How long to keep a Sprinter...

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lately the wife and I keep asking ourselves this question.. Our sprinter has 3/4 a million miles on it and we've done nothing above basic maintenance on it . I'm starting to get weary as I'm starting to see its age lol. I've had no working glow plugs for well over a year and it's starting to smoke on cold start...hell it looks the the bat mobile but the dang thing keeps chugging down the road at the 20-21mpg mark and 19.8 average for its lifetime. It's starting to rust and tends to "rumble" a bit at idle and with the glow plug exception passed its yearly check up with Mercedes. When have most of you stopped gambling and bought new? It's an 08 that DOESN'T have DEF and I'm tempted to spend 20k or so on engine rebuild and some body work just so I don't have to deal with that crap! And please I know everyone has opinions on the Sprinter but I'd just as soon not turn it into a bash session I want facts and opinions on REAL longevity !

Thanks again for the collective wisdom

Eric

Sent from my flying circus

Deville

Not a Member
I say get rid of it now and sell it to me for like $1500.

I definitely see a ring job in the future.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I say get rid of it now and sell it to me for like $1500.

I definitely see a ring job in the future.

Hey now! I'd ask at least 5k for "emotional attachment" and I'm not ready to sell yet! lol hence the post !! :)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just keep it, flush out the motor with this stuff and try and get it up to a million miles. (requires 2 Be prepared to take any goodies out of it that you might have. When the new model sprinter drops get a new one, but that will be between 2016 and 2018. New one rumors better mpg and air ride suspension more premium big rig features.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lately the wife and I keep asking ourselves this question.. Our sprinter has 3/4 a million miles on it and we've done nothing above basic maintenance on it . I'm starting to get weary as I'm starting to see its age lol. I've had no working glow plugs for well over a year and it's starting to smoke on cold start...hell it looks the the bat mobile but the dang thing keeps chugging down the road at the 20-21mpg mark and 19.8 average for its lifetime. It's starting to rust and tends to "rumble" a bit at idle and with the glow plug exception passed its yearly check up with Mercedes. When have most of you stopped gambling and bought new? It's an 08 that DOESN'T have DEF and I'm tempted to spend 20k or so on engine rebuild and some body work just so I don't have to deal with that crap! And please I know everyone has opinions on the Sprinter but I'd just as soon not turn it into a bash session I want facts and opinions on REAL longevity !

Thanks again for the collective wisdom

Eric

whether its a van,sprinter or tt, your question requires a Crystal Ball to figure out your answer. But I do have some old Buffalo Chips and fire starters. just kidding.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just think with some good shopping around for prices you can have a whole drive live installed for under 20K with a 100,000 mile warranty and have the same comfortable van all setup for this biz......if you went new or used you'd have to set it up all over again and a new learning curve as well.....and we all know that curve always takes a turn thru the wallet...

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just think with some good shopping around for prices you can have a whole drive live installed for under 20K with a 100,000 mile warranty and have the same comfortable van all setup for this biz......if you went new or used you'd have to set it up all over again and a new learning curve as well.....and we all know that curve always takes a turn thru the wallet...

OVM that is exactly our point! Only downside is I'm only a 170" non ext. BUT if we do buy new it'll be a transit so nothing gained anyway!!! Lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM that is exactly our point! Only downside is I'm only a 170" non ext. BUT if we do buy new it'll be a transit so nothing gained anyway!!! Lol

170"? cargo space? ....whats your point?.....an 05 is 14' from back of seat to door...plenty of room?....

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've Reread your OP and to me, if your asking the question should I rebuild or buy new.

I would say new because your talking about 20k, now if you were talking about 10k I would say drop a motor in the thing.

That is what I'm going to do since last year I had to put a new transmission and also had to have the differental totally rebuilt. Without those two things I would have bought new this year. Now I'm just going to work the next couple of months and if I'm lucky in May or June I'll drop a motor in the van. Things can change but that is the plan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's Mr. Clown to you...
images

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After debate we are going to do a few things... #1 have Mercedes inspect the engine for wear...if it survives that have glow plugs put in it,flush the motor get its 4th alignment in 12 months and make arrangements for paint... Here's hoping!

Thanks for your input !

Sent from my flying circus ....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd have a front end shop check for a bad/worn part as Sprinters are usually bulletproof with alignments.