Hazmat Renewal

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just began the online form for renewing my hazmat endorsement. The very first question was: Type of Endorsement-H or X. No explanation of what H or X stands for. If H = Hazardous, what does X =.

I realize this is looking like an algebra problem. My math skills have lapsed. Can someone help me with this?

markafd

Expert Expediter
Moot, it should be on the back of your license if Im not mistaken X is a combination of hazmat and tanker if you have a tanker endorsement.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have hazardous and tanker. All of my endorsements are fully spelled out. No abbreviations or single letters.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You're right. I just checked my TX CDL. I have an "X" and it says on the back "Tank vehicle and Hazardous Materials". I never knew that. On the front it says "TX". Which, in Texas, therefore, means "Doubles-triples, Tanks and HazMat" I just never checked on it before.

Thanks for the insight.

Chet Merithew
The Prodigal Son of A. Blair
Truck #81105
OOIDA #828583

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
"X" endorsement is for hazmat and tanks. but doesn't it also cover air brakes?
I have X endorsement and have hazmat, tanks, and air brakes .....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When the CDL was forced on us, I recall something about uniformity, conformity and standards for all states to follow. Oh well!

The back of my license reads:

Endorsements: Motorcycle, Passenger, Double/Triple, Tanker and Hazardous.

No X or H and nothing about air brakes. I was grandfathered in and only took some written tests. I do remember a section on air brakes, I think?

Don't they make that ppsssssssssssssshhhh sound?

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Class A CDL assumes air brakes since it is part of the written and road test. A Class B requires the endoresement to be listed since it isn't part of the "body of knowledge" of a Class B license.

Chet Merithew
The Prodigal Son of A. Blair
Truck #81105
OOIDA #828583

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
My Class 'B' license includes air brakes and there is no endorsement required. Without air brakes, the highest class is 'C'.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
In VA. "X" on the back stands for corrective lenses. I have hazmat and tanker endorsements "H" for hazmat and "N" for tanker this is for a class A CDL, I do not know if a B is any different

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Just as a side note- to anyone reading this- if you have never given fingerprints for hazmat before, do it early. My state takes 10 weeks to return the OK, even if you are just renewing. Oddly, a neighboring state takes about 5 days....so you never know.
-jansiemoo

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>My Class 'B' license includes air brakes and there is no
>endorsement required. Without air brakes, the highest class
>is 'C'.
This must vary with state because I know several hotshotters with a CDL A with no air brake endorsement .

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just did the fingerprint part in Alabama, (electronically - no ink!) after applying online (and paying $89) at www.hazprints.com. I was told it takes 2-4 weeks for the clearance, so which is the really fast state?
PS The fingerprinting locations aren't real truckfriendly, as far as parking goes.