I have a CDL A permit, looking for a driver to help train me, will pay

DDrive

New Recruit
Researching
I'm looking for a truck driver I can drive with to help train me so I can prepare for taking my road test for CDL A.
I am willing to pay for the training.

If you know a driver who is interested in help training me, please forward him/her this information.

I have a CDL A permit, DOT physical.
I do not smoke / drink.

Location is irrelevant, I can travel.
I live in Kansas City.

I was offered to join C.R. England's truck driving school in Salt Lake City UT but, due to personal reasons, I can not be away for months and put under a 9 months or 1 year contact.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
To get a job with any reasonable company you will need to go to a school. Most if not all legit companies won't hire you with training from some guy off of the street because it is a massive liability.

Reactions: Steviegoblue

DDrive

New Recruit
Researching
Are you even allowed to haul loads with only a permit? Also good call on avoiding C.R. England

Thank you for the reply.

That is a good question, I am not 100% sure what the answer is, I thought it is the same as with regular DL class C.
I'll have to research it.

I chose to check out C.R. England's school because they put drivers under a 9 months contract, most other companies if not all put drivers under a 12 months contract. I would consider paying to get out of the contract in case of need but they value their training at around $6,000 I think. Western Express values their training at around $2,500 but sadly they do not accept trainees from Kansas City area.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I just got out of truck driving school and I personally think it's a better way to go. It gets you the opportunity to go to better companies than cdl mills like cr, swift, Conway etc. plus you'll get recruiters from several companies while you're there that will hire right after you get out

DDrive

New Recruit
Researching
To get a job with any reasonable company you will need to go to a school. Most if not all legit companies won't hire you with training from some guy off of the street because it is a massive liability.

That's a good point, thank you for sharing.

DDrive

New Recruit
Researching
I just got out of truck driving school and I personally think it's a better way to go. It gets you the opportunity to go to better companies than cdl mills like cr, swift, Conway etc. plus you'll get recruiters from several companies while you're there that will hire right after you get out

The concern I have with attending local truck driving schools not owned by truck driving companies is the limited number of hours they will give me behind the wheels. I'll need to quit my full-time job to start with truck driving training, I want to make sure I have plenty of practice before I take the road test.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You will probably have to quit your full time job that's true but once you get out you'll earn more cpm. It doesn't take long for 4 or 5 cents a mile to make a big difference

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I went thru a local driving school and it took 3 months because of several reasons not all the schools fault and I signed up with averitt as a regional driver so I'll be getting a day or so every week. Most CDL mills will have you out on the road 6 weeks or more at a time. Plus your initial start off will probably be super long before you got home

DDrive

New Recruit
Researching
I went thru a local driving school and it took 3 months because of several reasons not all the schools fault and I signed up with averitt as a regional driver so I'll be getting a day or so every week. Most CDL mills will have you out on the road 6 weeks or more at a time. Plus your initial start off will probably be super long before you got home
You summed up some of the reasons why I would rather not take the free training with truck driving companies. Not because it's a tough life being on the road for weeks wherever they would send me but because I need to have days off in case I get to need them. I don't get to manage my time being under a contract.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
My two cents having been in your position 2 yrs ago. Don't go to a company sponsored school. I can give you 20 good reasons probably, but others are correct, they own you in every way shape and form. Do whatever you can do to go to an independent cdl school to pass your test. Once completed don't settle for the million offers from all the big boys wanting to pay you .25/mi. There are better paying starter companies with great training programs! DO NOT go with Western Express or CR England. Maverick is fantastic! I started with their Refrigerated division making
.44/mi and had a fantastic training experience. Quality company and way better than the Swifts, Werners, Schneiders of the industry. Stay midsized and you'll be fine.