Hazmat Question?

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Keith and I have been diligently studying for our hazmat test. We plan to add the hazmat endorsement and passports to our CDL's as soon as we can get home to do so. I am starting to think I might actually be able to pass the test. (Have been a little nervous about it as several people have told me it is a very difficult test and they had to take it twice before passing it.) Now my question is not about the hazmat test. What I want to know is hazmat routing? The hazmat study guide from the Georgia DMV does not mention anything about routing other then you must pre-plan your route and have a copy in the cab with you. Question is how do you pre-plan the hazmat route?

Ok, I understand about following the HC signs, such as taking the by-passes around citys ect. What I don't understand is, take for instance, WV I-95 or TN I-40 the tunnels. How do you get around the tunnels. Is there some guide that explains how to plan these hazmat routes? Is there a GPS that has Hazmat routing? Is there any POI's that give hazmat routes for Microsoft Streets and Trips. I currently use a Magellan GPS with a Microsoft Streets and Trips GPS for back up. Any info you guys (and gals) can provide would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
One other question, is there any other endorsements, cards, ect other then the Hazmat and passport we should consider getting that might help us to increase our miles? Please don't just use the intitials of any cards you might suggest, please include the name. I am a little slow so might not understand unless it is spelled out plainly. Thanks so much. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yesteryear: please don't stress over the test too much - it isn't really that hard if you learn the rules. (I had to take it to renew the HM endorsement, which I wasn't prepared for, and I passed it - it can't be too hard, lol)
Other creds you might want would be FAST (free and secure trade) for Canada, and TWIC (transportation workers something something) for ports :)

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Thanks Cheri, I am studing the book, writing it, typing it, reading it, making myself numerous test from it, ect. Trying to make sure everything is sticking upstairs and not escaping out through the ears. The hazmat portion of the Georgia DMV is 20 pages including the definitions, requirements, diagrams, prep questions ect. Are these 20 pages all there is or is there more I should be learning? We plan to get the FAST card, isn't that the passport card? As for TWIC, how do you get that and do you know how much that one cost? (Seems there is a lot of expenses in these add-ons but we are going to get them to try to increase revenue what with the economy being so bad we need to give ourselves every advantage we can. Everyone should probably consider doing the samething, I personally think it will pay off in the long run.) To be honest the last two weeks of July gave us a bad fright! Only got around 700 miles both weeks, last year got 2500 both weeks. We're use to getting 2000 to 3500 a week minimum so was shocked to get so few miles for over two straight weeks. Hoping it was just a bad run of luck. Have been considering this for sometime July just cinched it for us.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Ok, thanks Cheri. I'm about 95% sure I can pass the hazmat right now. Keith and I go back and forth asking each other questions and I'm getting pretty good at it.
I am really just stressed over trying to find info on how to route for hazmat as I can't find anything that explains it. Like I said, I understand the part where it says for hc to take certain routes around the cities but not about interstates with tunnels where it says hazmat placarded vehicles must exit. That is what is confusing. Exit to where? If we exit before the tunnel will there be hc signs to point the direction around the tunnel or will we be on our own and have to just figure it out? Afraid of running into a situation where we get stuck on a little curvy no truck freindly road and end up falling off the side of a mountain or something horrible like that! :eek: lol :D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Yesteryear,I can't speak for how Tri State does their hazmat loads as I am with the Fed.

Fedex always sets the routes for hazmat so we don't usually worry too much about it,but we double check it anyways and have found mistakes. (They tried routing us over the Ambassador bridge more than once.)

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear,I can't speak for how Tri State does their hazmat loads as I am with the Fed.

Fedex always sets the routes for hazmat so we don't usually worry too much about it,but we double check it anyways and have found mistakes. (They tried routing us over the Ambassador bridge more than once.)

I don't know for sure but I don't think Tri-State gives any routing. Do any of you Tri-State drivers know if Hazmat directions are provided through the company?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yesteryear;
First do not sweat about the test. I took mine back in April and it was the same questions as the practice test. I got something like 100 correct and the girl behind the counter had me checked for a cheat sheet. If I can do it half asleep and aggitate by a state worker - anyone can pass it.

Second, unless you actually haul automotive FAST freight, check with your carrier to see what they will require. The FAST card is helpful when you do cross the border but not yet necessary. However it does not replace your pass port which I would suggest you get one anyway. It seems that one officer in the booth having a bad day is all you need to deal with.

By the way with all the loads I have done to and from Canada, I have yet to have a fast load.

Third - don't worry about hazmat routing, most of it is common sense and pretty much easy to figure out. One thing to remember is no cities rule, that is if there is a bypass, take it. DD mentioned that FedEx does provide routing but IT IS NOT all that accurate, I have been routed through Pittsburgh and recently I have heard the same issue with someone who was routed through Chicago. You have to check it because you are responsible for the routing.

Forth - learn how to fill out your waybill and make sure you understand what paper work you need. My carrier requires me to fax everything to them and they double check my work and the shipper. Even though the shipper is responsible for the paper work, so are you.

Fifth - twic cards are iffy unless your carrier actually has a lot of freight and needs twick approved drivers. If you get your hazmat, the twic fees are reduced. I still think it is a rip off and the FAST card should cover it but doesn't because of money.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The FAST card is a 100% WHTI-compliant document (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) for returning to the United States by land or sea. The FAST card is one of the "Trusted Traveler Cards" (FAST, NEXUS, SENTRI) and replaces the passport for land and sea port entry (NEXUS card may be used for airport entry, tho). See here, here, and here.

You are not likely to ever get a FAST load as an expediter. The FAST Program was designed to enhance security in the entire chain of a shipment, with carriers, drivers and importers all having been pre-assessed and approved for low risk. Bar coded documents for the carrier, driver and importer would be scanned at the Customs Booth, and the trade declarations and verifications are done at a later time, no broker required (same as automotive A49 or a CDRP entry). While carrier and driver participation has been high, importer participation has been extremely low. Very few importers wanted to mess with the risk assessment procedures. As a result, the FAST Program has largely been a bust for almost all shipments other than routine dedicated runs. Expedite FAST loads are very rare, since faxing the documents to the broker for clearance achieves essentially the same thing, particularly when the driver has a FAST card. Instead of the load passing through the border with a verified low risk driver and the declarations and verifications done at a later time, it is all pre-approved and then passes through the border with a low risk driver. Other than for dedicated runs or large numbers of routine shipments across the border, shippers and importers have found that pre-approved shipments (PARS and PAPS) are more efficient (from their perspective) than having to deal with importer risk assessments (it all falls on the carrier and driver).

So, when you reach the border on a PARS or PAPS load, and you have a FAST card, as long as you are aware of precisely what you are carrying ("auto parts" won't cut it, you have to know which parts, specifically), you won't have very many hassles.

The FAST card has a bar code that gets scanned at the border, and because US and Canadian Customs share border crossing information, when they scan your card it tells them everything they need to know about you, like every time you have crossed the border, where you picked up and delivered, lots of things. While a passport and a FAST card are both trusted traveler documents, a passport doesn't give them the kind of detail for commercial crossings that a FAST card will.

As for HAZMAT routing, you can get a detailed list of HAZMAT restricted roads for a given state (or all states) broken down by HAZMAT type from the FMCSA's National Hazardous Materials Route Registry.

For more practice tests for the endorsement (and other tests) go here: CDL Sample Tests

When taking the tests, especially if you are presented with a question you are unsure of what the answer might be, always keep in mind that the HAZMAT regulations are designed for the safety of:

you
others around you
and the environment

in that order. Very important.

The answer to nearly every question can be ascertained as long as you always keep that in mind.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,
Just to add this, the FAST card is not a mandated form of ID, and the officer in the booth does not have to accept it as your ID. He can ask for a passport without any rhyme or reason given to you.

Get a passport anyway.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Yesteryear,I drove for TriState at one time and they did not provide routing and did not provide any additional miles for that routing and most of the time didn't pay any additional for the hazmat even if it was in the load offer.

As for the test, don't sweat it, as long as you read the book the test I took was multiple choice so it should click when you see it. Good luck and be safe.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle,
Just to add this, the FAST card is not a mandated form of ID,
While not mandated, meaning you have to have it, it is nonetheless an acceptable form of ID at the border, at least according to the US Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection....
Department of Homeland Security - Crossing U.S. Borders
U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Land Travel
U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Sea Travel

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) - Travel Document Requirements for Crossing the U.S. Border

...and according to the United States Department of State - Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

and the officer in the booth does not have to accept it as your ID.
Actually he does. He can ask for a second form to verify it, but cannot legally dismiss or reject a valid FAST card as a form of ID. I'm not sure where you're gettin' your information, tho, but I got mine from those who are enforcing the laws (see above).

He can ask for a passport without any rhyme or reason given to you.
He can ask for a lot of things without any rhyme or reason given me. Doesn't mean he's gonna get 'em.

Get a passport anyway.
Why? Just because? If it were free and didn't already duplicate what I have already, sure, I'd get one. Otherwise, there's no need. The law is very specific on what I need.

are12

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear,
Don't sweat the HazMat test. I just took mine last month so I could renew my license and passed it with flying colors. I had to answer 23 questions out of 30 (I am from PA).

The only thing I did to study, I went on line and punched in free hazmat practice tests and practiced on as many as I could. If you can pass those, you will have it made.:D

As for the TWIC card, unless Tristate does a lot of business at the Ports, it would just be a waste of money.

Good luck on your test.

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I live in north georgia and I went to the port of chattanooga and you do not need an appointment like the web site says, it cost me $132. I have not used it yet, but I am the type of person that likes to have everything. As for the georgia hazmat test their study book is old and some of the questions on the test are not covered in the old book they have online, this caused me to fail 2 times, but 3rd was a charm. If you fail the 1st time you can take it again the next day, if you fail a second you have to wait a week, if you fail on the third you have to wait a MONTH!!! with no way to get around the wait, I tried going to another dmv 2hours away, did not work. Georgia has a great DMV!! I hope this was helpfull Good luck!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,
I understand what you are saying but this has happened to me more than once and last week to be exact. I roll up to the booth, hand the card and paper work to the officer and he asks for my passport without hesitation. No scanning of the card, no other questions, just asking for the passport. A while ago I ended tied up in customs compound which meant I had to deal with DHS officers several times that night so I asked the question to the officer behind the counter why didn't the officer use my FAST card when I had one. They used my FAST card at the counter by the way and he said it is the officiers descretion to ask for alternate forms of ID, which means the passport, not a drivers license, not a birth certificate but a passport. He also said that the fine for not producing the passport or other ID is the same as having a messed up FAST shippment you are tryong to get through which I think is ten grand.

The reason I brought it up is that it helps to have the right stuff and right back up when dealing with people who can bend the rules and ruin your day. I can't see anyone sitting in their van telling the guy in the booth that he is wrong about what he is asking for. They haven't started soft skills training for these guys and won't anytime soon so be prepared.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Thanks Turtle, your info is very helpful. I bookmarked both sites. Also thanks wellarmed I also marked your site for study.

Another one I found was a site where you can buy a practice test of 61 questions. According to their add if you can pass it you should be able to pass the Hazmat test. I could easily pass the practice test that I purchased. Here is the site, the practice test was only $6.00.

CDL Hazardous Materials ( hazmat ) Practice Test Members Area Login

Turtle thanks for the site that gives the Hazmat restricted roads that will be extremely helpful.

My question about the tunnels, does anyone know the answer to it? When you get to the last exit before coming to tunnels in for instance, WV on I-70, or the tunnels on I-68 WV, or I-40 in TN, or like the PA Turnpike tunnel, or I-81 in Virginia (Big Walker Mountain) how do you route around these tunnels. I have been watching the Hazmat controlled routes and understand most of it except for the tunnel issues. I notice most of them, the last exit before you enter a tunnel will say "Hazmat placarded vehicles must exit here". Ok, so if I'm carrying a Hazmat load and I exit where it says to, will there be signs showing the Hazmat route around the tunnel or will I have to figure it out? Also, according to the book I am suppose to have a route plan in hand before I leave the shipper with the load, what about deviations from the plan (such as running into the tunnel issue, is it allowable?