Hazmat question?!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle, did Moot's elevated decible levels sound anything like the old guy down the street yelling at the kids to get out of his yard?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Deitzberg

Rookie Expediter
I am transporting cyclinders in a Trailer that is being pulled with a pick up truck. I was told that both the truck and trailer are combined into one unit for the 1001 rule. After reading this below I question if it I am allowed 1000 in each.

171.8 Definitions and abbreviations.
Transport vehicle means a cargo-carrying vehicle such as an automobile, van, tractor, truck, semitrailer, tank car or rail car used for the transportation of cargo by any mode. Each cargo-carrying body (trailer, rail car, etc.) is a separate transport vehicle.

172.504 General placarding requirements.
(a) General. Except as otherwise provided in this subchapter, each bulk packaging, freight container, unit load device, transport vehicle or rail car containing any quantity of a hazardous material must be placarded on each side and each end with the type of placards specified in Tables 1 and 2 of this section and in accordance with other placarding requirements of this subpart, including the specifications for the placards named in the tables and described in detail in §§172.519 through 172.560.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I see your point.
Each trl in a set of doubles, or triples is separate.
As are train cars.
They can have differing origins.

What you would like to do may work, with some cops.
If you get caught, it probably would be quite a hassle, even if you're right.

O/S, impounds, etc, while getting it sorted out.

If it's important to you, I 'd have a Transportation Lawyer look into it.

If you guess on the side of error, and are involved in an accident you may wish you had never seen a cylinder in your life..

Just one man's opinion. I get very conservative when dealing with Hazmat.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Hazmat endorsement requires training, testing, and a TSA threat assessment. Other endorsements may be required based on the types of vehicle or passengers. Drivers with no Hazmat endorsement on their CDLs may transport quantities of hazardous materials that do not require placards, but hazardous materials training per 49 CFR 172 Subpart H is still required.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
sentiment - rhetoric - quotes - opinion - perception
I realize this is a resurrected 3 year old topic, but I've got to say - if I'm subjected to an inspection, I am NOT going to parse the Federal nomenclature and argue every nuance of the definition of "hazardous materials" with someone who has the power to ding my CSA and initiate substantial financial burden. If I'm hauling anything listed in the orange book, in any amount, I'm going to make sure I've got the training necessary to do it safely and the license endorsement to prove it. Period.

Besides, if I'm not smart enough to pass the Hazmat endorsement test, I sure as hell don't need to be hauling anything dicey.

Just sayin'. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I realize this is a resurrected 3 year old topic, but I've got to say - if I'm subjected to an inspection, I am NOT going to parse the Federal nomenclature and argue every nuance of the definition of "hazardous materials" with someone who has the power to ding my CSA and initiate substantial financial burden.
You don't have to parse or argue anything with the DOT, as they already know the regulations.

If I'm hauling anything listed in the orange book, in any amount, I'm going to make sure I've got the training necessary to do it safely and the license endorsement to prove it. Period.
It's admirable that you would want to make sure you have the necessary training and license endorsement to haul one pallet containing a single Group 31 truck battery, although not a lot of either is required.

Besides, if I'm not smart enough to pass the Hazmat endorsement test, I sure as hell don't need to be hauling anything dicey.
If you're smart enough to pass the HAZMAT endorsement test and you know the regulations, then you would know that nothing you haul would be dicey. It's pretty clear cut.

Just sayin'. :)
Go read this, and then say it again.
Expedite Now Trucking Magazine - Can You Haul HAZMAT Without an Endorsement?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If that article on hazmat isn't a sticky, it oughtta be - it's the most concise and clear explanation of a subject that confuses many drivers I've ever seen.