Have you ever stomped your onions?

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Any other gardeners in here? Sis told me to go stomp my onions (the long green shoots need to be bent over and die off) before you pull them and dry them for a few days. Then just go peel off the very top layers.

Just came in with another dishpan full of cukes to be pickled. Picked several quarts of green beans, blanched them and froze them in freezer bags yesterday.

I also have had an abundance of yellow straight squash this year and have been lucky enough to give a lot away. However, one of my harvesters wife had a really scrumptious recipe for using shredded squash in a chocolate cake so I picked and shredded (in 2 cup sizes) about 6 freezer bags of that too.

And we have eggplant this year..am thinking of making another eggplant parmesan...yummy!!

Sure can't do this when I'm on the road so it's a real treat to take this summer and do it!:)

poetish

Seasoned Expediter
my wife stomped my onions once.. that is the last time i put her in a top bunk of a 72" sleeper :eek:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
jujubeans, have you ever tried pickling green beans? or mixed vegetables pickled?

Not yet, but I did make a bunch of pickled beets with onions in them...hubby says they're too sweet but everyone else loved them.

There's also what looks to be a pretty good barbeque sauce in the ball canning book that I'm going to try if my tomatoes EVER get ripe. and they are a turnin....:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Yippee...another 9 quarts of dill pickles are finished. Used my aunt's recipe which is pretty simple and they are just delicious.

14 cups of water
3 cups of white vinegar
1 cup of pickling salt
Bring to a boil and be sure NOT to use an aluminum pan.

pack the sterilized jars with the pickles and 4 or 5 sprigs of dill and pour the hot mixture over them. Cover with sterilized lids and rings and wait till they *pop*. They don't have to be processed.

Hold for 6 weeks and then chill prior to eating.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Bean can be canned hot dill or just dill

green or yellow wax beans for 4 pints you need 5-6 big hands full
steam lightly just before putting in jars

bring to boil 2 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1/4 cup kosher salt

in clean hot jars place 1 med dill head
1 clove garlic cracked
if you want them Hot 1/2 teaspoon cayene pepper (this will make them Hot so adjust to taste)

Pack standing beans in jar, pour hot liquid over and seal with hot flats and rings taken from boiling water bath. Set aside till they *pop*. Store in cool place for 5 weeks or more. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Mixed vegetables can be made hot dill or just dill

8-10 small green or red tomatoes ( soak green tomatoes in kosher salt water for 6-8 hours)
cauliflower florets (lightly steamed)
baby carrots (lightly steamed)
small cumbers 8-10
small onions or cut large onion into wedges
green or red sweet pepper strips
teratoma pepper 1-2 per jar if you want them HOT

heat to boil

2 quarts vinegar
1 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt

In clean hot quarts place

pinch of alum
1-3 garlic cloves (cracked)
1 whole clove
6 pepercornns
1 large dill head

Pack jar tight with vegetable from above that you think you will like.
Pour hot liquid over and seal with hot flats and rings taken from boiling water bath. Set aside till they *pop*. Store in cool place for 7 weeks or more. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Many thanks...the green bean recipe is almost like the Clausen pickle recipe. I'll have to try them. I didn't grow much of the veggie recipe though..so will have to wait a bit on that one.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
I normally buy the cauliflower head, baby carrots and teratoma pepper (round green pepper with a paper like skin, that you take off before you use).

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Some of my tomatoes were ripe for plucking yesterday, so I made a bacon and tomato sandwich for breakfast this morning. Food for the gods! Nothing tastes better than your own home grown tomatoes!!!:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
The gardening is over, the last veggies picked and it's getting close to freezing. Don't know whether to breathe a sigh of relief or regret. Nothing left to do but clear it out, but as the wind's gusting up to 60 MPH today, think that can wait a day or two.