Flatbed auto transport question.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a head hunter asking me if I want to run his truck, International 4300 flatbed to run North East auto transports.
What are the rules as compared to freight in a dry van? Paperwork, restraints, etc.
Its a new field I'm looking at and I want to make sure this guy is doing it right. Also, what is a decent drivers mileage / hourly rate? Owner pays for everything I'm a driver only.

Thanks.

Bob Wolf.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Personally owned vehicles, POVs, or aution/used/wrecks.

POV means go to house, apt complex, etc to meet owner.
Auctions are OK but can involve a lot of walking to find vehicles.

Big thing is who pays damages. It's easy to miss small scratch, dent, particularly in snow, rain. If this will be an issue be on it from the start. Good inspections,write ups.

You'll have to jump a car, air a tire now and then.

Modern tie downs are fast, safe, easy.
Should be supplied with truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Market conditions on rates. Stop and ask car haulers you see whats up in your area.

Same BS as any other truck it's size. Nice thing is you don't have to wait for dock or fork lift driver.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
expediters have selectus car haulers have CentralDispatch | The Auto Industry's Vehicle Transport Marketplace just like seltus you can make some good connections and there are some that move real cheap.but I will say I never sat around there are always cars to move year round work. as far as driver pay goes really could not say alot would depend on the number of cars you can transport may have several different stops and picks along the way.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys,
Owner pays everything. As for damages, I was told write it up or it wasn't damaged when I picked up the vehicle. That makes sense as He wont be there to see for himself to back me up.
If this turns out to be better then dry freight Ill consider possibly doing a body swap with my S/T.

Thanks again.
Bob Wolf

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
About 10 years ago when I had a friend in the car business they were paying anywhere from 7 to 20 cents per mile per car. That was new cars on a 53 footer so it could be anywhere from 7 to 11 units per load.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Your Friend should be wealthy.
50cpm is cheap.
Even on a ten car thats only $5 per mile.
In most cases a you'd be partially loaded a lot of miles.
A three car would be running for $1.50 gross. That's not much money once you throw in some deadhead.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He was the internet manager. Those figures were what the driver was paid, not the full charge, at least as I understood it.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Met a guy hauling cars with a wedge trailer and a heavy duty dually pick up. Said he did real "good" . Did not like loading, securing, unloading in bad weather.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Back in 2001 I ran a wedge. The guy paid $1.25 All miles and you could drop Frt Wrth on Fri and he'd say Be back in Flatrock to load Monday.

He's no longer in business. It was fun.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Auto Expeditor Forums

Auto transport and rv transport forum. There is a good group of folks there and tons of information covering both the auto and rv transporting industries.