HazMat Renewals... Security Checks...

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The co. I run for is asking me to move my CDL from FL to SC.
I have Passenger, Tanker, and HazMat.
SC says I will have to drop the HazMat endorsement, and retake the HazMat test... AND pay $183 for a retina scan (eyeball scan) and fingerprinting... along with a full background check.
I've held HazMat for over 2 years.
The tanker and passenger will automatically be switched over at no charge.

I also have to pay 15 bucks for the license transfer.

They said I can go to FL and get the security checks done there, but they (SC) does not know if I will have to retake HazMat test down there or not. They said if I get the checks done in FL I won't have to get them done in SC...
however, it'll still be 6 weeks before I even find out if I'm "approved for HazMat"...
AFTER I TAKE THE TEST AND PAY THE MONEY!!!

I would like feedback from the forum on this, and if anybody has encountered the "Patriot Act" as the DMV's are calling it.

Tonite I've got to run to DC and will be gone thru next Monday, but I'll be back to check this thread.
I will keep you all up to date as to what I encounter next.

I don't want to drop my HazMat totally, even though I currently drive tour busses - I like the idea that I have the HazMat on there if I need it.
HazMat makes me a "more attractive" driver to fleets/owners/co.'s.

it's true ya know... Fish fear me... and women want me.

I know, it's not a lie if you believe it.

Smile!

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I also live in Florida and checked with my local licensing bureau and they said if the Haz-Mat endorsement is within 1 year you do not need to retake the test. They assumed that S Carolina would be the same. Of course you know what they say about that word ASSUME, don't you?

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
How can a company tell you to license in another state? Better yet, How can you? If you live in florida is that not where you would have to be licensed? Also, if you get a SC license would you then be paying SC taxes insted of FL (No income take in FL right???) until you file your returns?

Unless you really love your job I'd tell them no, or make them pay for it. Just does not seem right to me.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We found out the same thing basically for a transfer to Georgia. GA has hired a background check company that you have to fill out the form for and send away. It's lengthy, in depth. And we have to pay them $98.00.

We would transfer our CDL's with all the endorsements right away, except the Haz-Mat. The checking co. then runs our background (6-8 weeks), notifies GA and us, then we can go in and retest to renew/transfer our HazMats.

I can only imagine how happy our carrier will be when we say "We can't haul Haz-Mat for 2 months".

The Gibster

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Federal Regulations require commercial vehicle operators to hold a CDL issued by their State of residence. If you don't move to SC, your CDL should stay with FL. Perhaps your company, if based in SC, thinks you should be licensed there.

The following from the SC DMV:

Transferring Your CDL License From Another State

After establishing residency in South Carolina, you must apply to transfer your CDL license within (30) days.

Additionally, you must surrender your FL CDL when you apply for a SC CDL. You may be without a license while the background check is being performed.

hdl

Expert Expediter
>Additionally, you must surrender your FL CDL when you
>apply for a SC CDL. You may be without a license
>while the background check is being performed.

Typically you would be issued a temporary CDL.

On another note: It would be nice if all drivers would simply refuse to renew their hazmat endorsements until the Patriot Act is repealed. This refusal should be made known to your Congressman.

SillySafetyGirl

Expert Expediter
To all concerned about the hazmat endorsement:

I recently read an article in "Keller's Motor Carrier Safety Report" (April 2005 Vol. 31 - No.4) regarding the new federal and regulations pertaining to the hazmat endorsement.

Here are the main points in the article for your reading pleasure:

Phase one of the program began with TSA conducting name-based checks on all 2.7 million hazmat drivers to determine whether any presented a potential terrorist threat.

Phase two augments this effort by adding a fingerprint-based criminal history records check and immigration status check.

The third and final phase of implementation begins May 31, 2005, when drivers who currently hold HMEs and wish to renew or transfer the endorsement must undergo the fingerprint-based background check.

The Act prohibits states from issuing, renewing, or transferring HMEs unless the driver successfully completes TSA's security threat assessment.

States were given the option to collect fingerprints themselves or have a TSA contractor, Integrated Biometrics Technologies, do it for them.

Seventeen states have elected to complete these tasks using state resources:
Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Applicants in states that have opted to use the TSA contractor can pre-register at www.hazprints.com, or call a toll-free driver help desk at (877) 429-7746.

Fees - $94 for applicants who submit fingerprints and applicant information to the TSA contractor.
$56 plus state fees for applicants who submit fingerprints and applicant information to a state.

If TSA disqualifies an HME applicant, the driver can appeal the finding or seek a waiver from TSA. Drivers who do not wish to transport hazardous materials do not need an HME, and drivers who surrender an HME will not be required to complete a security threat assessment.

For complete Federal Register ruling, you may visit Keller's website at www.jjkeller.com/tmc

I hope this has cleared up some of your questions regarding the new regulations. Technically, it's a federal issue, not a state issue. If this didn't clear things up for you, please call the toll-free driver help desk at (877) 429-7746.

Keep on keepin on,

Silly

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
My co-driver had to retake all of his CDL and be finger-printed for hazmat (illinois), we still cant figure out why they did this to him but he passed all with flying colors but has to wait for fingerprints to come back to get hazmat endorsent back on his license. his cost for hazmat...94.00.

I asked about mine which expires in November 2005. they say if i renew prior to may 31st, i have to pay only 60.00 and no fingerprint until next renewal...go figure???x(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think the whole thing is total overkill. It does very little to address any security problems. The terrorist that want to blow something up, will steal the truck. A hazmat license does nothing to address that.
We might catch a few illegals without green cards, but that is about it.
Just my opinion
Davekc

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
ya but it makes people feel safe. our elected idiots can't make us safe so they pass silly little laws to make us feel like we are safe. Can't say I have ever seen a placarded truck or car bomb.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
When I got my letter from Indiana DOT that my hazmat endorsement would need to be renewed, I contacted one of the Indy license branches that could process hazmats. When asked what I would need, the answer was a hundred bucks, my CDL, my SS card, and a copy of my physical. My physical? I am sure there is a direct link between some one taking thyroid medication and being a terrorist.

Thanks. :+ :+

Draco

Expert Expediter
>When I got my letter from Indiana DOT that my hazmat
>endorsement would need to be renewed, I contacted one of the
>Indy license branches that could process hazmats. When
>asked what I would need, the answer was a hundred bucks, my
>CDL, my SS card, and a copy of my physical. My physical? I
>am sure there is a direct link between some one taking
>thyroid medication and being a terrorist.
>
>Thanks. :+ :+

I just renewed my liscense this month in Indiana and all I had to do was retake the HazMat test and spend $30. But they did say that next time I do my DL renewal it will be fingerprints and $100.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Terry:

How can you tell if terrorists are fat when they are dressed in bed sheets and wear Granny's tablecloth on their heads.

:+ :+

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, sorry for the late reply guys... I been puttin' on some heavy miles in the past month.

Here's the deal, for those that don't know. I was an expediter. Prior to that I was a tour bus driver.
I'm now a tour bus driver... again, for the past 7 months or so.
However, I want to keep my HazMat, not drop it and Never renew it.

I live in SC, SC is now my state of residency. I have found out that upon opening a bank account in SC that I have 90 days to get a SC license. The co. I work for just got a DOT Audit, from I might add one of the top "State of SC Transportation Police" officers. He said I have 90 days... so, I'm going to listen to him, and abide by that.

Reside in SC now, drive for a SC based co.,
I can no longer hold my FL CDL.

As far as the HazMat issue, I will be going to FL within 7 days of today, and will go to DMV there in Ocala, FL and find out.

I thank you all though for your comments.

I will post my findings/story regarding my HazMat/License tranfer once it is all completed... which will hopefully be within 30 days or less - even though I have 90 days according to the DOT officer.

The Big Bus

PS
The reasoning behind keeping my HazMat, is that when bus biz slows I'd like to run expediter in Winter (Nov/Dec-Feb.).