HELP - Sterling headlamp/gauge cluster

eporter801

Rookie Expediter
2007 Sterling Acterra, 867K miles - At first, driving with highbeams on for extended period of time caused all headlights and gauges to become inoperative without warning. The only way to correct the problem was to hold the highbeam switch back for 15 to 20 seconds. After this short holding of the switch, releasing it would result in the problem disappearing.

The next day, driving with headlights on for approximately 10 minutes caused all gauges to stop functioning and/or freeze with red gauge lights flickering. Parking in the shade for approximately 20 minutes allowed something to cool down, alleviating the problem. We are now pushing to get to our delivery before sundown, as we cannot run headlamps at all now.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redskunk

Expert Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Army
I used to have an 06 Sterling that the headlights would go out on. Never had trouble with the gauges though.

The problem was in the wiring harness under the hood. There is a section where the wires from the headlights plug into the main wiring harness. The main harness was secured to the truck frame with a clamp in such a way that when you closed the hood it put tension on the wires going into the plug and created a short.

There are several different wires running through there. I would get a test light and check to see if they have power.

Another place to look is at is the multi-function switch on your steering column. It may have a short in it. If so you can pick up a new one at a Freightliner dealer. While it will take you a little while to tear apart the steering column, it isn't to hard to replace the switch if you have any mechanical skills.

Good Luck.

eporter801

Rookie Expediter
I will check the harness and replace the switch after we drop this load. Even if it's not the switch, it wouldn't hurt to have a new one at such a high mileage. Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll report back later tonight.

eporter801

Rookie Expediter
SOLVED: The problem got worse and worse the farther south we travelled, so I figured it was probably related to temperature. After being told the shop in Oklahoma had an hour wait to even look at it, I decided to go hunting myself. Found out that both headlamp circuit breakers (in cab and under hood) were a lower amperage than required. Switched them out with spares and the problem is no more. Back on the road!!

Thank you for your help RedSkunk!!