I have three trucks and no clue help me please

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I have a 2002 frieghtliner fl80 24ft box truck with sleeper exellance condition only 190k. I have a 2015 ford transit hightop short model can fit 2 pallets and 3800 pounds and last a isuzu npr 14 ft box 14ft . I have been working with local Courier companies but not making as much money as I know I should until I found this site was kinda feeling hopeless. As far as the freightliner goes anybody know any good companies to get frieght from. How much is a realistic number I should expect to get for the vehicles I drive the big truck my wife drives the Ford transit and as of now I don't really use the box truck cause I can't find enough frieght to pay someone a decent wage any and all advice accepted.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1472126540325.jpg
    FB_IMG_1472126540325.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 55

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expediting is over the road. Go where the freight takes you. Your best bet for money is you and your wife to team in the straight truck and plan to be gone from home for 2-3 months at a time.

I recommend first reading as much on here as you can, and ask questions. That way you will better understand what expediting really is. Seek out expediters in both vans and straights at truck stops, although both expediters and truck stops are few and far between in CT. Then it's call the recruiters at some of the larger expedite carriers and ș what they have to say.

The straight requires a Class B CDL, the Isuzu will require a medical card and a logbook if you want to cross state lines, and the 2 pallet Transit is less than ideal because of nowhere to sleep while loaded.

If you want to stay more local-ish then you might look into the carriers that deal with air cargo.

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Thank you I will look into all you wrote. That transit is seeming like dead weight for me to trade it in I would have to loose like 9000 they gave me 17000 in trade in value when I bought it for 26k not to long ago. Would going up to the larger transit or even the mister sprinter be better

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you I will look into all you wrote. That transit is seeming like dead weight for me to trade it in I would have to loose like 9000 they gave me 17000 in trade in value when I bought it for 26k not to long ago. Would going up to the larger transit or even the mister sprinter be better

Bigger is always better.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
If I trade the small transit in for the big one at my ford dealer they will give me 17k towards a trade in loss of 9k I bought it used with 12ooo miles on it it now has 17ooo miles in your opinion if I take the loss will I be able to recoup it going with the bigger one over time of course. Or can money be made with the one I got and just get the bigger one after getting my feet wet with the one I got and perhaps throw a driver on it and get a big one rolling as well.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I trade the small transit in for the big one at my ford dealer they will give me 17k towards a trade in loss of 9k I bought it used with 12ooo miles on it it now has 17ooo miles in your opinion if I take the loss will I be able to recoup it going with the bigger one over time of course. Or can money be made with the one I got and just get the bigger one after getting my feet wet with the one I got and perhaps throw a driver on it and get a big one rolling as well.

You can work the small one like turtle said in the air freight end, if you were to trade up it would take time to recoup your loss, how much time is hard to say so much plays into it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I am about to look for every air frieght company out of nyc nj ct not much action in ct but I'm close to it..... fastman_1 any recommendations on companies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't ask this to make you wrong, but to learn more about you so advice about the future can be better provided. How did you get yourself into a three-truck/two-driver business? What was your original reason for buying any trucks at all? You talked about the money you "should" be making. What do you mean by that exactly?

Reactions: Marshall2142

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I was a deisel mechanic for many years basically seeing the money to be made in this business, and the money they were loosing by not being able to repair there own vehicles. I decided to stop breaking my hands everyday and no matter how hard I work get paid the same thing everyweek. My pay didn't match my ambition. So I took a spot on a friend's tractor drove with him for a year saved all my money and wanted to strike out for myself. I had friends that I would keep telling me about courier companies in nyc the driving for making 2000 a week or more "lol". So like every other idiot I went and bought myself a ford transit van and said show me the money...... Wasn't finding it...... I would make anywhere from 500-1000 with these courier companies in nyc and risk 100 collisions a day. So I tried to change my approach and do the home delivery and assembly thing horrible you will make the money about 2000 for the transit I then bought the box truck put a couple guys on that was making about 200 after paying guys that didn't want to work 16 hour days for 600 bucks and neither did I it was to much chaos on top of that coming home miserable me and my wife. So we started looking for local companies in ct found a solid one and they said the could use my transit but didn't have use for my 14ft truck smh so most companies I was calling wanted 24-26 boxes I took my last bit of money got myself this awesome box truck with a sleeper on it in outstanding condition from a old man and said show me the money again...... lol.... transit pulling in about 800 a week on average box truck 1000 this is all before taxes and expenses are taken out...... and my 14 footer just sitting around..... spent alot of money on good vehicles just need to learn the best ways to use them turtle and fastman said air frieght for the little guy getting on the phone and I am going to be calling all airfreight companies in the area. Expidite truck and 14ft truck next up I would expect minumums of after taxes n expenses profits of
1. Ford transit. $1000 my wife drives this
2. Frieghtliner expedite $1700 I drive this
3. Isuzu 14ft $600 outsider drives this
Is this unrealistic

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I don't ask this to make you wrong, but to learn more about you so advice about the future can be better provided. How did you get yourself into a three-truck/two-driver business? What was your original reason for buying any trucks at all? You talked about the money you "should" be making. What do you mean by that exactly?
I gave my auto biography if that will help a little into giving me the best insight I will gladly listen and apply all knowledge

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure where in CT you are, but it won't really matter. The northeast just isn't a hotbed of expedited freight, since expedited freight is primarily manufacturing. There is some, to be sure, however. But most of it goes to the Midwest. I have had times when I've bounced back and forth between Jersey and Maryland up to CT and MASS.

That's what the Transit would be for, the local-ish up and down the eastern corridor, not long hauls with no place to sleep while loaded. I'd look for expediting companies that do such loads, and for air freight out of, first, mostly the CT airports, then Newark. Most of the loads I've picked up in New England have been in the triangle of Nashua, Worcester and Boston, although I have picked up several loads in the area between Stamford and Milford in CT.

The Isuzu is best suited to city delivery and more local runs, as well, so the same thing applies to that as the Transit.

The straight truck needs to be signed on with Panther, Load One, PTL, C&M, Road Runner, any of the larger well known carriers, and out on the road seeing the Midwest, Kansas City, Texas, the Grand Canyon, wherever the freight goes. I sure wouldn't want to deliver to places on Avenue of the Americas for a living in a straight truck. Or a Prius, for that matter.

As for selling the Transit and taking that kind of a hit, I wouldn't recommend it. There are already too many cargo vans out here in expediting in relation to the loads available, so upsizing the Transit really won't benefit you all that much. You can do the Transit over the road, as well, a lot of people do that in 2-sked Transits, but you just have to be careful in taking the loads longer than 600 or 700 miles with no place to take a nap while loaded. Sleep management and knowing your limitations will be critical if you wander too far from the east coast. But keeping loaded mileage down to where you can pickup and deliver and then go to sleep in there is the best way to deal with that.

If you can find a reliable driver for the Transit, $1000 to $1500 is doable, knowing that you'll need to split the revenue 60/40 with the driver, with whoever pays for fuel and tolls getting the 60%. The Freightliner can easily double that $1700 a week gross revenue with a husband and wife team in there, but $1700 is probably all you'll get as a solo. The Isuzu can easily do at least what the Transit can do, just in PITA air cargo.

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I'm not sure where in CT you are, but it won't really matter. The northeast just isn't a hotbed of expedited freight, since expedited freight is primarily manufacturing. There is some, to be sure, however. But most of it goes to the Midwest. I have had times when I've bounced back and forth between Jersey and Maryland up to CT and MASS.

That's what the Transit would be for, the local-ish up and down the eastern corridor, not long hauls with no place to sleep while loaded. I'd look for expediting companies that do such loads, and for air freight out of, first, mostly the CT airports, then Newark. Most of the loads I've picked up in New England have been in the triangle of Nashua, Worcester and Boston, although I have picked up several loads in the area between Stamford and Milford in CT.

The Isuzu is best suited to city delivery and more local runs, as well, so the same thing applies to that as the Transit.

The straight truck needs to be signed on with Panther, Load One, PTL, C&M, Road Runner, any of the larger well known carriers, and out on the road seeing the Midwest, Kansas City, Texas, the Grand Canyon, wherever the freight goes. I sure wouldn't want to deliver to places on Avenue of the Americas for a living in a straight truck. Or a Prius, for that matter.

As for selling the Transit and taking that kind of a hit, I wouldn't recommend it. There are already too many cargo vans out here in expediting in relation to the loads available, so upsizing the Transit really won't benefit you all that much. You can do the Transit over the road, as well, a lot of people do that in 2-sked Transits, but you just have to be careful in taking the loads longer than 600 or 700 miles with no place to take a nap while loaded. Sleep management and knowing your limitations will be critical if you wander too far from the east coast. But keeping loaded mileage down to where you can pickup and deliver and then go to sleep in there is the best way to deal with that.

If you can find a reliable driver for the Transit, $1000 to $1500 is doable, knowing that you'll need to split the revenue 60/40 with the driver, with whoever pays for fuel and tolls getting the 60%. The Freightliner can easily double that $1700 a week gross revenue with a husband and wife team in there, but $1700 is probably all you'll get as a solo. The Isuzu can easily do at least what the Transit can do, just in PITA air cargo.
Thanks turtle! Today I got in contact with a company I found right here on this website that would take my transit on at .93 cents per mile and my box truck/expedite truck at 1.35 per mile loaded/unloaded. Are these fair rates? The transit he said should get about 2400 and the expidite truck 2800 both solo figures before taxes and expenses. They want me to come out for orientation Wednesday Thursday next week and I should have enough time to attend the expiditor event in Michigan as well only 3 hour drive away. I agreed to these rates already what so you guys think? Renegotiate?

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Don't trade the van...sell it outright...then you will not take as much of a loss or none at all....kelly blue book it see what it says avg retail etc....but trading it in will screw you everytime.
I am resigned to keeping it now. I doubt that anyone would have all the cash to pay outright but from what I have been told and have read keeping it may not be so bad and I have a couple options based on what you guys have all said that make me feel cofident in going forward with it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agreed to these rates already what so you guys think? Renegotiate?
No, I think those rates are just about in the middle of the ballpark. After 6-12 months you'll know if that arrangement and that carrier is for you, and you'll know much more about how expediting really operates. Then you'll be able to make more informed decisions and know which are the important questions to ask. I don't know who the carrier is (and am too lazy to try and figure out who is 3 hours from Livonia), but it's a fair deal.

Reactions: Marshall2142

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
No, I think those rates are just about in the middle of the ballpark. After 6-12 months you'll know if that arrangement and that carrier is for you, and you'll know much more about how expediting really operates. Then you'll be able to make more informed decisions and know which are the important questions to ask. I don't know who the carrier is (and am too lazy to try and figure out who is 3 hours from Livonia), but it's a fair deal.
I am going to sit back and be a student here out thanks for the welcome I feel more comfortable with my decision of going over the road and hope I can use my skills as a diesel mechanic to keep my wheels turning. Thanks everyone I will keep you all informed on my journey.

Reactions: wimpy007 and Turtle