FedEx will not ship stuff they think is politically wrong to handle...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They might be extra cautious now since they just got taken to court over illegal pharmaceuticals.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They might be extra cautious now since they just got taken to court over illegal pharmaceuticals.

Sounds like they are taking a ridiculously strong CYA approach based on what it could make. But hey, lets ship that innocent looking pressure cooker :rolleyes:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I side with FedEx on this one; not because of the characteristics of the item in question, but because a carrier should have the right to decline shipping anything it chooses. Be it puppy chow, luxury goods or lethal weapons, if a company does not want to ship it, they should be free to decline the shipments.

Sure, people have rights to manufacture anything legal, but that does not obligate a motor carrier to transport it. The motor carrier has rights too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is this anything like a cake shop being fined for not performing a gay wedding?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say it IS the same. But that's just my opinion. Being forced to cater a gay wedding and being forced to ship something that the carrier feels jeopardizes their -- oh, liability, maybe-- is in the same neighborhood if not exactly the same thing.

Sure, gays and lesbians have rights. But so do religious cake-shop owners.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, it's probably about the contracts FedEx and UPS have with ALL of the firearm manufacturers and major retail gun dealers. They don't want people making their own guns, they want to be able to ride the Obama fear wave and continue to sell their mediocre products at grossly inflated prices. Sounds like the guys at Ghost Gunner need to develop a new marketing plan; get these things on the shelves at Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops - then they can go LTL at a better rate.:)

They need to do this soon before the Chinese start making them for Wal-Mart.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like they are taking a ridiculously strong CYA approach based on what it could make. But hey, lets ship that innocent looking pressure cooker :rolleyes:

and here is a van guy who is learning to hook up trailers in another CYA event? called safety training?.....LOL

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Fedex/UPS, gunsmithing equipment, ... and ... (wait for it) ... Obama ...

Yup ... the ODS is strong in this one ...

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Looking at the dims on this, I am betting I can fit 100 in a Penske Cube. Shark Tank here I come.
Looks like an opportunity knocking at the door for a start-up business. Remember, Roberts Express started by hauling overflow air freight going less than 700 miles.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would say it IS the same. But that's just my opinion. Being forced to cater a gay wedding and being forced to ship something that the carrier feels jeopardizes their -- oh, liability, maybe-- is in the same neighborhood if not exactly the same thing.

Sure, gays and lesbians have rights. But so do religious cake-shop owners.

Baking a cake is not "catering", it's a simple transaction in which a buyer obtains a commodity, while catering is a service that requires a commitment to ensure a very large part of the success of an event.
A concern about potential legal liability has far more validity than a refusal attributed to religious beliefs. The repercussions to the service provider could be major, and that would be a provable fact, not a nebulous 'harm' in the eye of the beholder. When religious beliefs trump laws, what's to stop people from all religions exercising their beliefs? Do we really want to open this Pandora's box?