From Straight Truck to Tractor Expediting

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
If you started out in a straight truck or cargo van in expediting and moved to a tractor/trailer. We'd like to speak with you about this transition.

Please drop us an email - Thanks! Email: [email protected]

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you started out in a straight truck or cargo van in expediting and moved to a tractor/trailer. We'd like to speak with you about this transition.
Its about time somebody spoke to those people. Straighten them out Lawrence. Let them know they're doing it backasswards.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
LOL! It does sound like they're about to be grounded or have their allowance taken away!! LOL! :smuggrin: :happy:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
At least from my thread about the issue, there aren't a heck of a lot of them. Most want the easy road, as shown by what seems to be 90% of the active members/threads.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
SOME ONE OVER THE WEEKED TEXED ME THT EXPEDITERS SERVICES WAS SELLING THERE STRAIGHT TRUCKS AND BUYING TRACTORS TO PULL FEDEX TRAILERS AND ASKED THE Q. A TVAL!!! TVAL!!! TVAL!!!

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm writing that letter. I went straight truck expediting, T/T OTR,T/T expediting, T/T OTR, then Sprinter expediting. It's just late right now and I need to finish my gin and tonic before I go to bed (I'm at home). I'll finish it tomorrow.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey Chet, good to see you.

Just wondered, since I'm getting back into a rig after 20 years tomorrow. If they're still interested, after if I know if I'll make it, I'll write a letter too. I'm nervous as hell. I hope I have a good trainer.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's a bit of a culture and size shock pulling that 53 foot trailer behind you. But, every day gets easier. Don't be intimidated by your trainer. He just doesn't want you to kill him and wants to get as many miles as he can while you are with him. It's all about the money. When I trained, I always worried about my trainee because they are there for a short time and have no experience on the truck and on the road. You've been driving over the road for how long now? You will be a refreshing change for your trainer. Have fun.

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The great news is that with many of these big companies you will have more miles going in reverse than your trainer will have going forward.

asap4u

Expert Expediter
We have been transitioning our 10 unit class 7 and 8 straight truck expeditor fleet over the past 6 months down to 5 straight trucks and added 5 tractor trailers (2 53' dry van, 2 48' reefer, 1 53' reefer). Too many no-load days with the straight trucks due to too many straights chasing too few loads and driving the rates down.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
It's a bit of a culture and size shock pulling that 53 foot trailer behind you. But, every day gets easier. Don't be intimidated by your trainer. He just doesn't want you to kill him and wants to get as many miles as he can while you are with him. It's all about the money. When I trained, I always worried about my trainee because they are there for a short time and have no experience on the truck and on the road. You've been driving over the road for how long now? You will be a refreshing change for your trainer. Have fun.

You're right. Everything has come back to me. Trainer says I'll be done soon, and that it's nice that I know my way around. I think my straight truck experience has benefited me more than t/t school 20 yrs ago. I have 15 yrs in a straight, out of the last 20.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You're right. Everything has come back to me. Trainer says I'll be done soon, and that it's nice that I know my way around. I think my straight truck experience has benefited me more than t/t school 20 yrs ago. I have 15 yrs in a straight, out of the last 20.

Yeah those schools are just a means to get your license. The only way to learn the job is to do the job.

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yeah those schools are just a means to get your license. The only way to learn the job is to do the job.

While I agree with you, to a large extent, my school put a lot of time into making sure we were ready for training w the company. I believe I wasn't ready to drive t/t.

Reactions: paullud