Glad to be back

infantrygnr

Rookie Expediter
Hello all, I am a returning Soldier looking into using my class B licence to start a new career as I have done my time and am looking for a career where I am not shot or blown up. I have time driving straight trucks prior to 9/11, drove alot in MRAPs that are pretty large on some of the worst road conditions you can imagine. Im sure stateside traffic can be worse as I didnt have too many problems running or gunning something off the road over there. I have been driving for my friend who has a truck but really want to go over the road in a straight truck. Family is used to me being gone (last tour 18 months)and only have to be back once a month for my reserve obligation and of course 2 weeks in summer for annual training.
I guess my question is are there companies out there who will respect my military service and not knock me for still wanting to serve part time? From reading and research I would like to find a company to drive for and they pay for fuel,etc...At least until i get a feel for the game. Fought and bled for this country and now I want to see it.
v/r
Frank

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would start by contacting a few companies and find out how they calculate your total experience. That may limit or open some companies up for you to consider.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
May want to consider something regional rather than expediting. If you took a load too far away, it is too expensive to deadhead you back every month at a specific time for duty. I believe that is where your biggest obstacle will be.
BTW....welcome to EO and thanks for serving.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
May want to consider something regional rather than expediting. If you took a load too far away, it is too expensive to deadhead you back every month at a specific time for duty. I believe that is where your biggest obstacle will be.
BTW....welcome to EO and thanks for serving.
What Dave says is true. To get home monthly wouldn't be a huge problem....getting home on specific days is probably going to be a bad situation.

Where do you live? That could make a difference.

Thanks for your service!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Need more info. Most companys want driver with a CDL to go through a refresher course if you have been more than 60 days out of the seat. If your in that situation instead of refresher get it upgraded to CDL A. Post 911 GI bill will pay for that and help you get a job. Just a suggestion. :cool: Thanks for your service.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Hello all, I am a returning Soldier looking into using my class B licence to start a new career as I have done my time and am looking for a career where I am not shot or blown up. I have time driving straight trucks prior to 9/11, drove alot in MRAPs that are pretty large on some of the worst road conditions you can imagine. Im sure stateside traffic can be worse as I didnt have too many problems running or gunning something off the road over there. I have been driving for my friend who has a truck but really want to go over the road in a straight truck. Family is used to me being gone (last tour 18 months)and only have to be back once a month for my reserve obligation and of course 2 weeks in summer for annual training.
I guess my question is are there companies out there who will respect my military service and not knock me for still wanting to serve part time? From reading and research I would like to find a company to drive for and they pay for fuel,etc...At least until i get a feel for the game. Fought and bled for this country and now I want to see it.
v/r
Frank
That's all good advice I can't add much except,glad to have you back and Thank You and your family for your Service. I hope things go well for you!