How often are loads from Ohio to Texas offered?

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
Regarding Cargo Vans, I've heard a lot of people talk about getting stuck in Texas for days at a time. How often are there loads available from Ohio to Texas? Do people turn them down often because of the possibility of getting stuck?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Regarding Cargo Vans, I've heard a lot of people talk about getting stuck in Texas for days at a time. How often are there loads available from Ohio to Texas? Do people turn them down often because of the possibility of getting stuck?
I do, some have great luck, others not so much, I'm in the not so much crowd, so I won't go anymore.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
But how often are runs from Ohio to Texas offered? Is it something that you can pretty consistently get? Like every week?

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do, some have great luck, others not so much, I'm in the not so much crowd, so I won't go anymore.
I met Jim, a Driver/Recruiter (formerly a Fireman) with PTL today. Nice guy. We were both picking up in Oregon, Ohio.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've known John Mueller at PTL for many years. My opinion is that John is a stand up guy in the true sense of the term. You can count on whatever he tells you being truthful and the best available information at the time. I don't know that he does any recruiting any more but I have a strong suspicion he requires the same "stand up" from any of his guys.

Reactions: RonJonCMC

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've known John Mueller at PTL for many years. My opinion is that John is a stand up guy in the true sense of the term. You can count on whatever he tells you being truthful and the best available information at the time. I don't know that he does any recruiting any more but I have a strong suspicion he requires the same "stand up" from any of his guys.
John pretty much sticks to safety these days, Scott is the top recruiter and I've heard that Anne is there now, haven't seen her, I try to stay away from the office as much as possible

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I see jobs listed multiple times a day everyday! I don't do them cause there is never enough time allowed I'm solo!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's the thing with a place like laredo. Yes loads go in and come out often. But yesterday there was 65 available vans in a 50 mile radius not including FedEx or Panther vans. Everyone knows what competition does to rates.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I actually didn't ask that question specifically because I was more familiar with the answer to that already, based on research I had done before I started the thread. But yes, I understand knowing both is important. But knowing how often I could expect to get the chance to go to Texas from Ohio is the most important question for me right now.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I would say there are loads to TX from OH everyday but if the destination is anyplace TX you better bump up the rate going down. if your in a van you need to get at least an extra .20 per mile just to be on the safe side and don't contribute
to the rate wars to get out.use he extra .20 for fuel to go home and wait on the next one.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
U don't have to worry about FedEx cargo vans staying in Laredo. Usually stay there Monday to get an airport run. Then we leave, if ur smart. The next chance for us to get us any run out is Thursday. The smart ones leave. That's why u don't c a lot of FedEx cargo vans @ the j. Big trucks, different story.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
We also have a 700mi restriction as a single driver. Which makes it worse for getting out. Don't get me wrong. I like the mileage restriction. 40hrs straight driving? Been there, done that. Shouldn't have to do that to make a living.

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
Milage restriction = income restriction Tell me how many miles the load is, and then I tell the dispatcher what I will need to get the load there safely and on time. I know it doesn't always work that way, but it keeps me informed of the mph avg they are expecting me to maintain on that particular run.