Glade Spring VA Petro; Major Tornado Damage

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sobering photos of the tornado damage done to the Glade Spring, VA Petro and trucks there. I can't tell for sure but it look like that may be a Panther E or ER unit partially in the shop.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Boy that looks bad, looks like the Petro building has heavy damage and the truck stop is gonna be closed for a while

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the orignial post, the word "photos" is underlined. Click that link to see them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Try this link. Photo is by Virginia State Police. Looking for the bigger copy I saw earlier.

EDIT: More photos are surfacing. Here is one of an Express-1 truck in the midst of the Petro rubble.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Try this link. Photo is by Virginia State Police. Looking for the bigger copy I saw earlier.

EDIT: More photos are surfacing. Here is one of an Express-1 truck in the midst of the Petro rubble.

Thank You Phil for reporting this. I have family that lives in Glade Springs, Va and they said it looks like a wars zone. The last report is there are still some people missing. My family told me that there are trucks that was picked up and put on peoples homes. SAY A PRAYER FOR ALL THE PEOPLE HIT BY THIS BAD WEATHER.

DriverX

Seasoned Expediter
Here are some photos of the Petro that I took at 7am that morning.Terrible damage as well as 5 lives lost.My wife cried as we drove past.The truck on its side was blown from the Petro across the street facing the wrong way on the berm of the off ramp to the Petro.

Attachments

• petro tornado 15.jpg
    petro tornado 15.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 70
  • tornado10.jpg
    tornado10.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 64
  • tornado3.jpg
    tornado3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 63
  • tornado2.jpg
    tornado2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 62

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Growing up in Ohio, I've seen a few tornadoes, but nothing even close to that. I would have cried, too, looking at it. [I learned when I visited New Orleans after Katrina that no pictures or videos can really prepare you for actually seeing it with your own eyes.]
A sobering reminder that 'safety' is something we are never guaranteed - it could have been any of us at the Petro.

MLesterJr

Active Expediter
I am a Firefighter/EMT for the Glade Spring Fire Department, there were several injuries at the truck stop, I know first hand because I treated several of them. TA/ Petro can state all they want but it is not the facts. We have finished the search and rescue stage, now it is trying to put the pieces back together.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am a Firefighter/EMT for the Glade Spring Fire Department, there were several injuries at the truck stop, I know first hand because I treated several of them. TA/ Petro can state all they want but it is not the facts. We have finished the search and rescue stage, now it is trying to put the pieces back together.

I am interested in learning more. I see you are a first-time poster here. If you click on my ATeam screen name above my truck photo avatar, a menu will appear that enables you to send me a private message. Please do so and tell me how to reach you. I shared that press release with other truck industry writers. If there is conflicting information, we would like to verify. I know you are busy with important matters. Any time you can spare would be appreciated.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I was at one time a firefighter/EMT. I too know that the reports that come out from some sources are not always accurate. Thanks for posting.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
TA/Petro says there were no deaths or injuries at the tornado-struck Glade Springs Petro. See this

I wonder if they were just talking about no Petro employees being injured? Even when news stories are inaccurate, which this one is, it is not always on purpose. Since it was a Petro release I can see how they COULD make that statement if in fact no employees were hurt or killed. Just a thought. I have seen bad reports that were on purpose and some that were just wrong or reporting a more narrow perspective.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
For those who lives were lost, I pray for them and their families.

Don't take this wrong but outside of the loss of life, the truck stop as a subject pales in comparison to other things that happened that night and it is very low on my list of concerns. I am more concerned about the families who lost everything, including pets than a trucker who lost his truck.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Don't take this wrong but outside of the loss of life, the truck stop as a subject pales in comparison to other things that happened that night and it is very low on my list of concerns. I am more concerned about the families who lost everything, including pets than a trucker who lost his truck.

Wonder how you will feel after you go through something like this? Just saying..... Kinda like a BB in a beer can I bet ya.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wonder how you will feel after you go through something like this? Just saying..... Kinda like a BB in a beer can I bet ya.....

I am not saying that it is something that should be discounted but rather the focus shouldn't be on the place because it is a truck stop or even appear to be. Far too many more people were affected by this other than one truck stop and we worry about our brethren first when we need to worry about everyone.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not saying that it is something that should be discounted but rather the focus shouldn't be on the place because it is a truck stop or even appear to be. Far too many more people were affected by this other than one truck stop and we worry about our brethren first when we need to worry about everyone.

Why worry? Nothing we can do about it. The Gov in Al today said he has more help than he needs. Worring will not help anyone. Well, it may help out your doctor.

jmy7213

Active Expediter

Thats kind of a Bold statement dude. I understand that you are uneducated into the financial burden of people out side of your little world. So let me inform you.

Average house cost for a house in Glade Spring 75-100,000 dollars.

Average Cost for an 18 Wheeler and Trailer 125,000 dollars.
Average cost of Freight inside of the Trailer 200,000 Dollars.

Another thing that you dont realize is that for a Trucker, The 18 Wheeler IS their home. For some, Its their ONLY home. Everything they owned was in their sleepers. Some of these trucks arent just a bed you know. Some sleepers have Kitchens, couches, everything you need to say Home sweet home.

The quote from Petro that no one died in the storm was about their own employees. They do not take attendance for the trucks that are in the parking lot. And yes there was loss of life with drivers there too. 2 drivers are still unaccounted for, also.

So think before you speak. You talk about things you have no idea what you are talking about. You are probably the same kinda of person that has the Ideology that Trucks can stop on a dime, and its our job to get out of your way cuz you are more important than a truck driver. I think the drivers that lost their LIVELYHOODs, and Families that also lost a father or husband driver in that storm deserve as much respect as the people that live in Glade Spring. The difference between the driver, and the Residents, is the residents have a better chance of survival. storm shelters and such. A driver has his truck, and no where to go in an event like this.