Guilt trip thread,,,

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I love headlines like that. They're telling me that if I click the bait, that what I see, I will not even believe. I have my doubts that I won't actually believe it. It's like the headlines that tell me that my mind will be blown if I would just click the bait. I'm betting my mind won't be blown. The headline of "You have GOT to see this!" probably means "Not really. You don't really have to see this at all."

I clicked the bait and quickly saw that the photographs are those by Edward Curtis. So, contrary to the prediction, I actually believe what the photographs captured. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But, are you on a guilt trip?
Different headline. But no, I'm not.

Those pictures don't in and of themselves evoke guilt, anyway. Yes, what the Europeans and later Americans did to the American Indians is bad, and shameful, and despicable. But while I currently, as do most other Americans, and the country at large, benefit from what was done to the American Indians, I do not feel guilty, as I was not a participant, and likely would not encourage the same thing to be repeated.

World history is replete with bad, shameful and despicable things that people do to other people, that later generations ultimately benefit from, including those bad, shameful and despicable things that some Indian tribes did to other Indian tribes that both Indian tribes and later even non-Indians benefited from.