Hino Expeditor

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
I was looking into purchasing a Hino 260 exp truck. I've heard their engines are bulletproof but when you need maintenance work it can get expensive and long wait for parts. The pros to this is the breakdowns are far and few between. Is this accurate to any other Hino owners or should I consider a different but similarly dependable model?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was looking into purchasing a Hino 260 exp truck. I've heard their engines are bulletproof but when you need maintenance work it can get expensive and long wait for parts. The pros to this is the breakdowns are far and few between. Is this accurate to any other Hino owners or should I consider a different but similarly dependable model?
Before you do anything, read these----

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/31702-hino-nightmare.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/39655-my-hino-nightmare.html

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Hi there. I work on Hinos and other Japanese trucks for a living.

Let's start with the negatives. Hino's dealer network is not nearly as well established as most other major brands. Almost all Hino dealers are also the dealers of more popular brands of trucks, and most of the money set aside for training technicians and stuff like that goes to the more popular brands. In some areas of the country, Hinos are a rare sight. They'll send someone to all the classes but that guy might see one once a week or less, and all that training is quickly forgotten. With that said, every training class Hino offers is packed. Dealers are trying to get more people trained, and Hino is expanding their training facility.

Parts are fairly expensive.

These aren't the kinds of things that you can put together with an impact wrench. The Japanese assumed that if they published torque specifications, people would use them. Hahhahahaha! People with wrenches are constantly damaging these things, I swear.

The technical manuals are confusing as hell. You'll know exactly what I mean the second you open one.

Very little diagnostic work can be done without the dealer software. Pretty much all brands are guilty of this right now. But let's use a 2014 Hino 268 as an example. You could hook a generic code scanner to the 9-pin round connector, and you might get engine codes. You will not get anything useful from the dosing control unit, the burner control unit, you'll get no data from either, either. You could talk to the transmission and ABS computers, since they're running on the low speed data bus.

Sometimes some parts are backordered, sometimes with a long wait time. The most common replacement parts are usually well stocked. Rarely do we run into something that takes more than 2-3 days to get. This kind of ties into that crappy mechanic thing: There are some parts on the truck that will last the life of the vehicle. If some numbskull manages to break it, you might be waiting for a while.

The positives:
The engine architecture has been around for a long time. It's been evolving and improving. Things are constantly being updated. For example, there have been improvements in piston design, with the newest models going to an all steel piston to better reduce thermal stresses. They have updated the piston cooling nozzles. There have been updates to the sealing surfaces of the oil cooler. Updates to the head gasket (for anyone reading this with an external oil leak from their head gasket, there is a new one just released to fix this very problem). The injectors have been updated to include diamond-like carbon coatings on wear surfaces.

The cylinder liners are nitrided. Idk of any other manufacturer doing this. If the truck hasn't suffered from a colossal overheat, the cylinder liners basically don't wear.

These trucks are capable of getting pretty good fuel mileage, especially if they are geared appropriately for their application and aren't driven like race cars.

The 05-14 conventional trucks have brakes, axles, transmissions (aside from earlier trucks with Aisin transmissions), ABS systems, etc. from well known American companies like Eaton, Meritor, Allison, etc. Stuff that all diesel mechanics are familiar with.

If a shortcoming is noticed and reported and it can be improved via computer reprogramming (aftertreatment systems fall into this category), Hino has no qualms about recalling every single truck and reflashing the computers. 11-13 conventional trucks were a good example with their dpf heating systems. These were problematic. Reprogramming the burner unit and putting in a set of longer igniters vastly improved their reliability.

Their warranty is pretty good. Injectors went south and it cooked the dpf? No problem, you get all new injectors and dpf. That's like 8-10 grand worth of parts right there. There's actually a recall campaign going on right now for older 08-10 trucks. ECMs getting reflashed, if the dpf is damaged it's replaced, no questions asked. Exhaust brake is set correctly.

I could go on and on and on and on. Do you have any specific questions?

There's also a thread stickied at the top of this forum that might be worth reading. Some of the earlier posts are already obsolete because things are always being updated.

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
Wow thanks for all the info guys. Seems as though they might be good for local exp but could bankrupt you if it breaks down otr

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow thanks for all the info guys. Seems as though they might be good for local exp but could bankrupt you if it breaks down otr
If you are dead set on getting a Hino, I would do what ever it takes to get the truck inspected by our very own greasytshirt. The guy knows Hinos!
vector-of-a-cartoon-man-trying-to-figure-out-how-to-fix-flat-tire-on-a-monster-truck-by-gnurf-85.jpg

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I was also looking into an 08 freigtliner 280 hp

180k miles

Maybe a better choice?

Does it have a CAT C7? If so, yes, there are a plethora of better choices. Including steam engines and canvas sails.

Here's a recent one.

O8T12Xh.jpg

xR9pBVf.jpg

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

If it was towed to a shop that had no experience with them, then that's a possibility. Parts might start getting thrown at it. For example, I've never replaced the following parts on ANY Hino truck:
Cam position sensor
crank position sensor (the one I crushed during an engine swap doesn't count)
coolant temp sensor
intake air pressure sensor
Mass airflow sensor/intake air temp sensor (I've cleaned a few. None have ever failed).
Fuel temperature sensor
Engine computer
Common rail pressure sensor

I've had two accelerator pedal sensors get flakey. Neither caused a problem with power or acceleration.

The point I'm trying to make is that they do not respond to having parts thrown at them at all.

Yet it happens all the time.

I've given a ton of information in the stickied thread at the top of this forum. If you have a specific question about an '08, ask away. Once one figures out how they work, troubles become a lot less daunting. Until that point, it's like trying to understand Japanese.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's says it has:

280hp. ISB 6.7 Cummins

Run some oil samples on it. If that looks good, I imagine you'll be fine.

Hinos are well built too. You just need to be aware of facilities on your route that know what to do with them.

You haven't mentioned what year the Hino is.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
2011 Hino w 325k

I'd check for the following updates:

Blue ignitors
DCU software ending in 0123
BCU software ending in 25F7. If it's from a dealer, or you can get it to a dealer, reflash the BCU to 25F8, and reflash the ecu to the latest version.

You're probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about. 2011-2014 trucks have a burner system to heat the dpf during regens and to heat up the selective catalyst system. Initially they were kind of problematic. Several things have been done to improve reliability (which have worked). The original white igniters were recalled and replaced with slightly longer blue ones. This improved the spark strength between them. Then a subsequent number of BCU programs were released to protect the igniters and atomizer nozzle from getting clogged up. These updates have made a dramatic change in reliability. The very latest BCU and ECU program changes further protect the dpf from clogging in the case of an impending injector failure. Previously, little data was pulled from the DPF differential pressure sensor (soot load was a calculation of fuel used and some other things, but not delta pressure). Now delta pressure is a stronger indicator of when a DPF needs to be regenerated.

Check the NOx sensors. Unscrew both of them from the SCR. The tip looks a lot like an O2 sensor. The early ones which were prone to failure had a stepped tip. If you see one with a stepped tip, it's going to fail sooner or later. With 325k on the odo, they've both probably been replaced already.

Service records...when was the last time the DEF filter got replaced? Burner fuel filter? Was the DPR maintenance done to it at 200k?

Have a dealer pull a DX report and look at system protection data. Overheats? How many? How hot? Over revs? How badly? Look at dpf outlet temp. Does it approach 1450F? Is there soot in the exhaust pipe? Both are bad.

Have an injection quantity test done. Is the injection quantity 7 or higher? Are the injector correction numbers all close to zero? Is the exhaust brake set correctly?

Bottom line: If the injectors look crappy, it'll eventually nuke the DPF. Instead of freaking out, use this information as a bargaining chip. The sale of this truck has to be contingent on it going to a dealer and having this stuff checked. It should not take more than an hour to accomplish, maybe a little longer if you want the tech to explain in detail what he found.

Eventually, the vast majority of the trucks on the road will have this equipment on it.

Slightly easier are the 08-10 trucks, with a DPF only, DPF heating coming from post injection. 2005-2007 trucks have neither, but most of these have circumnavigated the globe a hundred times already.

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
Good wealth of information sir.. Worth looking into it knowing this and knowing how dependable these trucks can be. I've seen them with over 700k

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Good wealth of information sir.. Worth looking into it knowing this and knowing how dependable these trucks can be. I've seen them with over 700k
I can't tell you which one to buy, that's up to you. But I can't stress enough the value of a third party evaluation of any truck you are considering. It needs to be combed over very critically. Are you going to be doing any of the repairs yourself?