Mechanical Help me with converting a tractor to a box truck

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was reading a tread I thought it was here but can't find it now about doing conversions of tractors to box trucks

I would like to know how it's done and where to get accurate pricing for doing so my thought was to buy a nice used tractor and make a heavy box out of it
It seems that tractors are a little bit less expensive on the front side and I might be able to cash flow the rest

Anyone know anything about this subject?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
When I had my truck stretched 5' it cost me about 4800 , that included mounting my box and sleeper , stretching the frame rolling the axel back ,extending the drive shaft, adding frame cross members ,a new carrier bearing mount and extending all the airlines and related components. Finding a good shop is very important and not having the lead mechanic on the project having a stroke midway through the work!

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums. That was on a st8 truck, so a tractor might be more for its a tandem rear end, more holes to relocate=more labor

Last edited:

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for your reply.

Any idea on where I can find a shop that is worthy of the task?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recall John Elliot posting some years back about a place in the Detroit area that did some stretches for him. He will probably chime in or you could p.m. him.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Harris truck body Newport news va
Is a great shop, reasonable price
Phone number 757 874 0155

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any updates I'm looking to do the same thing on a VOLVO VNM 630.

If the cost is reasonable and the job is well done then this could be a huge opportunity!

TKNIGHT can you post up the info that did your stretch the 4800$ price sounds better then a quote I got today of $8000 in OKC.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I was reading a tread I thought it was here but can't find it now about doing conversions of tractors to box trucks

I would like to know how it's done and where to get accurate pricing for doing so my thought was to buy a nice used tractor and make a heavy box out of it
It seems that tractors are a little bit less expensive on the front side and I might be able to cash flow the rest

Anyone know anything about this subject?
There are several trucks available on Truck Paper that were built as long wheel base st. I, in particular like the new 2014 Argosy with the factory steer axle.

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I am currently stretching a 2007 Pete 387. The shop that is doing it for me is local to my area in N. IL.

Heavy Industries, Located in Freeport, IL

I'll have a tandem setup with a 26' box and liftgate when it's all said and done. Quoted anywhere between 5-7k for the job. They do all of the ILDOT trucks and had me go out in the shop and look at one they were already in the middle of stretching. Very impressive for a shop to be so open around here.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am currently stretching a 2007 Pete 387. The shop that is doing it for me is local to my area in N. IL.

Heavy Industries, Located in Freeport, IL

I'll have a tandem setup with a 26' box and liftgate when it's all said and done. Quoted anywhere between 5-7k for the job. They do all of the ILDOT trucks and had me go out in the shop and look at one they were already in the middle of stretching. Very impressive for a shop to be so open around here.

Are you sure it's going to be under 40 ft in length when it's finished? That long of a box on a class 8 with just a normal size sleeper sounds like it would add up to over 40 foot long.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Are you sure it's going to be under 40 ft in length when it's finished? That long of a box on a class 8 with just a normal size sleeper sounds like it would add up to over 40 foot long.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Front bumper to end of the box will be 40 feet exactly. the little side steps add 2 feet at the back of the box, but they are removable.