High oil pressure - 3126 engine

Deville

Not a Member
You need to hook this truck up to a diagnostic computer & than you will know what's going on. Forget about the dash guage or the mechanical guage. The ECM won't lie.

When was the last time you had an over head done on this truck?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I would look at hooking the gauge up. That should tell you if the sensor is good or bad. Sensor would be cheaper than jumping to changing the pump.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If a sensor is bad,won't it lie to the ECM,which would then lie to you ?
The old garbage in, Garbage out theory ?

To me, the mechanical guauge should be the way to start.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You need to hook this truck up to a diagnostic computer & than you will know what's going on. Forget about the dash guage or the mechanical guage. The ECM won't lie.

When was the last time you had an over head done on this truck?

I never have. Haven't run it much in the 10 months I've owned it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

The mechanical and dashboard gauges aren't that much off. I'm doubting it's the gauge, tho it can't hurt to eliminate it as a problem.

Deville

Not a Member

If the sensor is bad it will throw a trouble code.

Deville

Not a Member
The mechanical and dashboard gauges aren't that much off. I'm doubting it's the gauge, tho it can't hurt to eliminate it as a problem.

If you feel comfortable that guage isn't an issue than you have to decide how far you want to go in fixing it. I agree throwing parts at the truck won't slove anything if you are replaceing good part after good part.

If you have to replace parts in the dark than go with the cheapest, & that may be the pressure relief valve. To be honest with you I have never had a oil pump issue. I was under the impression most oil pumps were mechanical driven off the motor.

You are playing russian roulette with your engine. If it was me I think I would replace the pump pressure relief valve & be done with it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It was the oil pump. I'm going to take it out for an extended spin around the block, but that's what it is. They idled it for quite awhile, and when the pressure came down, it was in the norm. No metal in either the oil pan or the filter... so I didn't screw up the engine.

Thanx for everyone's advice.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Good yo hear that its not too bad, should have you up and going soon....:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2