Fuel Anti-gel Additives: Howes v. Power Service

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Its the time of year to use additives to keep your diesel fuel from gelling up. In years past I have used Howes Diesel Treat with no problems. This year a significant price increase has me thinking about Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost.

I note that a bottle of the Power Service product is available at Wal-Mart for about half the price of Howes and it treats the same 100 gallons of fuel. I generally don't see Howes at Wal-Mart, only at truck stops. Case-lot purchases are not an option. We do not get home often enough to resupply the truck and I don't want to lug a case of the stuff around. I also like the Power Service bottles better. They won't crack open and leak like Howes bottles have done. Their shape makes them easier to store in the tool box.

Fuel has changed in recent years to ULSD. Biofuels are showing up here and there. Both products advertise they are reformulated to work with ULSD and biofuels.

I'd love to hear from Open Forum members. What is your current thinking about and experience with these two products?

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have used the Power Service for years and really like the product. We also only buy at the Wal-Mart due to price of the product.

Bob bought a measuring cup at a motorcycle shop so he could accurately add the correct ounces. He added about ½ ounce per gallon. We mainly used the Power Service as it helped our fuel mileage. As we have added other ways to increase our fuel mileage we have quit using the Power Service as the return was not there. We do still carry the product and when we get into really cold areas we will add the Power Service to our fuel once again.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Quest for Power Service...Went to Flying J They wanted $22.00 a jug. Passed out. Went to Wally World. Out of stock. PO`ed went to TRACTOR SUPPLY paid $13.49 a jug.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use Power Service and buy it at Wally World as well. It's a product that's been around a very long time and is trusted by many. That kind of product longevity and customer satisfaction is earned by maintaining quality. Hardly intensive research on my part, but I've never gelled up so I must be doing something right. I use it year round, just a bit less during the warm months,

Thanks for the tip on Tractor Supply, that's a couple bucks less that Walmart. If only there were more of them...

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I've only used Howe's so far and it works pretty well. I haven't tried the other, so I really can't comment.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drove Minnnesota domiciled trucks for 20 years. Always used Power Service. At the OTR company I carried a couple of gallons with me. The LTL company added Power Service to the bulk tank at every fuel drop. Fueling was always done at the home terminal but every road tractor carried a quart jug just in case.

AirGuard or similar airline anti-freeze is a must. Especially for you trailer truckers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a Howe's distributor about 20 miles from my daughter's home. I bought the large bottles that treat 300 gallons for $5.47 per bottle in case lots. I haven't looked at the price in the t/s in a long time but it was $13.99 when I bought mine. I have no problem putting a case into the side box and hauling it along. I usually use 1/4 bottle per tank even though the tank is 100 gal not 75 but that does the job. If it's going to be below zero for extended periods I'll increase to the full amount per tank until I'm out of the extreme cold.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I only use Howes now after my fuel gelled last year with power service diesel additive.Howes says if you gel they pay the tow i have never gel up using there product.I called Power service and talked to them last year after having problems and learned a few things about their product.The first one is watch where you buy it because it does have a shelf life and alot of the bigger stores have it just sitting in the back rooms till next season.Also power service told me it can not be stored in freezing temps because the product will turn to slush and start freezing alot of good this does you if you need it.So if you do use power service product keep it behind your seat where it will stay warm and not down in the tool box.Like i said all this info came right from power service.I was really disappointed after talking to them and thats when i switched to howes.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
PS is probably ok down to about 15 degrees. We experienced the same issue in extreme cold. Had it in a outside tool box and it froze. Pretty much stuck to the Howes and purchased by the case.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
myself i use ace's II good to 19 below
if you run in real cold weather you can have it made to temp one gal treats 2,000 gals of fuel

e mail if you want more info

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Before the electronic engines,I havce used Power Service,And few of the other anti gels,I even used Howes til I had a truck gel up,and they sent me three bad checks for the towing.They also now state you must use their product year round to get the guarantee.Now for you non believers,since I bought my 1st electronic engine,which was in a 1995 KW,3406 E Cat,I have not bought 1 drop of any additives,and have not been gelled up yet,knock on wood,and I have drivin in 20 below zero weather.When its cold enough to gel the engine,I dont shut it off,and the resurculating of the fuel,keeps it from gelling.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
we used ps in our mid 80's mercedes a couple years back. mixed it with the b-20 and never had a gel issue. left the bottles in the trunk so we had them when we fueled. i also use the ps in my vw. did i mention our cars sit outside on the driveway? alwys plugged in to keep the little buggers warm.

i used both ps and howes last winter in the d units. never saw much difference except in price.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you all know that the fuel you buy has additive in it,thats why your fuel mileage drops in the winter time,and if your worried about gelling,just add #1 fuel to your #2 or put #1 in altogether.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you buy PS at Wallyworld, take a look at how many gals it treats. More than likely, 250, not 300, like it used to be. They have 1/2 liter less in the bottle, and raised their price. Not getting it there anymore.

While I'm talking about scalping... Wavy Lays chips used to have 13-14 oz in them. Now they have 11, and charge $3.99 a bag if they aren't on sale at a smaller store. Smells like buffalo chips to me.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
A few years ago I fueled in IL, they only had bio-blend labeled "at least 11%", I added Howes since I'd heard so much good. Sure enough -6 that night, gelled up while idling. The mechanic said he loves Howes, it makes him money all winter long. The trick is to use it year round. If you want to treat just for cold weather he recommended PS. I now also carry the 911 he mixed with kerosene to get my truck running again.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I use Power Service - had been using it at home to treat the off-road for the tractor which tends to sit for awhile. Buy it at Tractor Supply. I've used Howes as well. Only time I ever had a problem was when I wasn't using anything.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hawk, I'm seeing the "treats 250" bottle everywhere, so it's not a Wally World thing. I'm gonna stick with PS. I always keep it in my sidebox and have never seen it turn to slush.