Geezers coming out...

Sockeye007

New Recruit
Researching
I lurked around here several years ago when we thought our business was on the verge of collapse. I am back as my wife and are selling our business of 37 years and think straight truck expediting may be the way to see some of the country we have not seen. We live way out West and way up North (Alaska). We would would have an address and base in Charlotte N.C. for this adventure that we expect to last three to five years. We are both a young '65 & 67' years old, no kids, no grand kids and healthy. We both have U.S. Passports & Global Entry Cards Our fleet of trucks is 18ft-24ft high cube box vans that we both drive on occasion. In my younger days before the CDL I drove tractor trailers of the flatbed, lowboy, drop deck, variety all over the great state of Alaska so I am real comfortable behind the wheel. My wife can drive a straight truck with ease but is a little concerned about her ability to sleep on the road. We will both have class B CDL with Hazmat when we are ready to make the jump. I would think we would make one of the better teams as we have worked together for over 35 years and have been married for 37.We hope to visit the show in Kentucky in July to talk with some folks about the life and meet potential employers. There is a lot to learn and we are willing and able. Any tips, help or recommendations appreciated.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think you're certainly on the right track. Straight truck team expediting is nearly tailor-made for retired couples (who can get along and play well with each other). Coming to the Expo will give you a lot of valuable information. As for sleeping on the road, the first 2-4 weeks out here will be trying, as it takes some time to get settled in on how to learn to sleep in a moving truck, not to mention not having regular showers. Sleep management is one of the most important, and for some the most difficult thing on the road. But after a month of so you should begin to settle in to a routine where it all becomes manageable.

Reactions: TDave and SweetT

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We started our adventure in Expedite in November of 2014. Drove our Sprinter down from Seward. We still struggle with getting proper rest on occasion, so much to do and see. A firm mattress with lots of pillows helps. We like a net type bunk restrant.

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wondering if anyone has attempted using E-track cargo netting as some form of a hammock for sleeping purposes? Started up 3 months ago and as has been mentioned sleep routines are very difficult to get used to. Cot and sleeping bag is not cutting it but then again cold temps. were not helping matters.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wondering if anyone has attempted using E-track cargo netting as some form of a hammock for sleeping purposes? Started up 3 months ago and as has been mentioned sleep routines are very difficult to get used to. Cot and sleeping bag is not cutting it but then again cold temps. were not helping matters.
If you do some digging you might be able to find an old thread where chef Dennis describes his hammock experience, lol.

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Uh oh......that sounds like it might be amusing and ominous at the same time.

Thanks