Ford transit question

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
350 can haul more weight then a 250. Wheel base are all the same. I have the t350 with the 3.5L an had 4200lb loads an runs like a champ. 3.7L has no power.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are looking to buy a Transit don't get a T-250 or the T-350 HD. Go with the T-350 SRW and stay under 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that chart tells nothing....where is empty weight.? you know its SCALE weight with you , full tank plus all the accesssories....MINUS the GVWR.....
example #1: you weigh in at 6,000 Lbs subtract that from 9,000 leaves a 3,000 lb payload
Example #2: you weigh in at 6,500 Lbs subtract that from 9,000 leaves a 2,500 lb payload

Reactions: Mike99

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Manufacturers rarely, if ever, post Empty Weight, since that's going to be different for each van, dependent on how it is outfitted. They'll post the Curb Weight, which is in effect the empty weight, or in lieu of the Curb Weight, they'll post the GVWR and the Max Payload, for which the Curb Weight can be calculated by subtracting Max Payload from the GVWR.

Reactions: Moot and Mike99

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As mentioned the curb weight is merely a guide. Different options affect the empty weight. My van probably weighed more than yours because of options like the dual batteries and power seat and the fact that yours took the scenic route to the dealer.

Always weigh your van after outfitting it and subtract that weight from the GVWR.

John Cassidy

Active Expediter
Researching
Isn't the width between the tire wells less on the 350 than the 250? I thought you had to use the 250 extended to get 3 palettes? Is the 350 capable of fitting a palette between the wheel wells?

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Isn't the width between the tire wells less on the 350 than the 250? I thought you had to use the 250 extended to get 3 palettes? Is the 350 capable of fitting a palette between the wheel wells?
THE 350 SINGLE REAR WHEEL YES. The dual,I dont think so

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are running 4200 lb loads in that van, are you also logging that load because if you get stopped by DOT they may pull out the portable scales and get your weight. Guess what happens when they realize you are over 10001 lbs. They will ask for your log book and if you don't have one, tickets start flying everywhere as well as a mandatory 10 hr break.