How does everyone else feel about this

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Read the other thread, many are following the idea that this will destroy the industry while I say not a big deal.

Did you work for an auto company?

denny2010

Expert Expediter
i used to work for the auto industry.....11 years of working 7 days a week and then bam no- work.....moved north and survived..looking to move on........all i can say is most of the time, this GOVERNMENT scares me...........lol

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
greg wrote:

many are following the idea that this will destroy the industry

Where is that thread greg?? where did anyone post that this was going to DESTORY the industry?? Please show that post for all to see to backup what you are trying to convey that someone here said that mexican trucks coming here was going to DESTROY the industry....so typical.....:rolleyes:

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
I've was employed in services to manufacturing most of my life, but as we know a large of percentage of manufacturing has moved out of the country

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know if there were any issues when Canada/US started crossing each others boarders?

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
It will drop freight prices. No doubt there, more trucks available for the same amount of loads, rates will go down. Will it kill the industry? Nah, America moves by truck. Yeah, there are other transportation options, but how many grocery stores have rail docks? Ship berths? Runways? None that I've seen. Length of haul may get shorter eventually, but right now, it'll be about rates. Of course, all this depends on the Mexican trucking companies upgrading their equipment and procedures to operate here. I'm betting not many will.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know if there were any issues when Canada/US started crossing each others boarders?

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

One of my drivers back in the early 70's would run to Sas////wan (can't spell it) all the time. They had a shortage of Levis up there and couldn't get any. The one's they did get were selling for up to a $100 bucks ea. Back then that was way to much. He would go buy them at Stores and get the best sizes and stuff his sleeper with them and run the border. He had a truck stop up there somewhere where people would buy them for $75 ea. He did that for about a year. Do that now and get life.:D
I was always scared he would get caught and they would take my truck. But back then trucking was a different world.:D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Something a lot of truckers don't know is Shipper responsibility.
If a shipper knowingly loads a truck that is illegal and dangerous to conduct operations they can be sued the same as the trucking company. That's why companies will not knowingly overload trucks anymore (unless their crazy). If they get caught at a scale it can be brought back to shipper responsibility (especially hazardous). It would not take to many accidents from Mexican Drivers and news to stop all that. I really don't think it will hurt us.

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
This really frightens me because what stops the large trucking firm from just opening a Mexican branch like Swift has. Like all other industries the largest controllable expense is labor. It only makes sense for the Swifts to have as large a 13 cent a mile work force as possible to maximize profit for the share holders. How far do we allow the American standard of living go down? any one who has traveled out of the country realizes most of the world lives out of small shacks with no social programs, no real education and no hope of getting out of poverty. If your not born wealthy then your a low class expendable life form that exists for the sake of cheap labor.
Obviously this change will not happen over night but Ross Perot warned of what has happened to American manufacturing 20 or so years ago. I'm sure in as much time Americans will be telling their grandkids of the time when trucking was a good job for the persons suited for that type of work. That is if we sit back and allow it to happen

fortwayne

Not a Member
If and I repeat this gets through the knucklehead presidents of these two nations it will still have other hurdles to clear before becoming law.
Those taco pullers they call trucks will have to abide by our hos regulations period, that is a fact....just google it.
Also, IMHO those outlaws will not be welcomed here, period...and its time someone says it. Heck, do u think at their terminals we r going to be welcomed? NO NO and NO!
Where is the upside for the American trucker Mr. Obama?
Where is the upside for American workers Mr Obama?
Shame on Obama for kneeling down again and for tar and feathering the American trucker.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
greg wrote:

many are following the idea that this will destroy the industry

Where is that thread greg?? where did anyone post that this was going to DESTORY the industry?? Please show that post for all to see to backup what you are trying to convey that someone here said that mexican trucks coming here was going to DESTROY the industry....so typical.....:rolleyes:

Oh I don't know Dennis, it seems many are acting as it is going to be the worst thing that happens to the country and the industry, many act as if it going to put people out of business but not one person here or other places is willing to back up the things they say are facts;

Mexican truckers are paid a lot less than we are

the trucks they drive are junk

this will take jobs away for American workers

fuel is a lot less than what we pay

Well maybe we need to actually have some facts to back that all up, but where are they?

Instead we keep hearing how it will destroy our industry (source - Jimmy Hoffa, interview with one of the NPR programs) which is repeated and repeated and repeated so much that people are believing all of it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Where is it repeated here?? No one here has said it will destory the industry,,,and provide the link to Jimmy Hoffa saying it...and i can say from his "union membership" point of view, i am sure he thinks that, but It certainly hasn't been repeated here as you inferred...So please provide the post where anyone here has stated it will destory the industry...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Obama is trying his best to destroy America, but I don't think one NUMB NUT can do it.

As far as Swift paying 13 cents a mile, I didn't know they paid that well.:D

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Instead we keep hearing how it will destroy our industry (source - Jimmy Hoffa, interview with one of the NPR programs) which is repeated and repeated and repeated so much that people are believing all of it.

Jimmy Hoffa? (missing since 1970 something) or James Hoffa?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
To many, he is Jimmy jr.

Anywho nitpicky people, go read OOIDA and the teamsters site - oh and read about the two interviews by Lockeridge and that other XM radio guy.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Most of the major trucking companies have Mexican authority,and use Mexican nationals to move the freight from the border towns to the Mexican deliveries.If you see a Mexican truck norht of the border,take a picture,cause I havent seen any.Sure, many in Laredo and the border towns,and border towns in Arizona,California.When we first started runnng Canada,most companies dropped their loads at the border,and companies with the Canadian authority would deliver,wish it was that way now.If you think freight rates are going to drop,because of the Mexican trucks,you must be smoking something illegal.At $3.75/gallon and going up,there will be less trucks as most won't be able to pay for the fuel.I do advise when sleeping,tie your guard dog to the fuel cap

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
One of my favorite parts highlighted in red......

SPECIAL REPORT: OOIDA outraged with cross-border trucking plan

By Jami Jones, Land Line senior editor

Thursday, March 3, 2010 – Despite repeated acknowledgement of the violence and drug trafficking plaguing Mexico, President Barack Obama and Mexico President Felipe Calderón announced that a cross-border trucking program is imminent.

The Obama and Calderón jointly announced a tentative agreement to resume cross-border trucking during Calderón’s state visit to the United States on March 3.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association learned shortly before the announcement that there is not 100 percent agreement on the program, but the Department of Transportation still expects to publish the proposal in the Federal Register in late March or early April.

The plan to press forward with opening the border does not sit well at all with OOIDA.

“Simply unbelievable,” said Todd Spencer, executive vice president of OOIDA. “For all the president’s talk of helping small businesses survive, his administration is sure doing their best to destroy small trucking companies and the drivers they employ.”

Spencer pointed to the numerous proposed regulations the Department of Transportation continues to use to target U.S. truckers.

“Small-business truckers are in the midst of dealing with an avalanche of regulatory rulemakings from the administration. They are also struggling to survive in a very difficult economy. This announcement is tantamount to rubbing salt in wounds already inflicted,” Spencer said.

“Mexico-domiciled trucking companies and drivers simply do not contend with a similar regulatory regime in their home country nor must they contend with the corresponding regulatory compliance costs that encumber their U.S. counterparts.”

OOIDA leadership has also learned that while it remains unknown how many motor carriers will be involved in the program, the tentative agreement includes a phased-in opening of the border, which would give reciprocal access to Mexico’s highways to U.S. truckers.

Spencer questions just how many U.S. truckers would even be willing to run into Mexico with the growing violence. He pointed out that even the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned trucking companies to stay out of Mexico because of the high number of hijackings.

The program also includes an electronic on-board recorder mandate for all trucks from Mexico participating in the program. OOIDA learned that the EOBRs will be purchased by the United States, although it remains unclear if that money will come from taxes paid by U.S. truckers into the Highway Trust Fund.

The tentative agreement also addresses drug testing and English proficiency.

The announcement of a new cross-border program comes after two years of Mexican tariffs on U.S. products, placed in retaliation for the elimination of the previous cross-border trucking program.

OOIDA contends that the legality of the original tariffs should have been challenged. Spencer noted, “The administration’s failure to challenge those tariffs has jeopardized the livelihoods of millions of truckers and other Americans.”

As part of the agreement to open the border, the tariffs will be phased out with 50 percent being eliminated once the proposal is published to the Federal Register. The remaining half will be eliminated when the first Mexican motor carrier is granted authority.

“Mexico’s economic bullying tactics should not be tolerated. The onus is on Mexico to raise the safety, security and environmental standards for their trucking industry,” added Spencer. “We should not allow ourselves to be harassed into lowering our standards.”

Mexico is also pressuring the U.S. to give Mexican motor carriers that were part of the previous cross-border program credit for the time they operated in the U.S. That means after 18 months’ worth of operations in the U.S., they could be granted permanent operating authority to run in the states.

Even if the pilot program is canceled, Mexican trucks with permanent operating authority would be able to continue to operate in the United States.

“This is supposed to be a pilot program, and pilot programs are supposed to test something. This plan tests nothing,” Spencer said. “The announcement amounts to nothing more than easing the door open for Mexican trucks to gain permanent authority to operate in the U.S.”

Copyright 2011 by OOIDA