Headed to Panther!!!!

Gene Forshey

Active Expediter
So i booked my flight yesterday and im headed for Ohio on Sunday!! Orientation starts on Monday!! Going Solo straight!!! Hows the miles for a solo straight??

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Good luck at panther I couldn't tell you what to expect there now 13 years ago it was great for a single but things changed since then I am sure. I will say on the broker side they broker out alot of straight truck freight now. and if I didn't
have my own authority I would be there using there authority and if they didn't keep you busy enough at least they will let you book your own freight. for a fee of course I think its around 15% but they still pay you just like they do loads they give dispatch you on. So once you learn things I am sure you will do great.

Reactions: Gene Forshey

tattoo

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Most fleet owners wont take solos in ST at Panther because there is no money to be made unless they have a team... I had asked about a solo spot as i am thinking of purchasing a ST in the next month.. The recruiter quoted me top 20% of solo ST fleet avg 40k loaded miles per year and Teams at 116k ... do the math at your trucks rate.

There are some Panther fleet owners on the forums that can give their real life exp facts my info is just from a recruiter at Panther.

Gene Forshey

Active Expediter
Your right most fleet owners dont!!!!! But i found one to take me on as a Solo! As of right now im single no kids and no reason to come back home! Maybe pass through once in a while to see sisters/dad once in a while! So no im not looking to go get rich!!! To me this is an adventure! Eventually who knows maybe i will team but for now!

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
I am a solo driver. I am thinking about switching companies. Mine, I found out is paying me a very low rate. I am also tired of sitting more than driving. Does Panther require a CDL? I do not have one of those. I can get one if needed. I also own my own van (actually my father owns it because I could not afford to buy one to get started). I was told frieght was slow everywhere, but reading this I might have been lied to. UGH

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
It's always a little slow this time of year and yes I think you do need a cdl to drive for panther.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Universal is 10x better then Panther for C/V imo, expect hundreds dollars in deductions a month, and less miles if your a solo. And you will rarely get anything over 700(as solo) miles without them swapping your frieght with another driver. And expect to be penalized for refusing any load.

Last edited:

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
Universal is 10x better then Panther for C/V imo, expect hundreds dollars in deductions a month, and less miles if your a solo. And you will rarely get anything over 700(as solo) miles without them swapping your freight with another driver. And expect to be penalized for refusing any load.
Okay, thank you. Maybe it is just slow. The pay is only .79 mile with fsc. Maybe that is not as low as I think it is. Ya, I have to have a lot of miles.

Gene Forshey

Active Expediter
So first week out as a Solo in a ST with Panther!!!
Day 1 and 2 of course was orientation!!
Day 3 and 4 was a little nerve wracking sitting with no load!! But i do think that may have had something to do with the number of people hitting the road!!!! The rest of the week has been fair!!! Have done about 1400 loaded miles this week!!! Off to Iowa in the morning from Hannible MO!

drizion

Expert Expediter
Driver
I drove a straight truck for panther for about two years. it's not a bad company but solo's are a nono depending on who you drive for. you will be sitting more than rolling you got to have a team if you wanna make money..Im taking off the rest of this year the construction is horrible anyways ...

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Glad to hear things are going ok for you. as far as universal isn't that the re-incarnation of CTX?
15 years ago it was really quite fun to be a single st operator at panther I did a lot better than the team quote mentioned by tattoo.

Gene Forshey

Active Expediter
Glad to hear things are going ok for you. as far as universal isn't that the re-incarnation of CTX?
15 years ago it was really quite fun to be a single st operator at panther I did a lot better than the team quote mentioned by tattoo.
Yeah i talked to a friend of mine last night and we compared...hes running as a team and his pay was 40 dollar less than mine and they did twice the mileage i did! Dont sound any better to me....atleast ive got peace and quiet!

Reactions: artie and RoadTime

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Right and the part some people seem to have a hard time understanding. the quality of rest you get is much better with the single operators. I sometimes have teamed with my own brother and cant rest properly.So from a safety standpoint I would think single operators in company owned trucks would really be the best option. why should a guy have to smell someone else s farts?