HazMat Placards

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I currently have a flip file placard system on my truck. But often , I need a second one and I don't like peel and stick placards because of the adhesive mess left behind.
I am looking at two different kinds for a second one. One is just a plain slip in placard holder, the other is a flip file ( numer-all?) which has flip placards and flip UN numbers.

I like the convenience of the flip file that I have now, so I'm leaning towards the second one being a flip with numbers.

If you use the flip file with flip numbers, how do you like it compared to the slip in holder?
Is it worth the cost?

Thanks
Greg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We opted for slip-in placard holders because placard rules change from time to time. A placard design (color, logo, border, language) that is legal today may not be legal tomorrow. Also, with the kind of expediting we did, some of our HAZMAT loads were unusual. No flip placard would have these unusual placards built in.

Regarding the flip UN numbers, it was rare that we hauled HAZMAT in bulk quantities. Under the rules then in effect, bulk quantity necessitated the display of UN numbers on the placards. Since that happened so seldom, it made little sense to spend money on flip numbers. The placards issued by the shippers had the numbers on them when required.

Reactions: Greg

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just get a slip in holder.
Take your sticky-backed placard and peel back a corner about 3 inches while folding the paper back. Leave the rest of paper on the placard.
Slip it into the holder and use the sticky part of the placard to secure onto the holder.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob made holders for our flip hazmat placards as we only put them on the truck when needed. We have two sets of flip placards that cover just about all hazmats. If though we need to run two types of placards we have slip in holders for the second set of placards. Once we put the placard in the holder Bob runs clear tape around the edges just to be sure they do not come out of the holder.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bob made holders for our flip hazmat placards as we only put them on the truck when needed. We have two sets of flip placards that cover just about all hazmats. If though we need to run two types of placards we have slip in holders for the second set of placards. Once we put the placard in the holder Bob runs clear tape around the edges just to be sure they do not come out of the holder.
What do your holders look like? Got any pics?

Edit: Clarification, The holders Bob made, I know what slip in and flip files look like. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamCaffee

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
LOL Roamin I jumped out and got some pictures. If I can get a picture of the box he stores the placards in I will get it. That is a cool box, it is neat, and he can find the correct placard quickly for what we are doing.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 26