How should I call this, sabotage or discrimination?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been with this carrier for quite a while now, things were ok, not the best nor the worst. Then something happened. First they "stole" one of my drivers, putting him with a different fleet owner. Of course that implied abandoning my truck in a Mickey D parking lot. All what I got was a text message from the driver telling me where I can find the truck. When I called the carrier, they played "we know nothing, we're sorry to hear that". Few weeks later I met the driver in a truck stop and he told me what actually happened, that the recruiter called him and asked him to go for this fleet owner. Another warning signal was that the driver told me he's doing it pretty good with the new truck, busy as hell, while for the time he drove for me (less than three weeks), he barely got some Minnie Mouse runs. Then the carrier asked me to kick out another driver, a guy that drove for me for over a year, because the truck broke down just before the pickup (it was the second time in three months). I really don't know what to believe now, but having that 2014 ProMaster breaking down so many times this year it sounds more like either sabotage or irresponsibility than being a poor built truck. The funny part is that I've heard this guy drives now for the same carrier, I don't know if his own truck or for the same fleet owner that took my other driver. Then another driver after seeing some unorthodox things and complaining to the dispatch (the driver was sitting for two days in the same spot, while other trucks were coming and getting runs after few hours of waiting), I got a call from the recruiter to be advised that it'll be better for me if I get rid of this driver due to his attitude vs dispatch. Then another driver suddenly decided to quit the job, to find him two weeks later with the same carrier. The guy from driver relations dept. told me that he actually got his own van. Whatever happened, if he drives now his van or for someone else, it's his problem, but I believe he was "advised" as well to leave me. And since this wasn't enough, the carrier took from my paycheck the pay for a dry run I had back in April!
I'm just about to look for a good lawyer...

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The difficult thing after reading your Post is knowing who's really being honest, telling the truth
and who isn't. All I really know is they all left your vehicles for whatever reason, you know Ed?
It's kind of all hearsay unless I have had a close friendship with my Driver for 10 years and their integrity is proven.
Sabotage or Discrimination? Sorry, I can't really say. I suppose if I'm a Fleet Owner and I have the new Driver sign my Contract, I might make sure it also says... "Give 2 weeks Notice Prior to Leaving Vehicle". That gives you some time to advertise/locate a replacement/take em to Court.
Can't control WHY a Driver leaves or try to placate, Stop them from doing so if they're not communicating with the Owner. I wish you luck, that's a tough one.
You've got "Fleet Owner/Driver/Carrier"...who's at The Helm? Can't Control anything or anyone ....just thinkin, conversing.

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Opel, your presentation is good. Keep it in this direction so useful communications can be exchanged that may help all expediters, fleet owners etc. Your factoid is quite revealing.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Let me put it this way. If you unhappy with that carrier just go and find an other one. I mean if you not trust them....this is the only way. And you should tell your drivers if they have a problem with dispatch not go into a fight with the dispatch,report the issue to you and you can call the carrier later if you think so. At least this is the way with our drivers. Also put in the contract if the driver does not bring your truck back, you will charge him $1000 from his deposit and his last 2 paycheck.....

Last edited:

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Lol fleet owners and drivers but it sounds to me like your signed on to panther lowest paid gets to run game

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The difficult thing after reading your Post is knowing who's really being honest, telling the truth and who isn't. All I really know is they all left your vehicles for whatever reason, you know Ed?

Not all of them left my vehicles. Two of them left, one was pushed to leave, but I moved the truck to a different carrier, while the last one they said they don't trust him anymore and they recommended me to let him go. Yet, all these three drivers are still driving for the same carrier, either their own van or for other fleet owner(s). And since you mentioned "who's telling the truth and who isn't", why would I post here a lie? If I'd knew I was wrong, I'd keep my mouth shut and avoid to talk about it...

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not saying you're lying at all...I was looking at it and what was told to you from an outsider's viewpoint.
Meant no disrespect. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Opel2010

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are always three sides to every story. And it's virtually impossible to be completely objective when telling your side, even when you think are. Particularly when there may be factors at play of which you are competently unaware.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wait until Monday. Lawyers golf on the weekend when there are no doctors on the course.
61odut-1SBL._SX300_.jpg

Reactions: Turtle

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are always three sides to every story. And it's virtually impossible to be completely objective when telling your side, even when you think are. Particularly when there may be factors at play of which you are competently unaware.
Kinda what I was trying to say ( your first sentence)...it wasn't an attack. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kinda what I was trying to say ( your first sentence)...it wasn't an attack. :)
I've known lots of O/O's in my time here.....some are very gruff with their carriers and DEMAND certain things....they are very sharp with their dispatchers, sharp with management...always they claim 100% to be right....hey if they want to have a confrontational relationship like that, go for it...hope it works out for them....I just wouldn't run my ship like that.....but personally they are really nice guys......everyone handles this biz a little different thats why you'll never really get a quorum of agreement here....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I wouldn't see anything to a carriers advantage to shuffle people on vans. Tractors and straight maybe because those are harder for a carrier to hold.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've known lots of O/O's in my time here.....some are very gruff with their carriers and DEMAND certain things....they are very sharp with their dispatchers, sharp with management...always they claim 100% to be right....hey if they want to have a confrontational relationship like that, go for it...hope it works out for them....I just wouldn't run my ship like that.....but personally they are really nice guys......everyone handles this biz a little different thats why you'll never really get a quorum of agreement here....
Yep, lotsa different brains n business practices!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The title of this thread is "How should I call this sabotage or discrimination?" I don't see either. If your carrier is U.S. based and the alleged stolen drivers are not picking up or delivering freight in Canada because Canadians talk funny that would be discrimination. If the alleged stolen drivers are blowing up bridges and vandalizing road signs that would be sabotage. If the alleged stolen drivers are picking up freight in Canada and delivering said freight within Canada that would be cabotage. You will need to find an attorney well versed in contract law, criminal law, foreign trade and civil rights.

JustPeachy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
So why worry??? Drivers come and go. It's up to the fleet owner to have a good report with his/her team and do the best that the owner can to run the business from a owner's point. Stop tryin to put it on someone else and just deal with it and keep moving forward. If you bring lawyers and top moves from carriers into it then here's a NEWS FLASH....you loose again.....