How does ComData work?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hi,

I'm curious to how ComData works. I had it with my old company & used it to buy gas & such until I saw the charges they stuck on ya. Yipes!!!

I recall $2.60 charges for $20/gas & things of that nature. I had thought it worked like a debit card. I didn't realize I'd be getting charged for using my own money. Thus I quit using it.

Anyways, w/ my new company I never use the card, but my paycheck is put in a ComData account. I'd like to transfer this to my checking account. I'm wondering what kind of fees they'll nail me with.

I called ComData themselves & they were evasive as all get out in terms of giving me answers to what the charges would be. They pretty much said "contact your company" to every question I had. The problem is no one at my company seems to know either.

If I take out $1000 & put it into my checking account, about how much can I expect to pay in service charges? If I was to take out $1500 would the charges be more or is it a one time charge no matter how much I take out?

Can I take out the full amount in there or will they tack on some kind of fee & then say I'm overdrawn & hit me w/ another charge? I just don't get how this works.

I'm floored that I've got 2 weeks worth of checks sitting in that flippin account & I have no way of knowing how much it's going to cost me to get it.

Thanx in advance for any responses. Also, feel free to comment on anything ya feel might be important but I didn't ask about. This is really confusing.

Be well,
Danny

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Someone at your Company should have the Com Data information that applies to that Company and to you. Different companies have different types of accounts with ComData so fees are different.

With FEDEXCC after you are loaded FDX will advance 45% of your trip onto the ComData card. This is for a C,D or E unit. There is a charge of $1.55 to load the funds onto the card,then you get 3 debits off that amount for fuel,cash advance etc. After the 3 hits then they charge $1.00 per debit. That can get expensive.

If your company loads funds into ComData perhaps they have a direct deposit into your own bank account.Seems to me like the effort on the part of the company would be the same.

y2jedi

Expert Expediter
I started the Comdata card system at a Moving company I used to be with and I advised all of my drivers to have someone at home with a book of Comcheks and have someone physically deposit the money at the bank after registering a check. This would only cost my guys $2.50. Most of the guys took my advise and used their debit cards instead of incurring the various per transaction charges. The other thing I had to preach to my guys was that you should always call the # on the back of the card to get your balance. I can't tell you how many times guys wasted $2 checking their balance on an ATM machine.
Hope this helps.
Shawn

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
dan if you go to comdata web site and sign up you will see all the charges on your card as i have done the same and when you use the card at a atm depending on company that owns the machine there is anywhere from 0 to 3.00 per use\
wawa charges 0 to use there machine
a ball park idea is about 3.00 charge
and this is tax write off each time
call me and tell ya more about egl use of the card

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The carrier I used ComData with allowed the option of direct depositing from ComData to my business checking account . There was no charge for this and I didn't have to use Comchecks or cash advances at the pump .

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Thanx guys for the input. It cleared some of my concerns up for sure. I've avoided that card like the plague for about a month now, but since my money's in that account I'd better get used to it or I'm going to end up leaving a huge ComData inheritance for someone.

Be well,
Danny

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
You should really check to see if can set up direct deposit from ComData to your checking account or at least write yourself a ComCheck for most of the balance and deposit it in your checking account .Truck stops charge too much for a cash advance or ComCheck and the amount limit is too small .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We just got our cards yesterday. There is a fee of $1.75 each time they load money on the card. There is a fee of $1 if you use a Cirrus ATM machine. There is no fee to use it as a debit card at wallyworld or wherever. That is in the Landstar system. It's the closest to fee free I've seen yet in the very few companies I've been with.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I cannot answer on ComData as I refused it at my last carrier and my current one does not believe in it which is fine by me. But another answer may be PDCA which is Flying J they have got a very good deal for us drivers.

No fees for deposites
No Atm fees at there places
Free balance inquires
Free Checking
Cash price at the pump
Internet access or 800 #
Its a debit card so if you want to use it anywhere you can (I do not)

From what I have seen in the last year I am more and more impressed with the card. I always keep a strong balance so I can buy fuel out here at a discounted price have access to cash without going to a bank and paying any fees. I always know I am within two days reach of finding a J.

There customer service # is 800 398 8591 good luck.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Thanx for the input folks. For starters I feel a lil better about this thing. That in itself is huge. Also, I talked to a driver at my company. He said I get one free check per week & any check after that is 50 cents. He didn't mention any fees, but did tell me that the wisest thing to do was to write out that check for everything in my ComData account & just put it in my bank account.

I like the direct deposit idea even better, but if I have to go to my bank once a week that's not the end of the world. I was bracing for a 3% charge or something along those lines everytime I made a transaction.

Be well & thanx for the insights,
Danny