Has anyone done this at a truck stop?

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1468807326.661304.jpg

I'll admit I've been tempted a few times like when spot a wall socket out on sign or something. There's a flying up on i40 in Arkansas Russell something that has a wall socket on a wood stick on the corner of the lot. But I'm always too afraid of damaging the reputation we have with truck stops. FYI I don't know the whole story in these pic. They might have asked the manager. They might not be expediators (black pro master with no numbers). However even asking I think crosses the line.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Lol ive seen a few over the years that have a jumper cable set up to use light post in parking lots
But no I haven't I think it would be stealing and a trip to cross bar hotel

Reactions: Opel2010

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder, tho, what would be a fair price to be able to do this legitimately?

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I've seen plug end spots in the north west but I can't rember the prices but for 24 hours it came out cheaper to stay at motel 6.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Spent 6 months crawling all over commercial buildings when my inverter went out...(printer) got some strange looks

Was totally prepared to pay for the power, had a penny ready for a tip (say 10c a kilowatt, 500 watts for 2 minutes)

Is there such a thing as theft under a buck?

To be fair, it was mostly coffee shops and mcdonalds where they had quite a few plugged in using the wifi

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most places are fine with it if you ask, and its becoming more and more common with people looking to simply charge their cell phone, which is a few pennies at most. I once asked the manager at a Pilot if I could plug in my extension cord to run a battery charger. He didn't have a problem with it at all.

But, yeah, there is such a thing as theft under a buck. It's called 'theft of services.'

Or depending on how hardass they want to be, keep in mind that you're dealing with a power source utility that's regulated and the electricity is being rerouted for personal use ('theft of a utility'), which is a felony, even for a penny's worth of electricity.

Reactions: bubblehead

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So my idea that since it wasn't on a sign not to use the plugs at a truck stop it was OK wouldn't have gone very far...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you see a sign that says free power your good to go. But you know generators or auxiliary batteries work great.

Reactions: Turtle

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ever since they let the price get to 4.40 a gallon I've been trying to get my money back...they stole from me first:p

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
I was sorely tempted at the J north of Dallas along US-75 last year. 95 degrees in July and my little AC was straining to keep up. But the risk of getting booted out was greater than the reward of not dealing with my generator in 95 degree heat.

Reactions: Turtle

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the things I liked about Bolt Express, when I worked their was. They have bobtail plug ins out in the parking lot. So you can just plug in instead of using the geny when you stayed there.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The TA up on the hill from Flying J 40-75 in Tennessee had plug in's. I used them to run AC and/or heater. Went to plug in onetime and the meter was removed.

Reactions: ntimevan

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
View attachment 14273

I'll admit I've been tempted a few times like when spot a wall socket out on sign or something. There's a flying up on i40 in Arkansas Russell something that has a wall socket on a wood stick on the corner of the lot. But I'm always too afraid of damaging the reputation we have with truck stops. FYI I don't know the whole story in these pic. They might have asked the manager. They might not be expediators (black pro master with no numbers). However even asking I think crosses the line.
I've seen this done by a yellow cube at the J in Laredo. The plug was on the back of the building, quite a ways from the parking spot. The guy had 2 extension cords, one wasn't long enough. He used it for at least 2 days, so I guess nobody said anything.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Shore Power Technologies is a dollar per hour plus 1 dollar to activate. The service is 20 & 30 amp + cable for TV. They also have 50 amp 220V. Sometimes I plug in to give the generator a break.

I would think asking a J or TA etc. would be reasonable and even an appreciation tip as a thanks is appropriate.

Hopefully if the need for electricity is realized then companies like Shore Power can grow their business and come down on their price.

Good post ACVOX24!

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had to post my cab temp while driving with the windows down
IMG_20160721_1407339.jpg
Think it's a record (49.5 c is 121.1 F)