Fleet owners that pays by W2.

djmcgett

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all,

I was wondering if there are any fleet owners out there that has straight trucks, cargo vans, and sprinter vans that pays their drivers by W2?

DJ

Pigeon Post

Active Expediter
I do. I pay Sprinter drivers $.325 p/mi to start for all miles, loaded and unloaded, non-cdl straight trucks $.35 p/mi. I pay all fuel, tolls, and vehicle expenses. Goal is to get everyone at least 2k miles a week so they can clear $650-$700. Unfortunately we operate out of the US Southwest, so just getting out of here to get to where the work is at is a challenge right off the bat. I could be wasting my time and money even trying, but I'm giving it 3 months to find out.

djmcgett

Seasoned Expediter
Who are you leased on with? Does our vans have a sleeper in them and would you hire someone on the east coast?

djmcgett

Seasoned Expediter
I do. I pay Sprinter drivers $.325 p/mi to start for all miles, loaded and unloaded, non-cdl straight trucks $.35 p/mi. I pay all fuel, tolls, and vehicle expenses. Goal is to get everyone at least 2k miles a week so they can clear $650-$700. Unfortunately we operate out of the US Southwest, so just getting out of here to get to where the work is at is a challenge right off the bat. I could be wasting my time and money even trying, but I'm giving it 3 months to find out.

Who are you leased on with? Does our vans have a sleeper in them and would you hire someone on the east coast?

Pigeon Post

Active Expediter
I've only got a Sprinter expediting at this point. Just dipping our toes into this side of the business. I'll be weighing my options in a few months once I decide whether or not it's even worth it. My local delivery business is stable, profitable, and doesn't keep me up at night. I have a feeling expediting may be more stress than I'm willing to deal with given how competitive it is.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So your saying you take out taxes and SS on all of your drivers because if you are not then you need to issue a 1099 instead.

Pigeon Post

Active Expediter
Yes, all of my local drivers are employees, so I prefer to keep things uniform. Local drivers are paid hourly, OTR drivers are paid by the mile.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do. I pay Sprinter drivers $.325 p/mi to start for all miles, loaded and unloaded, non-cdl straight trucks $.35 p/mi. I pay all fuel, tolls, and vehicle expenses. Goal is to get everyone at least 2k miles a week so they can clear $650-$700. .

So actually how much money are they taking home after taxes?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So actually how much money are they taking home after taxes?

That depends on each driver's unique situation: how much they have withheld for federal, which state they live in, etc. Just for me, on $700 there'd be $21.50 taken out for PA taxes, for instance. Paullud lives in NY, so state taxes are $:eek: , while OVM pays no state taxes at all....