Hello all!

RevKev

New Recruit
Driver
Hello, folks! I've been researching sprinter van expediting the past few weeks (when I'm not pulling this tanker around). Just trying to soak in as much info as I can. I've pulled flatbed for 6 months, tanker just over 2.5 years, all as a company driver.

My bride and I have always said we have no desire to own a tractor, but "hotshot" might be a way to have my own business. From what I've learned thus far, I'm leaning van rather than a dually and trailers.

So far there's been a lot of reading, note taking, etc. I've also spoken with one company (after viewing their website) that is looking to hire owner operators. The guy was cordial, gave lots of time to all my questions, and seemed impressed with some of them. lol.

Anyway, I won't ask anyou questions right now. Just wanted to say, "Howdy", and I'm glad I found this place. I've already learned a lot just in the last couple of hours.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Read the last several weeks here closely. There are more straight truck loads than there are straight trucks to haul them, and there are roughly 237 cargo vans (vans, Sprinter and Sprinter wannabes) for every cargo van load to be shipped. Rates for straight trucks are holding pretty good, while in a van you have to pay the broker/dispatcher to run the load.

That's an exaggeration. Unfortunately, not much of one.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Read the last several weeks here closely. There are more straight truck loads than there are straight trucks to haul them, and there are roughly 237 cargo vans (vans, Sprinter and Sprinter wannabes) for every cargo van load to be shipped. Rates for straight trucks are holding pretty good, while in a van you have to pay the broker/dispatcher to run the load.

Also straight trucks can run van loads too.

RevKev

New Recruit
Driver

Yes, I've been reading that info (here, as well as in other places). That in mind, I'm also researching the differences in running/maintaining the two types. Also comparing diesel vs. gasoline (upfront costs, longevity, running/maintenance, etc.). Just a lot to consider. Sorta feel like a thirsty guy that's drinking from a fire hydrant! lol

Reactions: Treadmill