How Do Cargo Van Drivers Make Money At 70 Cents Per Mile?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If any one doubts the figures I will be happy to Scan you the original settlement page from Panther that the figures are copied from..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe that is a escrow component on the QC. Never heard of 55 a week for the QC? If so, anyone else paying that? I seem to be getting a hell of a discount.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If any one doubts the figures I will be happy to Scan you the original settlement page from Panther that the figures are copied from..

we are curious as to the double charge of sat messaging and the the QC charge..isn't it the same thing??

Dave..do you pay those charges?

escrow charges don't go on for infinity???

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Same page week of 11/19/07
Satellite Messaging $35.00 Physical Damage/Bobtail $23.53 Truck Insurance Escrow $30.00 QualCom Satellite $20.00 Occupational Insurance $17.47. I'll say it again, if you want me to scan you the page I will be happy to.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No. They only weekly fee that we pay is the 35 for QC. Can't comment on the insurance as our coverage is outside of Panther.

aileron

Expert Expediter
When I was with the cat, they had 2 separate escrow funds, the regular one that stopped at 750 or so, and then another qc escrow kind of thing that would stop after I forget the ammount. I suspect that is what the 20 extra charge is.
How long have you been with Panther?

guido4475

Not a Member
The way I was figuring is like this- c-15 water pump $1,200 min. Van-$200.00?
10 wheeler plates-$900.00 Van-$100.00?
c-15 oil change-$250.00 Van-$70.00?
fuel mpg- 8.0 Van-19.8
insurance- $200.00 Van-$50.00
tires(10) $3,000.00 Van-(5)$825.00
quarterly fuel taxes Van-no fuel taxes

these are just a few examples to name a few.
10 wheeler pay-$1.10 Van-.85-1.00
it is easy to see why one might consider a van over a s/t. not as comfortable, but at 19.6 mpg,going home is affordable.

Reactions: intransit

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
fuel mpg- 8.0 Van-19.8

it is easy to see why one might consider a van over a s/t. not as comfortable, but at 19.6 mpg,going home is affordable.

Thats exactly why I won't go back to the big trucks....show me da money....

aileron

Expert Expediter
bear, I see those statements are from 07. Do you still get charged that now? If so, there is a problem, and you should call them to get it figured out.

guido4475

Not a Member
truth of the matter is, most s/t o/o's are 1 breakdown away from bankruptcy.It is far easier to come up with a lesser amount for a van repair than to go and ask for a loan for a repair on a s/t.Last weekend I replaced the front springs in my van.So easy, we could do this in the lot of a flying j. take the lower shockbolt off,the tire,and the bolt holding the spring clip on the upper spring.take the weight off off the axle,push down on the rotor and the spring litterally falls out.if i had to replace front springs on my s/t, it would cost me over 1,500 to have done. but the van cost 250.00 for a pair of springs and that was it.the advantages go on and on..

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I stated 2007 in the first post. I left Panther long ago. One of the reasons being, $504.00 a month being taken from my monies due each month.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
One reason I lease a truck through Penske. All maintenance and breakdowns are covered. I even get a rental unit to use while mine is down. This works for the company I work for as I can use a rental truck if needed.
This service on my lease costs me .08 a mile
I call it my piece of mind plan. I don't have to worry about a thing except for diesel. Sure it might be cheaper to repair my own truck but then again it might not be. Breakdowns can happen at anytime any mileage.

I don't know if you can lease a expeditor truck through Penske, but it is definately looking into. Plus they have numerous service departments in every state.

toreadora

Active Expediter
fuel mpg- 8.0 Van-19.8

well I was going to ask a lot of questions about cargo van because I`m tired of driving semi like a crazy ,but it seems like i got my answer.I will stay with the semi because i can`t dream for that much money with cargo van wow.For example I booked already around $180 000 and by the end of the year I will hit 200 000 for sure...yes I DO have more expenses with semi ,guess how much I will put in my pocket for a year since my truck is paid off :)
Yes I make,but this is not for young people like me .... it`s ****ing killing me slowly

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Somebody dug up a 3.5 year old thread. Anybody got an oak stake?

Hey , at least you know straight truck rates went up $.10 a mile in the last 3 years.
Those Qualcomm charges are ridiculous . My carrier (nonexpedite) went from Qualcomm to XRS . No equipment charges , just $30 a month .