevator.

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
#WhiteVansMatter
white-van-free-candy-crop.jpg