Finding Reliable Owner to Drive For

PatsyStone99

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone!
After 7 years of being off the road, we are ready to start driving again. We were White Glove certified with FDCC in 2005, and went from the absolute WORST owner to the absolute BEST in a few months' time.
Our wonderful owners have since retired, and we need to find new owners to drive for. We are currently in CA but planning to relocate to the east coast once we get back out and running.
My question is, how does one go about researching prospective owners? Please don't suggest BBB, because anyone with a buck can get a good report from them (I know, because our bad owner is there).
I'm open to any advice. We are hard-working and ready to be out for months at a time, we just don't want to drive for any slime-balls ~ and we learned there are plenty of them out there.
Feel free to PM!
Hope to see you out there!

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Can you get to the EXPO in July? Great opportunity to check out all the companies to choose from and interview owners and drivers for owners to help you decide which carrier, and which owner as well. We can't name names here but can talk in generalities about good and bad experiences. Best wishes on finding a suitable situation, Melissa

PatsyStone99

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks. I wish the Expo was more accessible for us, but it's just not going to work for now. Ohio just isn't close enough for us. :( I do appreciate your reply, and will do the best I can from here.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
feel free to PM any of us that are connected with a carrier you are considering. Most of us will be glad to share, just not in an open forum that the information could be misconstrued. We are in Oregon. Did the FED two years(TVAL D unit) and six months now with Panther (TT Life Sciences and Elite). Three different owners, three totally different experiences. 18 months in between with a large nationwide LTL carrier. M

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Hello everyone!
After 7 years of being off the road, we are ready to start driving again. We were White Glove certified with FDCC in 2005, and went from the absolute WORST owner to the absolute BEST in a few months' time.
Our wonderful owners have since retired, and we need to find new owners to drive for. We are currently in CA but planning to relocate to the east coast once we get back out and running.
My question is, how does one go about researching prospective owners? Please don't suggest BBB, because anyone with a buck can get a good report from them (I know, because our bad owner is there).
I'm open to any advice. We are hard-working and ready to be out for months at a time, we just don't want to drive for any slime-balls ~ and we learned there are plenty of them out there.
Feel free to PM!
Hope to see you out there!

I was a reliable driver, I drove for myself, you can drive for youself to. If your an owner operator, u have to be reliable imho.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
If you decide to sign with someone at Panther pm me I know a few you definatly want to steer clear of.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The best references are current and past drivers for the owner. An honest one will provide them, and you can find some yourself with a bit of effort. They'll tell you what others don't know, and sometimes, what they consider a negative is something that wouldn't bother you at all.

The opinions of those who may benefit [recruiters, for example] are the least helpful, IMO.

PatsyStone99

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you everyone for replying. I haven't been here for a week or so and had no idea there were so many replies. I will PM you for more info, thanks again!

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Why not place an ad in the EO classifieds ?

Once you get some responses.....you could at least begin to drill thru the respondents and hopefully weed out the undesireables. And I truly believe a couple hours of person to person conversations will able you to clearly see who's it......or the not even close(ers)

CENDYM2009

Seasoned Expediter
thank you everyone for replying. I haven't been here for a week or so and had no idea there were so many replies. I will pm you for more info, thanks again!

hello,are you a team? Are you tval?how about art? I have a 2005 western star sitting at the house that only has one bed,c-unit reefer.

vazauto10

Active Expediter
I was thinking of going team with some one but the owner wants to split the $.41 to $21 each. I trying to understand why that is better. Can someone help?

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

vazauto10

Active Expediter
It seems to me that my .41 should continue as is. I can only drive 11 hours a day regardless of how many drivers operate the truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The idea is you get 20.5 cpm for all miles. Your 11 hours and your partners 11 hours.
Today your partner may drive 11 and you may drive 2. Tomorrow it may be reversed.
They take all the driver's money and split it 50/50.
On the ideal day where you both drive 11 hours is the only day you'll have full income.

vazauto10

Active Expediter
I still don't see why the 20.5 com. The hours on the road are up to the team to deal with. The truck should still pay 41 cpm. Is there some expense I don't see?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still don't see why the 20.5 com. The hours on the road are up to the team to deal with. The truck should still pay 41 cpm. Is there some expense I don't see?

That is what he said the 41 is split two ways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the truck runs 2000 miles each driver will get $410.00. That's 2000 miles x 20.5 cents per mile.
The owner doesn't care if you drove 900 miles and your partner drove 1100 miles.
Payroll is $820 and its up to the team to equalize the work.
It's all about simplicity of bookeeping for the owner.
I ran team at Roadway . They split the pay the same way.

Last edited:

rotcaal

Active Expediter
sometimes finding a good owner is the biggest problem out there. let alone dealing with the company at times :p

rotcaal

Active Expediter
Can you get to the EXPO in July? Great opportunity to check out all the companies to choose from and interview owners and drivers for owners to help you decide which carrier, and which owner as well. We can't name names here but can talk in generalities about good and bad experiences. Best wishes on finding a suitable situation, Melissa

thats what i think is ironic, is that the owner always will interview a potential driver for the job. yet the owners themselves need to be interviewed, because as stated in the topic a bad owner can ruin you.