Fedex

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I'm not new, but newer to FedEx. Looking for someone who would be willing to talk with me and give me some information and tips about fedex. Trying to learn some things, and not sure if it's slow right now or our decisions.

Running team in a WG/Tval DR unit. Sitting a lot and not getting anything for offers really.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
FedEx has recently changed their selection process. Basically flat rate surface trucks are given priority in the selection que over % White Glove trucks. This is on White Glove loads that do not require special equipment such as your reefer, litigate etc. Now reefer/ TVAL 53' pulled by flat rate paid tractors also get priority over your % WG/TVAL DR unit. They are now experimenting on a new pay program that rewards flat rate with bonus per mile after achieving a certain threshold of acceptance/runs.

All these would obviously impact the % WG trucks in a very negative way. A good example would be your time sitting and waiting. These changes have been announced in the weekly bulletin and I believe we got a letter explaining the changes as well. So make sure you read the bulletins and perhaps get your CC or Contract Relations to give you a run down on the selection process.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Casper0418

Casper0418

Rookie Expediter
FedEx has recently changed their selection process. Basically flat rate surface trucks are given priority in the selection que over % White Glove trucks. This is on White Glove loads that do not require special equipment such as your reefer, litigate etc. Now reefer/ TVAL 53' pulled by flat rate paid tractors also get priority over your % WG/TVAL DR unit. They are now experimenting on a new pay program that rewards flat rate with bonus per mile after achieving a certain threshold of acceptance/runs.

All these would obviously impact the % WG trucks in a very negative way. A good example would be your time sitting and waiting. These changes have been announced in the weekly bulletin and I believe we got a letter explaining the changes as well. So make sure you read the bulletins and perhaps get your CC or Contract Relations to give you a run down on the selection process.

I hope this helps.

I must have missed this update, though the changes mentioned would explain a lot. Like why ALL of my recent WG/TVAL/HAZMAT/LG, you name it, have been coming across in the $1.50 per mile range. We did get a load offer today for $1.71 per mile. We have been sitting more as well. I met a SE driver last week that said he was picking up a WG load. Now I know why.

Thank you for the information, Bubblehead.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We have noticed that just in the 5 months we've been doing this, our rates have seemed to come across a lot lower and it's harder for us to get over 1.80 a lot of times. We've also been getting a lot of loads that they just want us to go meet a truck so they can use our pallet jack and lift gate. Probably some surface truck that got the long load and didn't have this equipment. We never do it, it's never been profitable enough.

We have been sitting a lot though lately, and granted we don't know all the best spots to sit, it just seems almost dead for us.

Casper0418

Rookie Expediter
We're setting in NH at the moment. Not exactly a hotspot of activity. However we also saw one of the most profitable trucks in our fleet leaving here this morning. I would have liked to meet them and get some pointers from them. If you want to chat send us a pm and we will get in touch.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think a lot of things play into what you're seeing out there. For example, April is usually a slower month, especially after the huge 1st quarter we had and the snow birds (those that don't run during the winter) are coming back into service.
Hang in there.
I PM'd you my number. Feel free to reach out to me anytime.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I must have missed this update, though the changes mentioned would explain a lot. Like why ALL of my recent WG/TVAL/HAZMAT/LG, you name it, have been coming across in the $1.50 per mile range. We did get a load offer today for $1.71 per mile. We have been sitting more as well. I met a SE driver last week that said he was picking up a WG load. Now I know why.

Thank you for the information, Bubblehead.

The following Bulletins cover some of the items I posted in response to the OP. This should help you better understand.
04/06/2015 "Pay plan testing"
01/19/2015 "Pay rates for tractors (attachment)
12/01/2014 Changes in temp control trucks qualifications

I am still reviewing previous bulletins to reference, but this should give you guidance in understanding factors that tend to change the pattern of activity you have experienced. And as Joes pointed out there is always seasonal fluctuations and associated fluctuations in available power units.

FedEx has greatly improved their communication flow to contractors compared to years past. (When it seemed to be on life support). Sometimes what may seem like bad news may not be bad after all. It is good to seek advice from fellow expediters of all carriers and keep up with your reading on EO, but just remember that numbers by themselves have little meaning. A DR unit that grosses $300,000+ may net less than a DR unit that grosses $240,000.

You can't roll back the odometer (wear & tear) on the truck so try and make each mile count. ALL MILES. That doesn't mean you have to cherry pick each load, but do understand your expenses (truck/business) and operate accordingly. For example: Can you do your grocery run while on a run that doesn't have restrictions such as DDPS or HAZMAT? Can you adjust your time to avoid rush hours and still comfortably make your ETA? Can you idle your truck less? Lots of ways to put more money in your bank and less in your tank. Other suggestions encouraged.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lot of information here but here the thing $2.00 a mile you say really ok how in the world is a tractor trailer going to pay the tolls in and out of Kennedy Airport in NY City at the rate.