Fuel surcharge

tknight

Veteran Expediter
According to the latest calculations we owe back almost .05 per mile to someone based on today's costs
Great just can't catch a break can we?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What was the formula and data to come up with that?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel Surcharge Calculator, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association

It varies with your trucks input as. Far as mpg and fuel price but when I did it for mine it came out as .05634 per mile
Most of the carriers that are on a structured FSC are using a much outdated formula I think the baseline amount is a dollar 25 and for cargo van it would be 15 miles per gallon I think straight trucks is either seven or 8 miles per gallon And they use national average

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now I believe the FSC is a +5 cents for a cargo van that is that the formula I earlier posted

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel surcharge is whatever your company pays you, not that it really matters. I normally divide total miles by total pay, for me I don't care much how they break it down.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every carrier I've operated with uses the "standard" formula of $1.25 fuel and the ones I recall were 6, 9 and 15 mpg for tractor, straight and van. Plugging in the $1.25 base to the OOIDA site and 15mpg for a van matches the numbers I last used. I believe at least some carriers are now doing two different formulas for vans, one diesel and one gasoline. I don't know what those are as that change was after I quit driving. FSC should never go below zero although probably at least a few carriers will go negative if they think they can get away with it. Kind of like QC fees.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan